Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,225,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, usually it does, because many of the reasons behind it are based on ridiculous stereotypes, misinformation and religious fanaticism and hypocrisy. Specifically, if you feel that homosexuals should not be allowed to use the term "marriage", there is no logical conclusion to be made other than that you believe that homosexual unions, and therefore homosexuals themselves, are inferior to heterosexuals unions and heterosexuals themselves.
Not true at all. Doesn't matter how many times you say it....it simply doesn't make it true.

I am 100% against gay marriage. HOWEVER, I don't believe that homosexuals are immoral, corrupt, deviant, inferior, animals, etc. I greatly sympathize with gays who are subjected to discrimination and acts of violence. It still does not change the fact that I oppose gay marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,153,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
obviously, this is turning into a nation governed by the "elite", who decide what they want to do REGARDLESS of what the people actually choose.

shame on the court for not respecting the will of the people of that state.

i bet we get plenty more decisions like that in the future.
Yeah, shame on this court for upholding its Constitutional duty to make sure that everybody is treated equally under the law.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So you believe the Earth is about 6,000 years old and you take the Bible literally?

That does explain a lot.
What do you mean by taking the Bible literally? If you mean whether or not, I believe its contents, yes I do. Whether or not I agree with all or even find some of the laws/principles distasteful is another issue.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You repeat over and over that the "definition of marriage" should not be changed and that gays should go after civil unions and not "traditional marriage".

What other conclusion is to be drawn?

Adam and Eve are the first "marriage" according to Christianity. What about people who don't practice Christianity - we should all be bound by the dogma and beliefs of Christians, as well?
This is not just about Christianity (not sure why we get the bad rep when most religions hold the same views on homosexuality) . Do you have information that tells of first marriages in other religions that were same-sex?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,194,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Your entire post is about rights, when I've stated many times that I'm against the denial of rights for gays. You have a right to your own opinion; just as I do. And I find comparing the black struggle to the gay struggle to be extremely offensive. You are absolutely free to feel otherwise.

In threads that deal with gay marriage, it is inevitable that you will find posters who suggest that blacks "ought" to support gays because they too faced civil rights violations. It is this attitude of a perceived slight that I find off-putting. Blacks don't OWE gays their support.
You can't on one hand say you're for gay equality and then specifically state that gays should not be allowed marriage. You are trying desperately to appear supportive yet still have the ability to be discriminatory based on personal beliefs. You can't have it both ways, sorry. Either you are truly for equality or you're not and you most definitely are not.

And the only reason you find the comparsion offensive, if we were truly having an honest discussion, is simply because you don't feel that gays are your equal, so in your view, any comparison cheapens the fight for racial equality. It's actually pretty sad to think that a supposedly Christian man would view others as inferior.

Blacks don't have to support gay marriage. Blacks don't "owe" gays their support and I haven't seen this suggested. But, at the very least, if they were honest and reasonable people, they would recognize that there are clear parallels and they should not be simply cast aside because it is inconvenient to personal moral failings.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM

779 posts, read 539,257 times
Quote:
Not true at all. Doesn't matter how many times you say it....it simply doesn't make it true.

I am 100% against gay marriage. HOWEVER, I don't believe that homosexuals are immoral, corrupt, deviant, inferior, animals, etc. I greatly sympathize with gays who are subjected to discrimination and acts of violence. It still does not change the fact that I oppose gay marriage.
Were I a betting man, I'd bet that you cannot say why you're against gay marriage without being discriminatory.

Try it. I'd like to see you perform some more pseudo-intellectual mental gymnastics. Watching you do so has been very enlightening.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Well, I'm a Black gay and I see the parallels between the same-sex marriage and interracial marriage as well as many between the gay rights movement and the civil rights movement for Blacks. They are rather glaring to me. People are keenly aware of the incredibly vast factual differences between these movements but are looking at the common themes that permeate them. Some of the language from SCOTUS's ruling in Loving v. Virginia is right at the crux of the arguments for same-sex marriage. Further, the arguments used against same-sex marriage are similar to those of interracial marriage such as the appeal to "tradition" (which really amounts to nothing more than a long history of deeply-ingrained bigotry in both cases) and narrow interpretations of personal religious beliefs (weak "ungodly" and "unnatural" arguments were flung around in both debates).

In either case, you essentially have an entire class of individuals who were treated completely differently under the law for no other reason than personal biases of the majority. In my anecdotal experience, the push back from some within the Black community on at least acknowledging the thematic parallels is indicative of the rampant homophobia within the community and also the racial tensions the exist within the gay community. Both are topics that warrant their own threads respectively.
Can you tell me what parallels you see? Even I'm lost on the IR one because that dealt with race and not sexuality. So, not a fair comparison at all.

The homophobic assertion is thrown about so loosely, that it's losing it's significance. And that's quite sad. I abhor racists who are too much of a coward to just come right out and say they hate blacks. If I hated gays, I would have zero motivation for hiding it on an anonymous forum.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,194,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
obviously, this is turning into a nation governed by the "elite", who decide what they want to do REGARDLESS of what the people actually choose.

shame on the court for not respecting the will of the people of that state.

i bet we get plenty more decisions like that in the future.
Why is it that so many people have no idea on how our government works and how rights work? Did they not teach this in middle school?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You stated several times that you found the comparsion to be offensive. What other logical conclusion can be made other than that you find the comparion of gay marriage to interracial marriage to be disparaging the latter?
It's insulting because of the HISTORY behind the IR argument. It undermines the struggles and history of blacks in the US.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM

779 posts, read 539,257 times
Quote:
Your entire post is about rights, when I've stated many times that I'm against the denial of rights for gays. You have a right to your own opinion; just as I do. And I find comparing the black struggle to the gay struggle to be extremely offensive. You are absolutely free to feel otherwise.

In threads that deal with gay marriage, it is inevitable that you will find posters who suggest that blacks "ought" to support gays because they too faced civil rights violations. It is this attitude of a perceived slight that I find off-putting. Blacks don't OWE gays their support.
Obvious straw-man argument is obvious.

I haven't seen any say "ought to". I've seen analogies. Analogies that really appear to get under your saddle.

Way to invent a false position for your debate opponent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies