Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]“If capitalism had been left to its own devices, none of these guys would still have a job,” Walker says. “The only way to make them responsible is to make them fail.”[LEFT]
How to Save Capitalism | Business | TIME.com

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,625,654 times
In my book, you can't have free market capitalism as long as you have a central bank and a fractional reserve system.

You also can't have free market capitalism if you have bailouts; that's true as well.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times
Whenever you have corporations large enough to manipulate the political system, you will have bailouts and sweetheart tax code provisions and so on. It's unavoidable when you have a system structured like ours is structured.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,764,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
In my book, you can't have free market capitalism as long as you have a central bank and a fractional reserve system.

You also can't have free market capitalism if you have bailouts; that's true as well.
The bailouts were considered necessary because of the size of those companies. Which is why I am in favor of limiting the maximum size of companies in the first place. As soon as a company reaches a certain amount of employees and/or turnover, it should have to split into two or more independent companies. Big units are always a problem, be it in economics, politics, etc. Like for anything else in human society there need to be rules, good rules, to bring about good behavior.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The bailouts were considered necessary because of the size of those companies. Which is why I am in favor of limiting the maximum size of companies in the first place. As soon as a company reaches a certain amount of employees and/or turnover, it should have to split into two or more independent companies. Big units are always a problem, be it in economics, politics, etc. Like for anything else in human society there need to be rules, good rules, to bring about good behavior.
They just need to be allowed to fail, no government required.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,998,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Exactly! Were I a small business owner, and I make bad decisions or a sub quality product, it's on ME if I fail! Yet if you're a large corporation in this country, no worries! Make all of the p*** poor decisions that you want! The taxpayers will cover it!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,791,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
“If capitalism had been left to its own devices, none of these guys would still have a job,” Walker says. “The only way to make them responsible is to make them fail.”

Capitalism and the government are getting blamed for the shadow governments hostile takeover of legitimate governance perpetrated by corporations and lobbyists. THEY are the cannibals. THEY abuse their right to exist in USA & abroad. Global meltdown financial warfare inflicted on the masses is not coincidental.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,625,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The bailouts were considered necessary because of the size of those companies.
that may have been what the banks said, whenever they waited until the last minute and then asked for a trillion dollars ; but that isn't reality as far as i am concerned.

the bailouts were only necessary to maintain the status quo.

Quote:
Which is why I am in favor of limiting the maximum size of companies in the first place. As soon as a company reaches a certain amount of employees and/or turnover, it should have to split into two or more independent companies. Big units are always a problem, be it in economics, politics, etc. Like for anything else in human society there need to be rules, good rules, to bring about good behavior.
Yeah, I disagree with everything in your post. The size of a company is irrelevant. What's relevant is its systemic risk and its marketshare.

Quote:

The government of course needs to play some role in bankruptcy arbitration, but I generally agree with you. It makes me sick that any firm out there receives special treatment, and as far as I'm concerned we're not a capitalist society as long as Citi, Goldman, and Bank of America still exist.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,764,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Exactly! Were I a small business owner, and I make bad decisions or a sub quality product, it's on ME if I fail! Yet if you're a large corporation in this country, no worries! Make all of the p*** poor decisions that you want! The taxpayers will cover it!
That's the point. If your small business goes south, it doesn't mean hardship for society and entire cities...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,791,637 times
Quote:
Easy peasy. Whose idea was it that private industry ought to enjoy the option of holding global currencies hostage?

Ohh that's right! LIBERTARIANS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies