Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,725,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Like it or not, Congress are federal employees, just like post office workers, the military, and your local social security office workers.

Are we going to selectively decide which federal employees are eligible for federal healthcare plan coverage and which are sol? Should we hold a special election for that? Should it be the proposed 29th Ammendement, "Citizens will vote on all federal pay and benefits for all federal workers?"
Do postal workers, military, and social security office workers get the same health and pension benefits as Congress?

I would bet, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,515,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do postal workers, military, and social security office workers get the same health and pension benefits as Congress?

I would bet, no.
They are all a bit different, but they're all very rich in terms of payback @ retirement. All are qualified for federal employee pensions. The average American isn't working with pension benefits in 2011, so any federal employee has a "leg up" there, whether they're military, your senator, or your letter carrier!

Military Retirment Pension:
20 years of active service = 50% of final salary for life with 2.5% COL adjustment annually. This can be collected as early as age 37, leaving the serviceman/woman another 30 years to work as a civilian.

40 years active service = 100% of final salary for life with 2.5% COL adjustment annually.

Congress Retirment Pension:
20 years of service = 34-42% (depends on what date they started as the rates are lower now) of avg of last 3 years salary. MUST be age 50 or greater to collect.

30 years of service = 44-71% of avg of last 3 years salary. MUST be age 55 or greater to collect.

10 years of service, but age 60 or greater = 15-25% of avg of last 3 years salary

5 years of service, but age 62 or greater = 8.5-12.5% of avg of last 3 years salary.

Congress also pays 7% of their salaries into their pension/retirement fund.

Average Congressional retirement payout = $35,000 per year or about 19% of their annual salary.

Postal Service
Paid 1% of avg 3 high years pay x years of service. So let's say a postal worker's 3 highest years average $60,000 (Avg postal worker makes $52k so at retirment you'd be a bit over average). He works for 30 years and retires "on time" @ 62. His monthly benefit for life is $18,000 (30% of his high years and 35% of average years). If he works past 62 and takes "late retirment", his monthly benefit is 1.1% avg 3 high years x years of service. At age 64, he'd be getting $21,120 (35% of his high years and 41% of average).

They pay in 7% each year towards their pension, same as congress. Average contribution for average salary is $3.6k per year towards an $18-21k payout with 30+ years service--> $108k avg pay in towards $300-400k retirement payout for a 15-20 year retirement. Live into your 90's and payout could top $600k - a 6X payback is pretty good!

All of these federal workers in each case also pay into & collect Social Security benefits.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM

13,020 posts, read 19,061,556 times
I doubt it has a chance. Did you know it took 202 years for the 27th amendment, that requires an election before a Congressional pay raise to take effect, to get ratified? Remember when a handicapped Representative was elected and found the Halls of Congress were not accessible because Congress exempted itself from the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,019,624 times
I would like to see it as:

Quote:
The Congress shall have NO power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,534,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States
Make that Amendment apply to all public servants, not merely federal legislators, and I'm all for the substance of such a change.

I wish that was done statutorily, as a matter of routine course with respect to all laws they pass, but they don't. I don't like continually tacking on Amendments, but significant ones should be given due consideration, particularly when it is clear that legislators won't voluntarily restrain themselves.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,853,243 times
It would be nice if insider trading laws applied to them, the same it does to everyone else. It is outrageous that they can trade on inside info.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,461,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and,
Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States

I like it if they decide we are to do anything they must also. They will pay, give up, be required to participate in Obamacare, and for all their ideas for us they will be required to go first.
I have all kinds of friends and relatives who keep asking me about that and always give the same answer I will give you. There are two ways to propost an amendment, by Congress or by a Constitutional Convention. The last time a constitutional convention was called the members agreed at the very start to write a whole new document and the Constitution we have now was the result. What would happen if we got a convention with even a slight majority of progressives and they decided to propose a whole new document? I really am afraid of that happening for what may result.

Congress is never going to propose such an amendment so we are left with the Convention. BTW, the Congress has to call the Convention so it won't likely ever happen.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I like it...but you have to remember that the ones effected would be the very ones who would have gto vote it in. That just isn't going to happen.

I would like to see added that they no longer receive benefits and pay for LIFE after they leave public service. But that will never happen either.

Things like pay raises for congress....term limits...and anything that directly effects those who are elected...should be voted on by the PEOPLE!! it shoudl be brought up as a referendum or a proposal for vote...just like any election. WE are the ones who should decide those things...not the ones effected by them.

Can you imagine working for any company where you and the other workers could get together at any time and vote YOURSELF a raise?!?!?!?! And if you got laid off, you would receive FULL PAY and FULL BENEFITS for LIFE?? Wht a racket these guys have made for themselves!!
I don't want to appear to be attacking you but the Constitution does say that they shall determine their salaries. Here comes another amendment.

Since we have a democratic republic I don't think the people should be legislating through direct election or any other manner.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
This happens all the time in the upper, senior leadership end of companies.

Never heard of golden parachutes in the corporate world?

I expect you'll be heading out to OWS promptly to protest.
You are right about those parachutes and just think, there were no huge corporations back when our Constitution was written,

Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, I am one of their 'employers' and I'm tired of paying for their over-the-top healthcare benefits.

Can I pull the plug on those benefits?
Can I refuse to continue to fund those benefits?
I won't get in your way if you want to stop paying taxes of all kinds. Have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies