Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:08 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times

Advertisements

well from what you posted sounds like it's over the top treatment.Buy some land and have a endangered species make it home,then try to develop that land and you'll see just how much control you have of your property also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 01:14 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Communities need to have some sort of control over what can be done with private property.

I do not want anyone telling me what I can or cannot do with my little 120X120 plot, I want to be free to do what I want with it.

On the other hand, I do not want my neighbor to be free to have a pig sty or a chicken coop right under my bed room window either.

So, I will give up some of what I feel are my rights, just so my neighbor has to give up some of his too.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
ABOLISH Property Taxes and replace it with Income and Sales Taxes!!!
Let's shaft apartment and house renters woo!!! Shaft them as much as possible so we have more urban sprawl woo!!!

Seriously. If you do that it will make buying a house so much more attractive sprawl will become even worse.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
You NEVER own land in America. If you think you do, stop paying your property taxes to the government and find out who really owns your land.
That is the real point here, undiscussed as it may be.

ps. tried to give points but the system police know better...

Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Sales taxes, but not income taxes! Better yet, since approximately 70% of my annual property taxes are stolen from me to dump into the black hole known as public education, eliminate the public school debt from the backs of property owners, and privatize the educational system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miborn
We do need some sort of police re: property because you always have those who will abuse it. Such as the guy and the weeds/ rats. Some people would have that and more boxes of garbage and worse. For property owners that actually care about their property value rising have a vested interest in all neighbors keeping their home in a pride of ownership kind of way. Then again there is a line that can be crossed by the governing authority and if they are in the least bit power hungry it can become a pain.
I would agree that ordinances should be in place regarding unsightliness ... especially if it involves health concerns (houses being used as drug labs, trash in yards, unkept pools that attract mosquitos, etc.). However, there are many city ordinances on the books that aren't being enforced. So what good is having more laws if nobody is enforcing them?

Even though property owners come in all shapes & sizes (some who care and some who don't), I find that the majority of properties which are dumpy looking, weed infested ramshackles are occupied by RENTERS. Some renters are decent, but I have found many to be lazy, sloppy, and careless. In those cases, I blame the owner (the landlord) for renting the place out to bums.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
I like this idea very much. Property taxes are so evil. The very idea that your home, your sanctuary, your little piece of heaven is being taxed makes me sick.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Nobody owns land. The land was here long before there were any people, and it will be here still long after all the people are gone. In the land's own terms, people are a bunch of short-term squatters. The ownership game is a construct, something made up amongst themselves by and for the people who happen to have temporary (usually military) dominion over an area. Beyond that, it has no meaning at all...

Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am willing to put up with the restrictions of living in a condominium townhouse because it is relatively inexpensive and my condo fee pays for all the outside maintenance. I just happen to hate house painting and roofing of any kind as well as snow shoveling and water and sewer repair. My condo fee pays for all this. Most useful tax I pay.

AFAI am concerned, if the neighbors benefit from my lot being kept neat, then they should pay for cutting the grass. I have better uses for my leisure time

Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Sun Queen (I like your screen name!) - do you have a link to an article?

I feel VERY strongly about property rights, much like you. I'd like to learn more about the property in question. That might give a clue as to the city's motivations for this.
I don't have an article, but it was on the local news on 8/23/07 in Phoenix Arizona. The local paper is the Arizona Republic. You may also find articles in the Mesa Tribune. I hope this helps and if I find an aritcle I will post it. You may even want to try to google the subject with the city and state or search yahoo.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
We do need some sort of police re: property because you always have those who will abuse it. Such as the guy and the weeds/ rats. Some people would have that and more boxes of garbage and worse. For property owners that actually care about their property value rising have a vested interest in all neighbors keeping their home in a pride of ownership kind of way. Then again there is a line that can be crossed by the governing authority and if they are in the least bit power hungry it can become a pain.
I agree with you to a certain extent. The policing of private property should only be done in the most extreme circumstances or when the safety and welfare of the general public is in jeopardy. Especially when it comes to isolated property or property located in rural communities. I know in some of the more modern neighborhoods where the houses are right on top of each other there maybe more of a need for govermental interference from time to time. However, the government's power must be very limited and scrutinized. I don't want to live surrounded by filth, but if I don't mow the lawn in my brick walled/fenced-in backyard for a month or two I don't want to go to jail or pay a fine. I want to be afforded the courtesy of the quiet enjoyment of my property. I want the same thing for my neighbor too. I think in a perfect world everyone would take pride in keeping their property up, but we don't live in a perfect world. We have to learn to tolerate somethings and I guess ignore others within reason. I think as a society we have to get beyond the mentality of "watch what thy neighbor does...least thine own proverty value will be brought down and thy rights violated." As long as we are preoccupied with this scene or something similar we will always miss the bigger picture- govermental regulations are eating away at our freedoms in this country. The voices of the people are no longer heard and their will ignored. I am simply saying there has been a break-down in our democratic process and the problem needs to be fixed...now! The United States is the greatest country in the world...we have to step-up and live out our creed collectively and as individuals. If we fail at this noble deed, we are no longer the "land of the free."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies