Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:26 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,827,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Quite True but in the process he made ownership possible for the average person. His production methods lowered the cost to produce and therefore the cost to own. Apple products on the other hand although neat to have were never resonable in price...

As for his passing my condolences to his wife and 4 kids....
A higher price is what you have to pay for the union of form and function because it cost a lot of R&D money to start a project over again to achieve the Jobs’ version of perfection. He made it work though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,062,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
So....do you feel the world changes in Branson from Ithings? or is that just Dolly Parton bouncing off the walls?
How about you wean yourself from trolling for a bit and crack open a geography book?
MO and TN are 2 different states.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,744,182 times
Quote:
yep..he is dead. And now all you read from Generation Iidiot is that he has "changed the world".

So did he change the world?

or was he just a master gadget maker and marketer of such?

Is he really comparable to Henry Ford, Thomas Edison or Marconi? I don't think so. However, those addicted to their Ipacifier seem to think their world has been shaken to the core because they can play Angry Birds while commuting.

Yes, he did change the world. Was it for the better?
Personally, I don't know.

I do find it rather telling all of this non-stop emoting over a man whose claim to fame was very expensive toys made by cheap labor in third-world countries.
'Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish' indeed.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,827,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You could, and that's where the "vision thing" as W would say comes into play. What IBM failed to see soon enough is how the PC could compliment it's mainframe business. IBM and it's customers looked at the PC as a toy that could only hold tiny bits of data as opposed to the big iron that they sold and leased. Remember that there wasn't much of a reason for a PC to exist until VisiCalc showed up.
IBM lost out twice on this one with Bill Gates and DOS. Gates didn't invent DOS (or even own it will negoitating with IBM), but he too saw the bigger picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
And as far as the Bell and the telephone being a world changer, maybe, maybe not. Bell patented the phone in 1876 and adoption of the telephone was very slow. After all how many people needed a strict hardwired point to point service? It's adoption was more evolutionary than revolutionary until the 1940's. The iPhone/smart phone/iPad? Several years.
I think it was Peter Lynch who pointed out that for most technologies, there is a lag time that could be decades from when the are invented to when they become mainstream (which in his case, make money). Look at radio, TV, telephones, planes, computers, etc... Even the computer mouse mentioned here - how long after it was invented did before it came into pratical use?

Old 10-08-2011, 05:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,924,754 times
Steve Jobs was not the only person responsible for the creation of the Iphones, Ipad, Iwhatever. They were probably 100+ people who assisted.

I also don't see the greatness in Apple products when they are upgraded every year. Iphone 4S just came out and next year we're going to have the Iphone 5 with the Ipad3. This trend also exists with other companies.

I want a product that last or can be upgraded; i don't want to buy a brand new product.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,001,687 times
In assessing Steve Jobs I woukdn't try to make him into a later day Henry Ford or Thomas Edison I would say he was a great sythesizer who had the gift for making a business produce products we would find irresistable.. Henry Ford said you could have a car any color you wanted as long as it was black however a man came along bought up a bunch of faltering car companies like Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile etc, offered cars of many different colors, an electric starter even windshield wipers etc. The man was Alfred P. Sloane and he nearly ran Ford Sr and his Model T's and A's into the ditch. Mr. Sloane put GM together and got us to buy new cars just because they were new and improved. Sloane also created GMAC to give us the credit to buy those cars. So this is why I put Jobs in the same niche as Alfred P Sloane a great salesman who had a gift for making me want to buy something. We need these people just like we need the Edisons or Einsteins.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How about you wean yourself from trolling for a bit and crack open a geography book?
MO and TN are 2 different states.
Or you could download a geography app on the iPad.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 AM

817 posts, read 854,454 times
Quote:
yep..he is dead. And now all you read from Generation Iidiot is that he has "changed the world".

So did he change the world?

or was he just a master gadget maker and marketer of such?

Is he really comparable to Henry Ford, Thomas Edison or Marconi? I don't think so. However, those addicted to their Ipacifier seem to think their world has been shaken to the core because they can play Angry Birds while commuting.
From a business and technology stand point he most certainly changed the world. He's not comparable to Ford, Edison, or Marconi but that doesn't matter.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,480,254 times
Unfortunately every hero has their human flaws. Mother Theresa was obsessed with the sick and Mahatma Gandhi was intensely racist against black people and was a pedophile. The downside should definitely be acknowledged, but it doesn't take away from their greatness. Their greatness doesn't excuse their flaws either. But it is important to remember every hero is a human, with an upside and a downside.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,877,478 times
Quote:
This makes no sense because even today we are experiencing the impact of their inventions. See if anyone remembers Ithings 20 years from now.

I suspect you will remember your personal computer, your I-phone, Pixar Studios, The I-pad format, and so on..... I don't see anyone driving a Model T any more yet the impact is still felt, as will Steve Jobs contributions. As an innovator he set a standard that will rarely be out done.

To acknowledge his impact costs us nothing yet some will throw stones as they have nothing better to do, using a device deeply impacted by Steve Jobs. Funny how some spend their time criticizing while others do things productive.....

Let us see the OP's list of contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies