Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The number of Americans receiving federal aid for food has skyrocketed in recent years, partly from need and partly, according to Sen. Jeff Sessions, because of abuse.

Food stamps, he told ABC News’ “Top Line” today, are a symptom of a government run out of control.

GOP Sen. Jeff Sessions: Food Stamps ‘Out of Control’ - ABC News
Yeah right... we can bail the 1%'s out with trillions of tax-payer dollars, but food stamps are out of control. School lunches too!

Just another front in the GOP War on the Poor (and the formerly middle-class)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,197,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The number of Americans receiving federal aid for food has skyrocketed in recent years, partly from need and partly, according to Sen. Jeff Sessions, because of abuse.

Food stamps, he told ABC News’ “Top Line” today, are a symptom of a government run out of control.

GOP Sen. Jeff Sessions: Food Stamps ‘Out of Control’ - ABC News

Partly from need, and partly from abuse...

Isn't that how our government works, as well?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
Looks to me like the government subsidizes everyone but the middle class. We just get to pay for it. I would not for one minute begrudge anyone who needs it, food stamps. In my town, Houston, getting benefits has been honed to a fine art by some. There needs to be a way to cull the needy from the greedy here, too.
The schools serve breakfast and lunch. In the summer the effort to not embarrass anybody, they give breakfast and lunch to any kid under 18 who walks in the door. The Feds pick up the tab for the food and preparation. The local school district donate in kind, too.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,962,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I have 8 rental properties in Texas where this jerk is from, mostly all in the low end value range. These white people live pay check to pay check, and are one mishap away from not being able to pay the rent. It could be a car break down, lost job, sickness, etc. Most, sadly vote for this type of idiot who will cut their middle class benefits to keep from modestly rasing taxes on the wealthy. They all think they are bulllet proof till tragedy strikes. They are so brainwashed by right wing propganda they think it's the poor people that are the problem. It's going to get much worse before the learn.
So, everyone who disagrees with you is brainwashed. But you on the other hand, are totally objective and informed.

Thanks for the belly laugh.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,197,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Looks to me like the government subsidizes everyone but the middle class. We just get to pay for it. I would not for one minute begrudge anyone who needs it, food stamps. In my town, Houston, getting benefits has been honed to a fine art by some. There needs to be a way to cull the needy from the greedy here, too.
I agree. I've known people who have scammed the system, and it pissed me off because I worked so hard for so little, and I could have climbed up the ladder a bit if I had done the same, but I was taught better than that. I've been on food stamps on and off over the years, but I've never gotten fat on them. I was always so embarrassed in the 90s when I had to pull out the paper booklets welfare recipients had to use to buy food. I would have much rather had a fat bank account than damned food stamps.

I'm angry at the people who abuse the system, and I'm angry at the people who believe everybody using welfare is a lazy scam artist. I believe there are many people making minimum wage, who aren't wealthy by an means, who would go hungry if it weren't for the government feeding them. All of their money goes to rent, utilities, car payments, insurance, and basic needs. Minimum wage doesn't stretch that far. God forbid your car breaks down, and you can't get to work. The loss of one day of work can send your finances into a tailspin, and you don't usually have any money to get the car fixed. And, I don't even want to get started on healthcare needs. I haven't had government healthcare in 15 years. I made about $8/hr in Oklahoma in the early 2000s, and I didn't qualify for healthcare from DSHS, even though I was a single mom. I dreaded flu season like you wouldn't believe.

Aren't there many enlisted who use food stamps?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sessions: “Well, look, do you think there are four times as many people that need food stamps today as they did in 2001?”

Yes, you idiot, there are. And the fact that you don't know that tells us all we need to know about you.

Where the hell has he been living for the past three years?
Do they have satellite T.V. (cable T.V.), cell phones, Netflix, Playstation network memberships, etc?

You wouldn't know because they don't care if you have those things or not to receive food stamps.

In other words you're subsidizing those things which I'm 100% sure you're okay with that...

Old 10-22-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I have 8 rental properties in Texas where this jerk is from, mostly all in the low end value range. These white people live pay check to pay check, and are one mishap away from not being able to pay the rent. It could be a car break down, lost job, sickness, etc. Most, sadly vote for this type of idiot who will cut their middle class benefits to keep from modestly rasing taxes on the wealthy. They all think they are bulllet proof till tragedy strikes. They are so brainwashed by right wing propganda they think it's the poor people that are the problem. It's going to get much worse before the learn.
And they have no amenities? They go to the library for the interwebs and they call you from their local store because they can't afford a house or cellphone?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,922,663 times
If he'd get his head out of his rear end he would see that the economy has been in depression for at least three years. Want to cut food stamp use: create more decent paying jobs. For good measure, cut Congressional salaries to food stamp level for the next two years.

Last edited by pvande55; 10-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Plural number

Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Then he should create a bill that eliminates food stamps. Either put up or shut up.
Why does it have to be so absolute? Why not tie them to having no amenity accounts?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Of course. The Fed is giving states money for new enrollments of food stamps.
The Fed WANTS more people on food stamps.
Exactly, the Obama administration is actively recruiting and enrolling college students into food stamps as an "entitlement".

Remember when Obama staffer Vilsak called Food Stamps a "jobs program"?
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/1...eople-to-work/

Quote:
I have 8 rental properties in Texas where this jerk is from, mostly all in the low end value range. These white people live pay check to pay check, and are one mishap away from not being able to pay the rent....
So we have a far lefty poster admitting to racism (no other need to identify renters by race/color) and being a Section 8 slum-lord. I should be shocked but this is what I would expect from the far left.

Tony Rezko, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies