Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

6-year-old accused of assault.

Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Fox has a uniquely peculiar view of what makes "news."

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yeah, whatever.

Back to the real subject matter of the post; I'm so glad I went to school when we could actually go out and play such dangerous games as dodge ball, Red Rover, Red Rover, smear the que..........

Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

I was thinking the same thing. They find "stories" everyone else seems to miss, then spin those stories to score points with the right. Next, they're picked up by every two-bit, right-wing blog site, re-posted in discussion forums and finally trumpeted by WND until the truth can no longer be found.

They seem to be the key cog in the wheels of right wing outrage.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Ok, I'm gonna watch that and get to the bottom of the story, but I have to say this right now: A unwashed, unshaven COMEDIAN nobody has ever heard of lecturing the rest of us on the "wussification" of America?

I mean, gee whiz! Is THAT the state of political discourse on FOX? You can't be serious!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM

Ok, all I've found is a lopsided story from a couple of months ago, involving a kid in the Hercules, CA school system.

Most of what I've found is the dad's side of the story with few details other than he claims his kid was taken to the principal's office, interrogated and forced to sign a confession. Then the kid had sexual assault notes put in his file, which is not legal in California. The school system hasn't commented any more than to say an investigation is underway and the school website is "unavailable."

As usual with FOX, there is a germ of truth in there, but not enough information to actually find out what happened. Searching for the truth, though, is already difficult because the right-wing blogsites and discussion forums are in a lather over FOX's report, even though none of them know any more about what happened than anyone else. In other words, they're reacting exactly as intended.

It would be easy to make a case about the evil liberals in the school systems, which is exactly where the conversation in the blogosphere has already gone, and which FOX's comedian "commentator" emphasized, but it's as likely a case of a single principal overstepping his or her authority as it is a liberal conspiracy to "wussify" American kids. It happens every day, you know.

General opinion? I think I'll wait for more information, which doesn't seem to be coming from FOX. Don't you think it's interesting how they threw that idea out there in the link provided, with literally NO information about what they're talking about other than a map with an arrow pointing to Hercules, CA?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 AM

15,099 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I was thinking the same thing. They find "stories" everyone else seems to miss, then spin those stories to score points with the right. Next, they're picked up by every two-bit, right-wing blog site, re-posted in discussion forums and finally trumpeted by WND until the truth can no longer be found.

They seem to be the key cog in the wheels of right wing outrage.
I don't see how reporting such examples of severe mental illness could be considered anything less than news worthy.

Perhaps such things are of little interest to the mentally ill ... but to sane folks, such craziness is note worthy.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 AM

15,099 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, all I've found is a lopsided story from a couple of months ago, involving a kid in the Hercules, CA school system.

Most of what I've found is the dad's side of the story with few details other than he claims his kid was taken to the principal's office, interrogated and forced to sign a confession. Then the kid had sexual assault notes put in his file, which is not legal in California. The school system hasn't commented any more than to say an investigation is underway and the school website is "unavailable."

As usual with FOX, there is a germ of truth in there, but not enough information to actually find out what happened. Searching for the truth, though, is already difficult because the right-wing blogsites and discussion forums are in a lather over FOX's report, even though none of them know any more about what happened than anyone else. In other words, they're reacting exactly as intended.

It would be easy to make a case about the evil liberals in the school systems, which is exactly where the conversation in the blogosphere has already gone, and which FOX's comedian "commentator" emphasized, but it's as likely a case of a single principal overstepping his or her authority as it is a liberal conspiracy to "wussify" American kids. It happens every day, you know.

General opinion? I think I'll wait for more information, which doesn't seem to be coming from FOX. Don't you think it's interesting how they threw that idea out there in the link provided, with literally NO information about what they're talking about other than a map with an arrow pointing to Hercules, CA?
That might be a valid position to take, IF you are totally unaware of the multitude of similarly absurd overreactions and demonstrations of shear lunatic behavior by public school officials and teachers being regularly reported, from kids being arrested for falling asleep in class, to kids being arrested for doodles on paper. These things are occurring in what appears to be epidemic proportions across the country, with such extremes as grade school children being tazed by police for behavior that used to earn a trip to the principle's office, and a couple hours of detention, or a parent-teacher's conference.

There are hundreds of these type cases in recent memory, and it defines a situation that appears to show a growing hostility toward our children in the public school systems ... certainly news worthy, and definitely cause for concern.

Is this really a "bashing the left" issue? Or is this a "if the shoe freaking fits" issue? And, are you offering us a tacit confession that the public schools are indeed being dominated today by liberals and liberal politics by making such an allegation, and that such absurd behavior is automatically to be assigned to typical liberal behavior? I think that is exactly what you have just done ... and amazingly ... we have found something that I agree with you on.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 02-02-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm so glad I went to school when we could actually go out and play such dangerous games as dodge ball...
Now that you mention it, are kids in school still allowed to play dodge ball? Or is someone afraid that it's too "violent" and doesn't allow everyone to win?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That might be a valid position to take, IF you are totally unaware of the multitude of similarly absurd overreactions and demonstrations of shear lunatic behavior by public school officials and teachers being regularly reported, from kids being arrested for falling asleep in class, to kids being arrested for doodles on paper. These things are occurring in what appears to be epidemic proportions across the country, with such extremes as grade school children being tazed by police for behavior that used to earn a trip to the principle's office, and a couple hours of detention, or a parent-teacher's conference.

There are hundreds of these type cases in recent memory, and it defines a situation that appears to show a growing hostility toward our children in the public school systems ... certainly news worthy, and definitely cause for concern.

Is this really a "bashing the left" issue? Or is this a "if the shoe freaking fits" issue? And, are you offering us a tacit confession that the public schools are indeed being dominated today by liberals and liberal politics by making such an allegation, and that such absurd behavior is automatically to be assigned to typical liberal behavior? I think that is exactly what you have just done ... and amazingly ... we have found something that I agree with you on.

What's happening in the schools has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives. It has to do with federal and state regulations which mandate zero tolerance for just about anything and such things as No Child Left Behind. Both parties, and both ideologies, were involved in the creation of those things.

You can find anecdotal stories all day long, just as I could post opposite anecdotes until the cows come home, but so long as you allow yourself to be distracted by editorializing disguised as news, which FOX does consistently, you'll never see the real problem. Those educators, liberal or otherwise, which you seem to be so ready to bash literally have their hands tied by the law. They HAVE to do things like this or the consequences can be quite draconian. If they sometimes overstep their authority out of a desire to keep themselves and their schools out of trouble, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Not everything can be defined in liberal/conservative terms, no matter what the talking heads say, and this is one of them. The problem goes far deeper than mere ideology, but who will know that when they allow themselves to be manipulated without checking the facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies