Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,617,578 times

Advertisements

Why for the last two weeks (and actually, all summer) is food that is poisoned and pet food that is poisoned being sold to the American public

What on earth is Border security or US import regulation doing to protect us???

Every night on the news we hear about Wal-mart, toxic toys and food poisoning from other countries......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM

478 posts, read 960,323 times
Short answer: Because "our" government doesn't give a rats ass about you or me.

But it sure is kinda warm and fuzzy to fly the flag, watch John Wayne movies and pretend that they do care!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,647,588 times
Unfortunately, a lot of the management staff in the FDA were appointed for narrow political reasons (e.g., opposition to abortion pills), and not because they had any particular competence in food and drug administration.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
You’re so right! Where are the inspections on imports? This open ports problem has been ongoing in this country for years now ~ and nothing is being done.

When China CEOs fail to provide (get caught!) they commit suicide or are executed by their government after a quick trial. No one here in the states is responsible for anything! Not the government, not the corporations and not the individuals.

On another note I’d seen an investigative report done by one of the tv networks a while back and it indicated that we have very very few inspectors looking at beef, chicken, fish etc. They allow the companies to do a self inspection on their food processing.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 PM

211 posts, read 985,743 times
Because the rich and Corporations are the only people that matter in this country, Corporations make billions of dollars based on cheap overseas labor, they are the only ones who matter, do you know how much Wal Mart stock would go down if they had to make products in the US and have Americans work under some type of legal moral work code? They would make sure to do away with minimum wage and make sure the borders were forever open if they ever had to do that

Old 08-24-2007, 06:37 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,245,682 times
It is because of cut backs in food inspection. This clearly is the fault of the current Bush administration:

Food safety hearing exposes lack of oversight : Consumer Reports on Safety

Old 08-24-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
You’re so right! Where are the inspections on imports? This open ports problem has been ongoing in this country for years now ~ and nothing is being done.

When China CEOs fail to provide (get caught!) they commit suicide or are executed by their government after a quick trial. No one here in the states is responsible for anything! Not the government, not the corporations and not the individuals.

On another note I’d seen an investigative report done by one of the tv networks a while back and it indicated that we have very very few inspectors looking at beef, chicken, fish etc. They allow the companies to do a self inspection on their food processing.
So why are our taxes paying the FDA???? I seriously can't remember when our food supply was so threatened- it is sickening

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-24-2007 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,627,283 times
this was discussed at work today, very scary............

Get Plastic Out Of Your Diet

Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM

37 posts, read 25,784 times
The problem is that most Americans sacrifice quality for economy. People want things for cheap, and do not really care how or where it's made. I try my best to buy American for just that reason. For me, I'd rather buy produce from my local farmer, rather than something from Walmart that was grown in China or Chile. I like to support American made products rather than the junk imported from China. I especially support those who produce handmade American goods. I would sooner spend more money knowing that I am supporting an American citizen than I would buy a product from China, Mexico and the like.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM

How do you buy American??????????? At the supermarket nearly everything is imported from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies