Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,269,704 times

Advertisements

I served 3 years in the US Army (1965-68).
Lately, I just discovered the Wounded Warrior Project on TV commercials.
The government sends soldiers to fight in stupid wars based on dubious rumors, all to line the pockets of the military-industrial complex.
There should be no need for such an organization, all needs of wounded soldiers and their families should be provided by the US Government that sent them into harm's way. Shame on you, America.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,425,221 times
I agree to a point.

But, each military member voluntarily joins and knows that they're going to be put in harm's way for corporate greed.
There has to be some responsibility at their level, too.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,474,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I agree to a point.

But, each military member voluntarily joins and knows that they're going to be put in harm's way for corporate greed.
Tell that to the kids drafted during Vietnam....

I enlisted and knew the risk. Some didn't have that choice.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 920,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I agree to a point.

With that logic(loose term) there should never be anything awarded for workplace injuries. Ever.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,859,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The government sends soldiers to fight in stupid wars based on dubious rumors, all to line the pockets of the military-industrial complex.
There should be no need for such an organization, all needs of wounded soldiers and their families should be provided by the US Government that sent them into harm's way. Shame on you, America.

Home - Wounded Warrior Project
Agreed Vis. Although I'm heartened to see the Army changing it's tune meeting the needs of troops more on the subject of suicide. Those numbers were excruciating, but a byproduct of ill conceived mission statements from the get go. The battlefield is a bad place to find yourself lost.

Vets for peace is doing what it can as it can as well, but they aren't congressionally validated like VFW fake patriotism lobbyist org. Maybe it's time for this fresh generation of vets to do a hostile takeover from armchair warriors and glory days drunks. If they did I'd join myself, but not a minute before then.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,248,610 times
Well things were different back in those days. I mean it's a lopsided thing to say, sure, but things really were different back then.

Besides joining the military, for the most part, is a business move. Looking back at it now, that's why I joined. I was 19 when I enlisted in the US Navy back in 2007 and I got out when I was 23, which was last year in 2011. I joined because I had little to nothing going for me and I needed money. A steady constant flow of money that I could fall back and I also needed to get all the benefits I could.

Now at the age of 24, I'm living in Tampa going to college for Game Production and am soon relocating to Los Angeles to transfer schools but stick with the same major.

Wounded Warriors is great and there's no need to shame America. It's a voluntary decision (for the most part, there are exceptions) for people to join and the benefits they get while in the service are insane.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,859,582 times
It wasn't a business move for me. You'll have to speak for yourself.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Tell that to the kids drafted during Vietnam....

I enlisted and knew the risk. Some didn't have that choice.
I'm not talking about Nam.
I'm talking about today, the Wounded Warriors program is a current program.

In Nam, if you were drafted, you didn't have choices.
Some people enlisted so that they wouldn't get stuck being a grunt if they got a low lottery number.

I enlisted at the end.

Today, they all know what the perils might be.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It wasn't a business move for me. You'll have to speak for yourself.
But you knew the risks and benefits of your decision.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM

8,397 posts, read 4,127,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post

Home - Wounded Warrior Project

I think you are missing the point. Wounded Warrior Project would exist even if the US Gov offered 2000% coverage for eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies