Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times

Advertisements

Well CNG has it hazards and of course has huge infrastructure cost over in place gas and diesel that is already in place. I know my company did it but it was costly to setup with safety zone etc. Who pays for the huge cost and the cost would have to be passed on to customers for years. Otherwsie no one would want to invest in CNG right now because of the cost.Then of course more LNG gas would have to be imported to handle a huge increase which more unloading docks that have real hazrds if a accident happens as ship delivers. Ever see what would happen a LNG eacapes and expands.that is why the CNG for now will be limited(supply causing increased price ) and the fact that its more practical for commerical limited distance fleets like we had.They filled up everyday at one station on our property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM

25,857 posts, read 16,563,286 times
The range of a CNG car is not much more than that of an elec car. CNG has about 60% of the energy content of gasoline so you would almost have to pull a trailer tank around to travel as far on CNG as you do on gasoline.

CNG is a completely clean fuel even though it puts out CO2 which is a greenhouse gas.

I for for one think that it's much more practicle to plan a future of rail transportation and hybrid vehicles. Families should go down to one car and it should be a fuel efficient car.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That's just not true at all. I live in southern Ontario and I can fuel up a natural gas vehicle all over the place. In the 80's people were ordering them as duel, gas and petrol powered right from GM. There were thousands of them around here.

The problem is the big oil compamies who own most of the natural gas also don't want us using natural gas as long as they can sell us gasoline. Natural gas right now is cheap, cheap, cheap. It costs me about $600 a year for all my heating and hot water and it's COLD here in Canada. All of the cabs and buses around here are natural gas powered. It's clean, cheap and just the best energy source we have right now.
thats nice for canada, but here in the US we dont have the needed infrastructure to handle CNG fueled cars right now. we should have been building it since the 70s, but no one wanted to invest the capital at that time.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,593,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thats nice for canada, but here in the US we dont have the needed infrastructure to handle CNG fueled cars right now. we should have been building it since the 70s, but no one wanted to invest the capital at that time.
I think that's just an excuse the big oil companies want you to believe. What infrastructure are you talking about? All big centers of population already have gas. I'll bet that those gas delivery systems are no where near their delivery capacity. I'll also bet anything that if the Gas companies were not mostly owned by big oil there would be gas filling stations all over the place. Because there is no competition in the marketplace, of course we are not using gas powered vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies