Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM

31,312 posts, read 20,901,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It appears that you choose to wear blinders in view of evidence that proves otherwise.

The Horatio Alger stories are not the general rule. Sure, a kid in the ghetto may end up in the NBA and leave the ghetto but the fact is that the best indicator of what your paycheck will be is the paycheck of your father. That's not income mobility.

I'm not talking about a ghetto kid getting to the NBA. I'm talking about the millions of Americans like me and many of my friends who inherited nothing but have worked hard to achieve a very comfortable life for ourselves.

It happens over and over and over again in the USA and it's available to every healthy kid with average intelligence.

Income mobility is the opportunity to improve ones' economic status. Obviously, educated parents generally do a better job of helping their kids choose to take advantage of opportunities. That will never change. Parenting does matter.

It doesn't bother me at all to see that good parenting produces better economic results. Government programs will never replace good parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
1) Anecdotal examples do not an understanding of society as a whole make.

2) Due to technology, everyone is living better but that wasn't the question related to mobility. The question is how many people in their class rung break out of their class rung? The data suggests that the vast majority do not.

What data is that?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM

20,739 posts, read 19,526,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What data is that?

One metric I use to measure decline is the frequency of the use of anecdotal evidence. When it becomes more frequent, its a sign of social slippage and lack of education.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,057,694 times
Great graph on Krugman's blog that shows how when income inequality rises, social mobility decreases.

The USA is the worst of the worst.

Roadking wants to bury his head in the sand and pretend this isn't happening.

He sneers at these countries where it is easier to get ahead in life if you work hard. Ignorance or dishonesty?

The Great Gatsby Curve - NYTimes.com

from the comment section

the economic lot of the other 99 % of us in society is deteriorating, replaced by accelerated stratification. It's a culture where the rich stay rich -- and everyone else does a little worse, each day.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 14,055,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

He sneers at these countries where it is easier to get ahead in life if you work hard. Ignorance or dishonesty? ]
More like cognitive dissonance. He disregards data because it interferes with his preconceived conclusions.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,949,449 times
This thread is a great example of what happens when you choose to cling to ignorant beliefs no matter how much contradictory evidence stares you in the face.

The fact of the matter is, the American dream has always been largely a myth, and now the realities are so stark that desperate people want to pretend that there aren't millions of people who work hard (everything isn't attributable to laziness, as so many of you all want it to be) and still struggle to stay afloat, much less move up. Social mobility in America is not flourishing, and anyone who tries to convince themselves otherwise is deluding themselves.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
More like cognitive dissonance. He disregards data because it interferes with his preconceived conclusions.

You haven't yet shown us any data that supports your claim that there are social mobility barriers in the USA.

Maybe because it's not true. Maybe it's because millions of Americans climb the social ladder without more government programs.... and that is bad news for Big Government advocates.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Great graph on Krugman's blog that shows how when income inequality rises, social mobility decreases.

The USA is the worst of the worst.

Roadking wants to bury his head in the sand and pretend this isn't happening.

He sneers at these countries where it is easier to get ahead in life if you work hard. Ignorance or dishonesty?
Correlation and causation are two entirely different things, and we all know Krugman's agenda. EVERY problem needs a government solution in his mind, and he loves big government. In fact, government cannot get big enough to make him happy.

And I haven't sneered at any country. You just don't understand that other countries have different demographics than the USA. Even with exactly the same government programs you would get different results.

So whose head is buried in the sand? Is it possible that you just want more government programs to address your agenda? I think so.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This thread is a great example of what happens when you choose to cling to ignorant beliefs no matter how much contradictory evidence stares you in the face.
What evidence would that be?

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, the American dream has always been largely a myth, and now the realities are so stark that desperate people want to pretend that there aren't millions of people who work hard (everything isn't attributable to laziness, as so many of you all want it to be) and still struggle to stay afloat, much less move up. Social mobility in America is not flourishing, and anyone who tries to convince themselves otherwise is deluding themselves.

How can it be a myth when millions and millions of Americans achieve it? How can I be deluding myself when I have achieved it? Along with my kids and my friends?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,055,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You haven't yet shown us any data that supports your claim that there are social mobility barriers in the USA.

Maybe because it's not true. Maybe it's because millions of Americans climb the social ladder without more government programs.... and that is bad news for Big Government advocates.
Oh please, the more you write the more you dig yourself into a hole. These are posts in this very thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/22596903-post28.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/22583507-post16.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies