Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times

Advertisements

This was a short three hour flight. How do we know if the owner didn't take it to a vet before the flight? Would a vet risk his license by putting in false information into a health certificate? How do we know that the owner wasn't taking it home to be taken care by their personal vet. Since the dog was shipped back to its owner within a few days, then the injuries couldnt have been that bad. For all we know the dog got caught in a Briar patch. Too much one sided information. A hunting dogs condition cannot be compared to one kept as a pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,078,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Dogs have morals?? Tell that to the birds that show up dead in my back yard. LOL. Only loyalty a dog shows is when its dinner time. You feed em and clean up their poop they're happy. If somebody else fed em they'd move there in a heartbeat.

Dogs behave based on instinct

Only humans plot and scheme to how they can lie, cheat, steal from or use others

So I would give dogs a huge edge over people

Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Dogs exhibit more morals, loyalty than some people do.

And far more morals than that hateful poster you quoted

Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,334,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
This was a short three hour flight. How do we know if the owner didn't take it to a vet before the flight? Would a vet risk his license by putting in false information into a health certificate? How do we know that the owner wasn't taking it home to be taken care by their personal vet. Since the dog was shipped back to its owner within a few days, then the injuries couldnt have been that bad. For all we know the dog got caught in a Briar patch. Too much one sided information. A hunting dogs condition cannot be compared to one kept as a pet.
Umm, that's not what I read from the article.

Quote:
Airport police phoned the animal welfare agency, which took custody of the dog.

The dog, apparently owned by a hunter who has it shipped to places he hunts, was shipped back to Texas after being nursed back to health <snip>

Now, a month after the incident at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, the dog has recovered.

We aren't talking about an inanimate object or piece of luggage. We're talking about a living creature. I know that some of you place very little value on life that isn't human, but this employee did the right thing in the best interest of the dog. The animal welfare agency would not have taken the dog into custody, nor had to nurse it back to health for an entire month if it were in such great health. They would have had no justifiable grounds to take custody of the dog if it weren't in need of immediate care.

To use the excuse that this was a hunting dog and not a pet is NOT an excuse. That does not give the owner license to abuse the animal, starve it, or deprive it of necessary medical treatment. There are minimal standards of care that apply to any owned dog, be it a hunting dog or pet.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,334,340 times
Just wanted to add (and I am speculating here) that if the owner of the dog felt that his dog was wrongfully taken custody of by animal welfare officials, he would likely be suing the airlines. I think that part of the reason that he didn't sue is that he knows he could have very easily been arrested on animal cruelty charges. Maybe both parties agreed that no charges would be filed by either party.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,480,008 times
An update...

Baggage Handler Fired Over Dog Is Offered Job Back | Fox News

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,030,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Dogs behave based on instinct

Only humans plot and scheme to how they can lie, cheat, steal from or use others

So I would give dogs a huge edge over people
I guess you should tell my lab that. She always finds a way to steal the dog bone from my other one when I give em both one or horn in on her food if I don't keep an eye on em when I feed em. As for lying I guess unless you speak dog you'll never know now will you?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM

834 posts, read 2,280,484 times
I know that hunting dogs aren't pampered like pet dogs, but I've been truly disgusted by some of the treatment of hunting dogs. Animal abuse is abuse and neglect is neglect. The fact that this dog was used for hunting doesn't get the owner off the hook IF this dog was in as bad shape as this woman claims.

And as for the whole maudlin " I wish people cared for their fellow man like this..." Seriously? So you're saying if a person was half dead at the airport this woman would have stepped over him? In my experience, compassionate people are compassionate people. The animal lovers I know including myself are usually the first to help another person.

Last time I checked, we can't ship people in crates so I don't see how this even applies. But believe me, if people could ship their kids in crates across country and save money on airfare, they would !

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 12-06-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A better solution would be to do her job and then notify the authorities.

She was hired to load baggage, not to inspect baggage. If she thinks she should get to choose what baggage to load, she should get another job.
So you'd be okay if she loaded a bag full of weapons, rotten food, drugs, etc, just because she was told it had cleared? Sometimes it's good to use common sense, even if it's at the risk of a lousy job. Ya know?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Last time I checked, we can't ship people in crates so I don't see how this even applies. But believe me, if people could ship their kids in crates across country and same money on airfare, they would !
Have you seen that commercial (forget what product it's for) where the parent tries to do that?

And you're right, it's unfair to assume people don't care for humans too, simply because they care for animals. Are we only allowed to care about one or the other? I must have missed that memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies