Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,008,005 times

Advertisements

Fantastic - after all, "let the market figure it out...." and "if you don't like it, switch providers to one that blocks these types of calls..."

Remember, all you complainers: Everything else is just government intrusion on business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Great - thanks to Republicans caving into big business yet again, I am supposed to PAY for junk robocalls? They just do NOT get it.
Maybe the idiot in the WH will not sign any bill like this.

Then again, he is probably behind it for his get out the vote Acorn style campaigning.

Hey, lets send all my 43% of welfare people a free cell phone so we can remind them to go vote for me.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,524,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Great - thanks to Republicans caving into big business yet again, I am supposed to PAY for junk robocalls? They just do NOT get it.
Do you get charged even if you don't answer the phone? I don't have a cell phone. Probably never will. I'm not updated on the cell companies pricing policies.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,198,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Do you get charged even if you don't answer the phone? I don't have a cell phone. Probably never will. I'm not updated on the cell companies pricing policies.
No you gotta answer it for the call to count.

I can't see how this'll be effective; every cell phone has caller ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not that it can stop all of them, but I have an app on the android called "Blacklist." When you get one of these calls it's one tap to add it to the list, and if they ever call again it will answer than hang up so it won't go to voice mail. As I recall it was free. Works great so far.
Google voice is great for this stuff too. Forwards every voice mail to gmail and even though the transcription software isn't all that great you still get the gist enough of whatever message they leave to know whether or not to ignore/delete. Plus there's the spam option as well, which dumps any messages from that number into the trash. Total game changer as far as removing phone annoyances goes.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,078 times
The big carriers (AT&T, Verizon,) have been fighting this sort of thing for a while now. There was a bill a few years ago to make all cellphone numbers public. It sort of kills one of the big advantages to a cellphone...privacy. Also, you pay for incoming calls if you answer it with most companies as far as your minutes used. I really hope this doesn't pass, it will make everyone's cellphone numbers much more public than you would like.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 AM

431 posts, read 930,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
It's not even surprising anymore. What is surprising is the morons who continue to support these guys(Republicans)!
Well given the alternative " The Liberals" yeah I'll pass and stick with the Right. One can never agree with every single thing ones Political Party does. This just happens to be one of those situations. Heres to hoping this BS doesn't go through.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
No but if you see a message about getting voicemail and check your voicemail using the cell, you get charged for that. I usually check my voicemail from a landline to avoid the charge. It's a primitive phone with no possibility of installing an app to block that garbage. There isn't much in the way of sophisticated technology available up here.

@vamos - I think you need to look up what "intrusion" means. Being pestered by companies with aggressive garbage is intrusion. Preventing them from doing so is common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies