Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:51 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,289,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Couldn't that hypothetically be an outcome of teaching American history of slavery and the history of post-emancipation discrimination? So should history not be taught lest black people hate whites and whites feel guilty?

Reminds me of a Fawlty Towers episode, only "just don't mention the war (WWII to visiting Germans) is replaced with "don't mention slavery and oppression".

I think using math problems to illustrate this history is odd, though.
I am white, and do not feel guilty about my ancestors past. it is in the past, just dont forget it in order to not repeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,523,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
How about perpetuation of animosity between the races? This was presented totally out of context.
So we shouldn't mention Slavery or Jim Crow in Social Studies? Because the same thing could happen there, by your logic.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,479,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
What would you be firing them for?
For stupidity and inappropriateness. How anyone could think that would be a good math exercise is beyond me and simply does not belong in the field of education.

They have demonstrated that they are not qualified to teach. However, this is Atlanta - the city where educators have a penchant for inappropriate behavior.
Atlanta Cheating: 178 Teachers and Administrators Changed Answers to Increase Test Scores - ABC News

Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM

5,389 posts, read 7,273,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am white, and do not feel guilty about my ancestors past. it is in the past, just dont forget it in order to not repeat it.
Well good, that's also the case with me, and I also don't worry that children learning our history will make me a target for retribution.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,653,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Couldn't that hypothetically be an outcome of teaching American history of slavery and the history of post-emancipation discrimination? So should history not be taught lest black people hate whites and whites feel guilty?

Reminds me of a Fawlty Towers episode, only "just don't mention the war (WWII to visiting Germans) is replaced with "don't mention slavery and oppression".

I think using math problems to illustrate this history is odd, though.

That's the point. There was no context.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,950,573 times
these white parents are whitewashing history. they dont want there kids to know what happened, thats why they get so angry about black history month.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,653,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
So we shouldn't mention Slavery or Jim Crow in Social Studies? Because the same thing could happen there, by your logic.
Context?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,585,251 times
Appears that the school was trying too hard to be clever.

[what they did is not malicious - just stupid]

Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,452,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
these white parents are whitewashing history. they dont want there kids to know what happened, thats why they get so angry about black history month.
Is there a reason why teachers of math should throw in a question like that? Surely there are all kinds of examples that would have worked and have worked for all these years and all of a sudden they have to throw in questions like that. Of course, that question could lead a number of kids to go home and ask mommy and daddy what slavery is all about. Let them learn about that a bit later in life. Kids of that age really aren't racist so why try to push them into it?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,585,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there a reason why teachers of math should throw in a question like that? Surely there are all kinds of examples that would have worked and have worked for all these years and all of a sudden they have to throw in questions like that. Of course, that question could lead a number of kids to go home and ask mommy and daddy what slavery is all about. Let them learn about that a bit later in life. Kids of that age really aren't racist so why try to push them into it?
Because of this:

Quote:
School district spokeswoman Sloan Roach told the station teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity, combining math problems with social studies lessons. While the district encourages such pairings, the problem with the math homework was that it gave no historical context to its questions.
Not necessarily a bad idea but the idea was poorly executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies