Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times

Advertisements

The Russian capital markets are not the usual stop for foreign companies looking to raise money. But Canadian miner Uranium One Inc., which is controlled by a state-owned Russian firm, forged new ground on Friday by unveiling a plan to issue US$950-million of bonds in Russia.
Needless to say, this is a unique deal.

“If the transaction takes place, it would be the first occurrence of a foreign company issuing debt in Russia,” BMO Capital Markets analyst Edward Sterck wrote in a note.

If the offering succeeds, the bonds would be traded on Russia’s MICEX stock exchange and offered solely in Russia. They would be issuable in two series and have terms of up to 10 years.

Uranium One is probably the sole Canadian company that would even consider a deal like this. Last year, the Vancouver-based miner struck a very unusual partnership with Russian uranium firm ARMZ, which is a unit of the state-owned nuclear giant Rosneft. Under the terms of the deal, ARMZ got a controlling interest in Uranium One, while Uranium One received stakes in prized uranium projects along with cash.
The partnership with ARMZ opened up a lot of opportunities for Uranium One to conduct more business in Russia, a jurisdiction that has been very tough to navigate for other foreign investors.

Doing Buisness with Putin will be intersting since Canada and Russia Do not have a great Friendship and Now I think Canada really Should take Boeings offer to sell us a bunch of F-15 Strike Eagles with AESA at a near at cost Rate while we wait for the F-35JSF II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
The Russians have more soul than Americans, and the Canadians are always seeking soul.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,174 times
I hope your leaders never forget that Putin is old school KGB, or the story of the frog and the scorpion.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The Russians have more soul than Americans, and the Canadians are always seeking soul.
Well I do say it is odd for Canada to supply Uranium and doing Nuclear investment deals with Russia because last time Enriched Uranuim and Nuclear Issues were talked about being traded between North America and Russia was from this parked up in the under the Arctic Ice .

Akula Project-941 nuclear submarine (Typhoon class)
Thses were not very Fun times For Canada or the US in term of Soviet/Russian Relations.

Maybe things Change but Russia is not really what I would call our Friend and Putin is not really a Pro-West Kind of Guy.
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Russian+ships+open+public+Vancouver/5677488/5677491.bin (broken link)

VANCOUVER -- An imposing display of Russian military might is anchored at Canada Place for the next three days. The Russian missile cruiser Varyag and tanker Irkut, which will be here until Friday, are open for public tours between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. today and Thursday.

The Varyag is 187 metres long, weighs in at 11,370 tonnes and carries a crew of 515. The Irkut is slightly smaller at 130 metres and 11,140 tonnes with a crew of 62. Russian sailors will participate in Remembrance Day events at the Pioneer Square Cenotaph on Friday and spend time socializing with members of the Canadian navy.

The ships arrived in Vancouver Tuesday after conducting exercises off the coast of Vancouver Island on Monday with Canada’s HMCS Algonquin, which is accompanying the Russian vessels. Vancouver is the final stop on the ships’ Pacific tour, which also included Japan and the U.S., and is aimed at building naval cooperation, according to an official statement.
Russian ships open to the public in Vancouver (http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Russian+ships+open+public+Vancouver/5677488/story.html - broken link)

These are in Vancouver Right now and Russian and Canadian Navy personal spending Remembrance Day together today. Atleast our Vets will have some fun Cold war stories to talk about plus I bet the Russian navy has some decent bottles of Vodka to bring when they spend time socializing with members of the Canadian navy laterToday.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I hope your leaders never forget that Putin is old school KGB, or the story of the frog and the scorpion.
I was speaking in terms of "below, or outside of Government".

The Russians know how bad their government is.

Americans know how bad their government is.

Canadians, on the other hand . . . don't know nuthin".

Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Who would you trust in a business deal, the Russian Government, or the American Government?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Who would you trust in a business deal, the Russian Government, or the American Government?
The definition of a good business deal is when both parties walk away each smugly thinking they screwed the other.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The definition of a good business deal is when both parties walk away each smugly thinking they screwed the other.
I like your insight.

I don't do business that way, but I do business in that culture.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Top businessmen not immune to Putins wrath - YouTube
Putin doing doing a business contract and he gets stuff done and LOL @ And now Give me my pen back!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Not long ago I was low bid on a Federal contract.

At the "kickoff meeting" the Contracting Officer changed all of the requirements that I and the other bidders bid on, held the "new" contract under my nose, slammed her pen down on it, and said, "Sign it!"

Putin is a puszy!

Compared to Lynda Kieres!

Last edited by ergohead; 11-11-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies