Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
So are all those innocent Jewish children killed by hitler doomed for eternal torment?
Yep, no one ever said God was fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, no one ever said God was fair.
The Christian God is a hateful God.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,583,982 times
OP is a little misleading.

The judge is giving the offender the choice of going to a place of worship one a week for a year in lieu of jail time. You are not forced. You can also go to any place of worship you want. It can be a temple, synagogue, or mosque.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post

The judge is giving the offender the choice of going to a place of worship one a week for a year in lieu of jail time. You are not forced. You can also go to any place of worship you want. It can be a temple, synagogue, or mosque.
If the options are :
1) Jail
2) Fine
3) Religion Center

What of the atheist? Does he just not get a choice number 3? Why should the atheist be treated differently than a religious person?

Also, if you read the article, you'd see they're required to check in weekly - kind of a parole officer type thing - and the only religious centers within the jurisdiction are Christian churches (so effectively #3 is limited to Jesus).

Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:

Still, I find this unacceptable. If they are allowed to do what is equivalent to work release on what would account to a charitable organization, or community service, then why not allow them to volunteer at a goodwill, or some other charitable organization that could use the manual labor?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM

256 posts, read 207,296 times
Quote:

So what about atheist and agnostics?. If the judge were Muslim there would cries about Sharia, but I guess it's OK if a Christian judge forces you to worship.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM

If you were atheist/agnostic, then just pick a church and volunteer your time there. Maybe they need some assistance in cooking some meals for the homeless or some cleaning? You don't have to take part in any of the religious services.

I'm atheist and I think some of you just love to find controversy where there is none.

City budgets all across the country are stretched to the limit and I think this is a good harmless way to deal with non-violent offenders and help cities save some money. Other cities should adopt similar programs.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
If you were atheist/agnostic, then just pick a church and volunteer your time there. Maybe they need some assistance in cooking some meals for the homeless or some cleaning? You don't have to take part in any of the religious services.

I'm atheist and I think some of you guys just love to find controversy where there is none.

City budgets all across the country are stretched to the limit and I think this is a good harmless way to deal with non-violent offenders and help cities save some money.
I would agree with what the city is doing, if they allowed you to volunteer your time at other charities, not just churches. There are local facilities, like the red cross, water front rescue mission, and goodwill that may be tied to churches, but aren't churches. Why not allow people to volunteer there?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I would agree with what the city is doing, if they allowed you to volunteer your time at other charities, not just churches. There are local facilities, like the red cross, water front rescue mission, and goodwill that may be tied to churches, but aren't churches. Why not allow people to volunteer there?
Sure, why not. I have no problem with that either. You should let the judge know (respectfully) that he should allow those who were not religious to volunteer there time at other charities.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Sure, why not. I have no problem with that either. You should let the judge know (respectfully) that he should allow those who were not religious to volunteer there time at other charities.
As I've been told, this was discussed, and because of the "community" atmosphere of the church, it was decided against it.

BTW, there are no Mosques in Bay Minette AL, and no synagogues that I know of, just Christian churches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies