Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,143,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
What gives you the right to speak for Americans?
The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
What gives this guy the right to apologize on behalf of the whole country? I don't know why he feels so apologetic and I don't know if his constituents in Illinois feel they have anything to be sorry for, but I know I don't feel I have anything to be remorseful for and I'm sure most Americans don't either.
But look at the precedent he's set. Before you know it, politicians all across the country will start apologizing to every little group that feels it's been "discriminated" against. (If there are communities of people from Bhutan or Gabon, I'm sure they must already be lining up to demand apologies for something!)

Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM

590 posts, read 555,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Who are "these people?"

If they are otherwise law-abiding, peaceful American Muslims, then we as a country do owe them a collective apology for how they were treated post 9/11.

To hell with the other ones. I know this is a mind-melting conundrum for binary thinking right wing extremists, but it is both possible and appropriate to apologize to people we have done wrong, and have that apology understood as to not apply to those that have done us wrong.

Your post smells of someone wishing to punish the innocent along with the guilty. That's not really an American value, but one that would probably find more traction in the authoritarian regimes of the Middle East, or perhaps on Stormfront.
Law-abiding peaceful American Muslims? I'm sure everyone else thought the 9/11 terrorists were also law-abiding peaceful Muslims. Do you know which one of those law-abiding Muslims might strap a bomb around his or her waist, walk into a crowded building and set it off killing many innocent people, like the law-abiding peaceful Muslims were doing in Israel?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Law-abiding peaceful American Muslims? I'm sure everyone else thought the 9/11 terrorists were also law-abiding peaceful Muslims. Do you know which one of those law-abiding Muslims might strap a bomb around his or her waist, walk into a crowded building and set it off killing many innocent people, like the law-abiding peaceful Muslims were doing in Israel?
Or a Christian go on a bombing and shooting rampage like the nutcase in Norway?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Or a Christian go on a bombing and shooting rampage like the nutcase in Norway?
The one "nutcase" vs. the many nutcase radical Muslims all over the world? The record speaks for itself.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times
Quote:
The one "nutcase" vs. the many nutcase radical Muslims all over the world? The record speaks for itself.
Let us hope such nutcases don't engage in a race, after taking a break. Perhaps you can use that argument to console every victim's family that the Muslims are worse than one who killed their kid because his country was allowing too many Muslims? Try it, unless sanity prevails.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,932,494 times
Quote:
So you hate all Muslims because some of them are nutcases?

Do you hate all men because some of them are nutcases?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
What gives this guy the right to apologize on behalf of the whole country? I don't know why he feels so apologetic and I don't know if his constituents in Illinois feel they have anything to be sorry for, but I know I don't feel I have anything to be remorseful for and I'm sure most Americans don't either. It is offensive to hear these words spoken on behalf of this country.

Illinois Congressman Apologizes to Islamic Students on ‘Behalf of This Country’ | Mike Quigley | Video | TheBlaze.com
Islamic students should not be discriminated against. The fact that this man felt he had to apologize means that he is among the most enlightened in this country. As such, he must let those students know that the enormous ignorance, bigotry, and barbaric behavior from those on the Right, does not represent what this country stands for. Glad to see this in my home state of Illinois.

This country is no place for Conservatives and their bigoted ideology.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you hate all Muslims because some of them are nutcases?

Do you hate all men because some of them are nutcases?
No I didn't say I hated all Muslims, I only said the number of terrorist attacks that were done by radical Muslims throughout the world far exceed those that were done by others.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not okay to treat ANYONE like second-class citizens. That's the principle.
Amen. I wish I could heap reps upon you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies