Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,971 times

Advertisements

I agree with you. I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not a damn thing. But wasn't it you that said that black women and jewish guys don't get together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM

28 posts, read 42,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Good point, but what does this have to do with Mississippi?
You should be asking YOURSELF that question since you brought the subject up.

Unless there is some movement in the Jewish community to OUTLAW interracial marriages in the United States it is not at all relevant to my post.

Like I said, people have the right to choose what relationships they want to engage in or not. However, it is a completely different story when people want certain relationships and marriages to be ILLEGAL (and punishable by law) for ANYONE to participate in.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM

242 posts, read 235,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Libertarian View Post
I was reading an article today about how 46% of Republican voters in Mississippi believe that interracial marriages should still be illegal in the United States.

Here's a link to the story: 46 Percent of Mississippi Republicans Want Interracial Marriage Banned

I'm assuming that these voters are mostly opposed to interracial marriages between whites and non-whites. I know that most people in Mississippi are either white or black and that a lot of these voters are probably thinking of white-black relationships when they hear of interracial marriages.

My question is this: How do these people feel about interracial marriages in which neither spouse is white? For instance, would it be controversial for a black man to marry a Asian woman in conservative Mississippian circles? How about a black woman marrying a Mexican man? In other words, would these same voters support a law that prohibits non-whites from marrying other non-white people who are not in their same racial group?

I am asking this question out of pure curiosity.

and then republicans wonder why they are considered racist?

18,782 posts, read 17,379,242 times
Quote:
Depending on the issue, i care about what he has to say because i'm a fan of his work. Doesn't mean that i always agree with him, but he is my brother, and i'm interested in his well being and i feel i have a stake in his success...
How do you square such fond feelings for a guy who is an out-and-out bigot with your disdain for imagined bigots with whom you disagree politically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Leave Mississippi alone.
Did you bother to my read my original post in its entirety?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How do you square such fond feelings for a guy who is an out-and-out bigot with your disdain for imagined bigots with whom you disagree politically?
Spike is honest, but i'm not so sure that he's a bigot. He is outspoken, and black folks that aren't mealy-mouthed have a tendency to be pegged as bigots. He's mellowed a bit with age....and so far as i know, has nothing personal against white people as a whole. I know he was a bit sore about having a white stepmother (he was close to his mom, and his dad did blindside him a little bit), but hell, i'm not so sure most people would react well to something like that at first.

As for the disdain i have for bigots...real or imagined, that's a separate issue. If i accuse you of saying something bigoted, doesn't mean that i think you're a bigot personally. You're just SAYING something that i find objectionable. Plenty of non-bigots do that. Doesn't mean they're racists....just temporarily ignorant. Sometimes they might be right. I'm the last person to say that black folks are angels. But i will point it out if they overstate it and make broad or general statements that are antithetical to my own experience.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM

646 posts, read 802,289 times
Quote:
Ok...

But white folks DON'T vote for the party that panders to them? Show proof. They don't vote against their own values? Show proof.

Republicans have never delivered on a DAMN THING they've promised. Nothing. And yet, their constituency stubbornly clings to them despite the fact that they never will deliver the goods.

Moreover, not all blacks are against Gay Marriage. Not all of us are pro-school prayer and taking "God" out of schools (as if that were even possible...it isn't!).

And it's not true that interracial marriage is just as frowned upon in the black community as it is in the white community in Mississippi. Like, it's not even close. While some blacks might frown on it to a certain degree, i've yet to EVER hear a black family threaten to disown a family member for marrying out of their race, let alone follow through on something like that.

Not saying that such actions are common among whites, but it's certainly not unheard of. Not by a long shot.
Show me a party that panders to white folk.It dont happen.America,period,panders to the Latino,black,arab,,and every other minority vote.Matter of fact New Mexico,California,and Texas are minority majority states with Mississippi and Georgia on the brink so whites are the minority in those states and still no pandering.And where I live blacks make up a big portion of the populace and the ones I have dealt with believe in God and are against gay marriage and even abortion on principle by 95% of them.I have gotten my numbers just like the arthur of this article did and that is by talking to about 100 people.So if my numbers are inaccurate then I'm sure this article is

Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Black folk vote for the party that panders to them which is the democratic party.Even voting against values they for the most part are against such as gay marriage,taking God and prayer out of all aspects of school and life.And interracial marriage is frowned upon just as much,I would say by blacks just as much as any Mississippi resident
Yes there are black people that are personally opposed to interracial marriages. However, I do not know many people (black or white) who believe that the practice should be ILLEGAL. So please stay on topic here. And blacks voting for Dems or whites voting for Reps have nothing to with my original post.

People these days join political parties mostly based on socio-economic issues rather than racial ones. As a result, most blue-collar workers and poorer Americans (black or white) are likely to become Democrats because the Democratic party is seen as the party of blue collar/unionized workers. The Republican party is generally seen as the pro-business, white collar party so they tend to attract more middle class voters.

Only racist (and stupid) people keep throwing race into the equation. There are racists in both parties.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:00 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,971 times
Ok. Mississippi should make marriage legal between blacks and whites. I don't care. I'm not from Mississippi. Why do you care?

Quote:
You should be asking YOURSELF that question since you brought the subject up.

Unless there is some movement in the Jewish community to OUTLAW interracial marriages in the United States it is not at all relevant to my post.

Like I said, people have the right to choose what relationships they want to engage in or not. However, it is a completely different story when people want certain relationships and marriages to be ILLEGAL (and punishable by law) for ANYONE to participate in.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Quote:
Did you bother to my read my original post in its entirety?
I wasn't talking about you, specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies