Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I agree it's important to separate reality from the stereotypes. That's why I can honestly say I don't have anything against gay people. They are individuals as we all are. It is bigoted and ignorant to have a bias against an entire group of humans.
Not when an entire group of humans engages in reprehensible activity it isn't.

I condemn all thieves for theft. Apparently, so do you. At least, you don't seem to have a problem suggesting that other people should condemn thieves.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:31 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,322,524 times
I'm not going tit for tat with you. Pick on someone else's posts please.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
I really don't have anything against gays or lesbians.

I believe they should have all the legal rights of heterosexuals, and I believe that if they are partners in a civil union, that they should have all the legal rights of a married couple -- that it should be no different than a marriage between heterosexuals.

I'm not sure if I'm really in favor of gay/lesbian "marriages", simply because to me it changes the definition of a marriage. I wouldn't fight against legislation for it, but neither would I encourage it at this point. Call it something else and I'd be 100% in favor.

What do I not like about gays? PDAs carried too far. And yes, it bothers me more than PDAs between hetero couples. It's just kind of creepy. Maybe I'll get over it with time.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Blindly vote democrat because they have bought into some stupid false promises that this party will be their liberators...still waiting on that one.
There's nothing blind about it. One party fights equality every step of the way, fights to write hate into the constitution, and fights to undo the progress that has been made.

The other got DADT repealed, expanded benefits for gay federal employees to end some of the preferential treatment given to straight couples, signed marriage bills into law, etc. The precious few Republicans who have stepped up and helped push equality forward should be committed, but they are by far in the minority.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
There's nothing blind about it. One party fights equality every step of the way, fights to write hate into the constitution, and fights to undo the progress that has been made.

The other got DADT repealed, expanded benefits for gay federal employees to end some of the preferential treatment given to straight couples, signed marriage bills into law, etc. The precious few Republicans who have stepped up and helped push equality forward should be committed, but they are by far in the minority.
No, one party makes a lot of noise about supporting equality despite the fact that their history and the voting records of their elected officials are not supportive of said noise. Those that are easily influenced by smoke, mirrors, and glimpses of shiny things in the distance blindly lend that party their support.

It doesn't take much of a critical eye to see that both mainstream parties are far more concerned with coaxing more votes and money from the sheep that support them than they are with providing any meaningful improvements to the state of the nation or their supporters. If you honestly believe Democrats are any more concerned with the rights of gays than are Republicans you have consumed far too much Kool Aid.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,259 times
Quote:

So, one party "fights equality every step of the way" by...

- not revoking DADT (aka, Clinton's Compromise), a homosexual issue
- not expanding federal employee benefits for homosexuals
- not ending preferential treatment of heterosexuals vs homosexuals
- not signing homosexual marriage acts

IOW, because one party takes a consistent stance against one issue, you feel justified in saying that party "fights equality every step of the way." Are you aware that more than homosexuals have problems in this world? Do you not believe that people who oppose homosexuality should be represented in government?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
A few years ago, I met a guy who looked very stereotypically gay and talked with a very clear gay "accent". Yet he told me he had just been married to a blonde college girl (they were several years apart I think). He also met her through a Christian dating service. Being almost a stranger, I was too afraid to ask the big question. Does he sound like an ex-gay to you? Or could he be "openly closeted"? I happened to Google his name and found a web page about their wedding. I really want to post a link to his pictures but I would surely get sued for slander, libel, privacy violations, etc.

Say these words to yourself "Ty Pennington is not gay."!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Are you aware that more than homosexuals have problems in this world?
Of course. One would have to be pretty stupid not to be aware of that. But given that the thread is about homosexuality, I don't see much point in bringing up the GOP's "southern strategy" of appealing to angry old white racists, or Bush Sr's belief that perhaps atheists shouldn't even be considered citizens.
Quote:
Do you not believe that people who oppose homosexuality should be represented in government?
They can be represented if they can get the votes, just like neo-nazis and klan members and racists can be represented if they can get enough votes. Just don't expect laws written specifically to discriminate against one group of people to stand up in court.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,678 times
Quote:
Of course. One would have to be pretty stupid not to be aware of that.
They can be represented if they can get the votes, just like neo-nazis and klan members and racists can be represented if they can get enough votes. Just don't expect laws written specifically to discriminate against one group of people to stand up in court.
The Klan was originated by your beloved Democrats. Don't let reality stand in the way of your blind support.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
I still don't understand. Why do I have to care who you're boinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies