Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,242,311 times

Advertisements

Gunfire reported near White House - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Authorities are investigating a report that gunshots were fired near the White House. At least one suspect was still at large and several streets were shut down, NBC Washington reported.

[...]

Police are looking for bullet holes and haven't confirmed that shots were actually fired. Schlosser said The White House is a fair distance away and doesn't appear to have been the focus.
Thoughts? Please don't turn this into a gun debate, race debate, conservative vs. liberal debate, whatever. What are your thoughts on what this was v. what it could have been, and what could have happened if this was indeed someone firing randomly in the White House's direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,771,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post

Thoughts? Please don't turn this into a gun debate, race debate, conservative vs. liberal debate, whatever. What are your thoughts on what this was v. what it could have been, and what could have happened if this was indeed someone firing randomly in the White House's direction?
An escalation in the level of political violence in the US.

It's not going to get better any time soon unless the economy miraculously gets better.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

It's not going to get better any time soon unless the economy miraculously gets better.

Thank you for your brief, non-divisive and ontopic answer.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM

45,989 posts, read 61,484,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Or, more likely, another one of the nearly daily gun battles that happen in DC between various crews/sets/gangs in the neighborhoods around the White House and Capitol Hill.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,260,547 times
The article did not mention a time, otherwise we could check which right wing CD poster didn't post anything.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Right at the top, "updated 11/12/11 12:30AM ET"

Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM

5,389 posts, read 7,267,717 times
Shots fired near the White House are rare, as stated in the current WaPo article. The neighborhoods around the WH are not like Capitol Hill, where the latter has a higher likelihood of crime.

But since gunfire in DC overall isn't a rarity, to jump to conclusions that gunfire near the WH is probably politically motivated would
be presumptuous. Latest reports state this was probably a confrontation between occupants of two cars, coincidentally near the WH at the time.

At least once that I can recall, someone actually went up to the WH fence and fired shots at the building. That you can call politically motivated.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:42 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,128,727 times
Quote:

My thoughts are the OP should have read the article in its entirety:

Quote:
Police are looking for bullet holes and haven't confirmed that shots were actually fired. Schlosser said The White House is a fair distance away and doesn't appear to have been the focus.
Much ado about nothing. Afterall, Washington DC has the nation's strictest gun laws and the most security per capita of any other city in the nation.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My thoughts are the OP should have read the article in its entirety:

Much ado about nothing. Afterall, Washington DC has the nation's strictest gun laws and the most security per capita of any other city in the nation.

I'm curious why you didn't think I read the article in its entirety. As for the latter part, I'm fairly certain that it's sarcasm but the lack of the smiley makes me unsure.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,128,727 times
Quote:
I'm curious why you didn't think I read the article in its entirety. As for the latter part, I'm fairly certain that it's sarcasm but the lack of the smiley makes me unsure.
Why? The portion I put in quotes. There is nothing at all to indicate what you suggested.

Sarcasm? Me? Naaaaaaaaaaw. Big Sis is on the job. I'm certain that just like our southern border and all those guns BATFE ran across it without our knowledge that our country has never been safer. I feel safe, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies