Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM

17,073 posts, read 12,726,074 times

Advertisements

Many cities in the top 5 classes (middle middle thru upper upper) specificially design their zoning to exclude even working class, let alone subsidized section 8 ghettos. How far should they be allowed to go? Again it needs to come down to balance; something neither side is willing to strive for.
Joe the working class guy is not Joe the ghetto thug
Joe the working class guy is not Joe the lifetime welfare leech.
I have empathy for the working class guy and almost none for the thug or leech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,233,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post
That might be true for some poor folks out there but a lot of them aren't that way. Their spending habit tends be to different. A lot of them have cable, flat screen tele, xbox/ps3 and "smart"phones ok
I've seen Xbox go on sale for ebay for $50. Owning something that costs $50 means you are living the high life? If this is your only form of entertainment, I doubt you are living a luxrious life.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,089,659 times
If it's a liberal rich town then yes of course, doing anything else would be hypocrisy.

In fact why aren't the liberals taking these poor welfare types and homeless into their own homes and paying for their living costs?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM

511 posts, read 2,462,154 times
I am not talking about middle class working people but welfare food stamp poor people. Is a town of million dollar homes on five acre lots the place for them?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,090,463 times
I worked my butt off for years so I wouldn't have to live next door to a crack house. There are no crack houses nearby and I kind of like it that way. Yes poor does equal crime. The fact that most poor people are not criminals in no way suggests that crime doesn't follow the poor. Poor communities pay little in taxes and therefore don't buy the same police protection as more affluent communities. In rich communities, you can't go a block without heavy scrutiny from police as well a private security. Criminals tend to prefer less scrutiny so they head to poor neighborhoods or the boonies to conduct their craft.

I mean is it that hard to grasp the obvious? Sometimes the naivety of the general population is astounding.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,790,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've seen Xbox go on sale for ebay for $50. Owning something that costs $50 means you are living the high life? If this is your only form of entertainment, I doubt you are living a luxrious life.

Running and playing outside is FREE and better for you.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,533,811 times
Ending Section 8 has been my little cause celebe. I'm glad more people are picking up on it. I think the Presidential candidates need to let the people know where they stand on this issue.

It really is not a race issue, not even a class issue per se but a cultural issue. Many poor people in particular poor Blacks have anti-social behaviors that are not conducive to healthy living. Even other Black people are appalled.

Housing crisis in metro Detroit creating black class tensions in Southfield | MLive.com

Quote:
People like John Clanton, a retired auto worker, say the new arrivals have brought behavior more common in the inner city — increased trash, adults and children on the streets at all times of the night, a disregard for others' property.

"During the summer months, I sat in the garage and at 3 o'clock in the morning you see them walking up and the down the streets on their cell phones talking," Clanton says. "They pull up (in cars) in the middle of the street, and they'll hold a conversation. You can't get in your driveway. You blow the horn and they look back at you and keep on talking. That's all Detroit."
The tensions have not gone unnoticed by local officials.
"I've got people of color who don't want people of color to move into the city," says Southfield Police Chief Joseph Thomas, who is himself black. "It's not a black-white thing. This is a black-black thing. My six-figure blacks are very concerned about multiple-family, economically depressed people moving into rental homes and apartments, bringing in their bad behaviors."

Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,944,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
So by law when they build new homes a certain percent of them have to be for poor people.
Who is this "they" you speak of? I moved into a suburban neighborhood by buying an empty lot, hiring a general contractor and having a house built. Had this law been in effect here would I have had to build a guest house in my back yard for a poor family? Or does this only apply to spec houses?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM

511 posts, read 2,462,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Who is this "they" you speak of? I moved into a suburban neighborhood by buying an empty lot, hiring a general contractor and having a house built. Had this law been in effect here would I have had to build a guest house in my back yard for a poor family? Or does this only apply to spec houses?
"They" are the government and I am talking about for development of many homes, a certain percent have to be for poor people.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,944,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Absent zoning laws, there would be far less of a divide between rich neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods. Wealthy communities often make regulations like "houses built in this area must be over a certain size" which amounts to "you must be rich to live here".
You can also have neighborhood covenants that have this. I had to have my plans approved by the developer before building. Minimum square footage is 2,400 but on this end of the 'hood there is nothing under 3,200.

It's all about property value. Yes, you have the right to do anything you want on your property until it impacts MY property. A rusty El Camino on blocks in the front yard and a couch on your porch directly impacts the selling price on my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies