Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,071,416 times

Advertisements

Show me where he HAS enforced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,913,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I posted the great orators stance on doma.
Posted it, but didn't understand it.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,238,931 times
My understanding is that DOMA is unconstitutional since it prohibits a sect of people from experiencing the rights and freedoms of other Americans in this country.

If there's valid reason as to why homosexuals can't get married other than the baseline "iT'S rEALLY rEALLY, iCKY, gUYZ!!!!!", I'd like to hear it.

Otherwise don't be surprised to see this bill eventually one day go the way of the Dodo bird.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,141,104 times
Quote:
Sure.

Gay people legally married to military members do not get to live in family base housing or shop at the base commissary. Also, the military member of a legal gay marriage is not eligible for increased spousal housing allowance pay (things married heterosexual couples get). Why? Because DOMA is being enforced.

If I gay marry a foreigner here in NY and we go down to the immigration office to get him a spousal green card, he will be denied one (something a heterosexual couple gets). Why? Because DOMA is being enforced.

I can keep going if you want.

Last edited by hammertime33; 02-24-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,205,750 times
Quote:
He specifically doesn't, because he's the President.

But the system he runs enforces it.

See FMLA.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,963,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Sure.

Gay people legally married to military members do not get to live in family base housing or shop at the base commissary. Also, the military member of a legal gay marriage is not eligible for increased spousal housing allowance pay (things married heterosexual couples get). Why? Because DOMA is being enforced.

If I gay marry a foreigner here in NY and we go down to the immigration office to get him a spousal green card, he will be denied one (something a heterosexual couple gets). Why? Because DOMA is being enforced.

I can keep going if you want.
It seems that KUchief25 is confused regarding the difference between enforcing a law and defending that law in court. You're certainly right, DOMA is being enforced as the law of the land.

What the administration is doing is declining to defend against court challenges Section 3 of DOMA -- that section which defines marriage for the purposes of the federal government as between a man and a woman.

All fairly standard stuff. All administrations decline to defend certain laws they consider constitutionally dubious. And people who dislike those administrations feign outrage.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,612,358 times
Quote:
This is becoming an Abbott and Costello routine.
Don't worry, we are used to your posts by now.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM

The schedule and panel have been set for the First Circuit review of Massachusetts DOMA cases:
Mass_DOMA_Appeals_Calendar

The following cases have been combined for this appeal:
Gill v. Office of Personnel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Massachusetts v. United States Department of Health and Human Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

District Court Judge Joseph L. Tauro (appointed by President Nixon in 1972) ruled that Section 3 of DOMA violates the Fifth Amendment in the former case and the Tenth Amendment in the latter case.

The panel is set at Chief Judge Sandra L. Lynch (appointed by President Clinton in 1994), Judge Juan R. Torruella (appointed by President Reagan in 1994) and Judge Michael Boudin (appointed by President Bush in 1992).

The combined appeal will be heard in April 4, 2012.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM

39,180 posts, read 51,499,921 times
Court after court is going to find the same way. There is simply no compelling public purpose that can be shown for denying rights by banning same sex marriage. None.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Court after court is going to find the same way. There is simply no compelling public purpose that can be shown for denying rights by banning same sex marriage. None.
Indeed.

In February, District Court Judge Jeffrey White (a 2002 Bush appointee) ruled that Section 3 of DOMA passes neither the heightened scrutiny test nor the rational basis test.
BREAKING: DOMA's Federal Definition of Marriage Unconstitutional, Judge Rules in Golinski Case - Poliglot

One or both of these cases (this one, and the consolidated Massachusetts case) is likely to reach the United States Supreme Court sometime in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies