Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,350,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarda View Post
i'm one of them.
lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 PM

188 posts, read 408,949 times

I was born in America. My parents are from Trinidad, a island in the Caribbean. Like I said, me personally I have NO ties to Africa. Even if i did identified myself as African-American, where exactly in Africa would that be? I have no idea and neither do most black Americans. I know a girl who was born here, who's immediate family is from Ethiopia. Culturally her family is very much in tune with their ethiopian heritage. She is a African-American.

No she's not African American...she's Ethiopian American. As for you not having ties to Africa... well it depends... Are you of Indian descent? There are many Trinidadians who are of Indian Descent. Perhaps you're of European descent? However, if not, I must inform you that Africans were brought to the Caribbean Island of Trinidad and enslaved. Culturally, you may be as Trinidadian as you like... but an African is an African, is an African regardless of what continent or Island they were dropped off at.

Last edited by dreamgirl84; 02-05-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 PM

22,736 posts, read 24,879,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
African is not a race. You do know Africa is made up of many different ethnicities, tribes, races, religions in Africa. There are white people who have lived in Africa for centuries. There are Arabs who live Africa. Countries like Uganda have a large Indian population. African does not= black.

I understand what you are saying. But I think that as a continent, Africa did have an indigenous people, blacks that could be racially classified as African. Sure there are variations, that is true in many areas of the world.

And I am pretty sure that whites are not indigenous to Africa.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM

994 posts, read 729,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

Pretty cheap explanation. Why do I et the feeling that the discussion could have been about strawberry shortcake and some how you have been able to twist this into a discussion about your own issues with Affirmative Action
I dunno. Given that I've never mentioned affirmative action anywhere in any other post than that one, it certainly isn't because you're right.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,420,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm one of them. I know the specific country and ethnic group of my origins. So to use a name that encompasses an entire continent of diverse peoples seems absurd. Personally I prefer American, Black American or Ghanaian American.
Interesting premise.
I also notice that some racists prefer not to be called racists.

Funny how that happens.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,577,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm one of them. I know the specific country and ethnic group of my origins. So to use a name that encompasses an entire continent of diverse peoples seems absurd. Personally I prefer American, Black American or Ghanaian American.
Some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American' *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/some-blacks-insist-im-1331589.html - broken link)
Labels, stereotypes, categories, based on race are stupid.

The only thing that matters is the human being.

Blacks in the USA have been analyzed, stripped of ethnic ancestry because of slavery and repackaged and condensed into the American demonym of "black" or "african american" racially to describe all people who have ancestry from the days of the "middle passage".

It's time everyone stopped ascribing racial terms to humans. It's outmoded and FLAWED ancient history to do so.

2012! Let's work toward changing our world so we see people as humans first without regard to any racial terms for categorization. It's the biggest social hurdle that Americans need to cross.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 AM

9,026 posts, read 13,956,523 times
The problem with using black american is that its a color.

For people who don't know,there are black people in Australia and Micronesia.
So,if an australian aborigine or Papau New guinean came to America,they could technically call themselves a black American too?

Same with a 2nd generation Jamaican American. Do they call themselves black americans,or can they call themselves African Americans?
What would the Op children and grandchildren call themselves? They can't say Ghanian American,because they would be born in America.

Sorry,I just don't understand.
One thing that DOES need to be abolished is Jewish American. Jewish is a religion,not a race.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 AM

9,026 posts, read 13,956,523 times
Why do people always without fail forget that there are whites who are indigenous to Africa,like the Berbers in North Africa?

Why do people without fail always associate ALL blacks as having ancestors from Africa?
You guys do know about blacks indigenous in Australia?

I do realize all blacks in America are descendants of African slaves,id say 100%.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 AM

98 posts, read 82,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post

I must inform you that Africans were brought to the Caribbean Island of Trinidad and enslaved.
What hyphenated word best describes the folks that sold them?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,838,314 times
I prefer African American because I am an American with African origins. For many reasons I have stated on these forums, I believe it is the most appropriate designation for a distinctive ethnic group. If you don't agree with me, that's your right. I'm tired of debating it.

- An African American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies