Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,629,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
algae is a possible viable source for alternative fuel. the problem is that algae farming for fuel would require huge tracts of land to even approach meeting 10% of our fuel needs. a better choice is to do what brazil is doing, and that is making sugar based ethanol for fuel.
NO!! NO! AND NO!!

Your first point is exactly why this is just stupid!!

And to your second point??? WHY ARE WE USING OUR FRIKKIN' FOOD SOURCES?????

First it's corn!! Now sugar????

Meanwhile oil is just screamin' "HEY GUYS! I'M OVER HERE!" I'M PERFECT FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED! BEEN RUNNING YOUR CARS AND KEEPING YOU WARM FOR DECADES!! AND THERE'S LOTS OF ME RIGHT UNDER YOUR FEET!"

GEEEEZ!

I swear! If Obama came on air and said that dead bodies should be used for fuel , Some of these people would say , "YEAH, THAT'S A SUPERB IDEA!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 04:25 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,629,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Algae biofuels (http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/energy_vehicle_algae.aspx - broken link)

Hey OP...have you been under a rock? I heard about this ages ago.
NO...THAT ALGAE IS UNDER THAT ROCK!!

It is stupid to dump the oil we already have looking to get enough algae to make a dent in the world's need!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,138,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
NO!! NO! AND NO!!

Your first point is exactly why this is just stupid!!
algae as a fuel source is not a bad idea, it does however require large tracts of land though. and we do have large tracts of land that are not being used for anything else.

Quote:
And to your second point??? WHY ARE WE USING OUR FRIKKIN' FOOD SOURCES?????

First it's corn!! Now sugar????
i have always advocated using sugar to make ethanol. it is quite plentiful, we manufacture a few million TONS of it every year. would you rather that sugar remain in the food supply? or put it to good use making a fuel that our cars can run on? we really dont need the amount of sugar we make every year.

Quote:
Meanwhile oil is just screamin' "HEY GUYS! I'M OVER HERE!" I'M PERFECT FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED! BEEN RUNNING YOUR CARS AND KEEPING YOU WARM FOR DECADES!! AND THERE'S LOTS OF ME RIGHT UNDER YOUR FEET!"
and at some point in the near future, the cheap oil is going to be gone. and while oil will still be around for another 100 years or so, it will get more expensive to get. we need to develop viable alternative forms of energy NOW so that when the day comes that oil get too expensive to get, we can transition over easily.

Quote:
GEEEEZ!

I swear! If Obama came on air and said that dead bodies should be used for fuel , Some of these people would say , "YEAH, THAT'S A SUPERB IDEA!"
yes there are those that would agree with obama on everything, i am not one of them though. i have however advocated that we develop alternative energies since the mid 70s when we should have started developing alternative energies. and not because of pollution, or bogus claims of man made climate change, but based on solid economic realities.

we need to make this country energy independent, otherwise we are going to continue to rely on countries that are not friendly to us for some of our energy needs.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,202,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Uh Oh, Obama sound slike he's trying to get us into another get rich quick scheme. First solar, then windmills, electric cars, then gun running and now algae.
What's next, smog bags? Oops, Al Gore already beat him to that one.
Clearly Obama has pulled a Romney, flip flopping from filling tires to algae.

flashback 2008 campaign:

Sen. Barack Obama's answer to meeting energy demands - YouTube

If the USA begins to use algae for car fuel what will Obama's scum sucking Progressive bottom feeding donor/bundlers live upon, DOE loans for algae development? Oh wait, that's already been done with solar.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM

27,636 posts, read 21,304,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Clearly Obama has pulled a Romney, flip flopping from filling tires to algae.

flashback 2008 campaign:

If the USA begins to use algae for car fuel what will Obama's scum sucking Progressive bottom feeding donor/bundlers live upon, DOE loans for algae development? Oh wait, that's already been done with solar.
If it were left to the type of mentality of those on the right side of the aisle, we still would not have invented the wheel. Forget "Progressive" ideas...these right wingers are not conservative, but downright regressive.

BTW...there's a small, nondescript, up and coming company that already gets billions in tax subsidies that explores alternative energies such as algae...you might have heard of them...EXXON!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,202,735 times
Red face Awwwwwwwww somebody didn't like my sarcasm

Quote:
If it were left to the type of mentality of those on the right side of the aisle, we still would not have invented the wheel. Forget "Progressive" ideas...these right wingers are not conservative, but downright regressive.

BTW...there's a small, nondescript, up and coming company that already gets billions in tax subsidies that explores alternative energies such as algae...you might have heard of them...EXXON!
Yes, I am quite aware that most of the major oil companies have been long researching alternative fuels and green energies.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 PM

21,601 posts, read 10,782,586 times
I don't know much about algae as biofuels, but it seems to me it would take huge amounts of space and water to grow. We need fuel to keep our current lifestyles, but we need water to keep our lives. I'd rather run out of fuel than potable water.

And another thing, I'm sure the president's comment about there being plenty of algae around Florida was tongue in cheek, but I really hope it's not an indication that we'd be harvesting algae from our rivers and lakes. Surely that would be counter-productive as algae is a major source of oxygen and helps remove C02 from the air.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,138,096 times
Quote:

actually us conservatives want PRIVATE industry to fund the research and development of alternative fuels, NOT government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't know much about algae as biofuels, but it seems to me it would take huge amounts of space and water to grow. We need fuel to keep our current lifestyles, but we need water to keep our lives. I'd rather run out of fuel than potable water.

And another thing, I'm sure the president's comment about there being plenty of algae around Florida was tongue in cheek, but I really hope it's not an indication that we'd be harvesting algae from our rivers and lakes. Surely that would be counter-productive as algae is a major source of oxygen and helps remove C02 from the air.
actually the way algae farming for energy use would be done with the algae in large glass tubes int he desert. the water used would keep the algae wet while carbon dioxide would be fed into the water for the algae to feed on. at some point the algae would die off creating crude oil, which would then be processed into biofuels.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,174,746 times
This is the first thing the great orator has said that makes any sort of sense about energy. It's not gonna happen overnight but it has promise unlike the wind machines that have bankrupted half of europe.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,096,737 times
Give me two tanks, a couple of electrodes, some water, and a power supply. I can manufacture hydrogen all day long. Unfortunately it takes more energy to make it than it yields. I can distill alcohol from pretty much anything organic with the same net energy loss. Some folks have confused science and science fiction it seems. But hey, I'll be happy to make seaweed moonshine if you're willing to throw grant money at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies