Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 AM

30,524 posts, read 19,019,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheCrew View Post
i didn't see a sub-forum for a post such as this, so feel free to move it to its necessary location.

my question is this, three days ago i was arrested and the handcuffs were placed very very very tight. I was no resisting or being a threat by any means. I asked for them to be removed but officer literally laughed in my face. I had cuts around my wrist. My thumb and the base of the front and back are numb, i have a friend thats in the medical field and he suggested that it could be "radial neuropathy" which apparently is *common* with hand cuffs being too tight.

i looked up youtube videos and found a man having the EXACT same symptoms as me in a result to tight handcuffs. I will be seeing a doctor tomorrow and possibly an attorney.

I was course to see if i stood a chance?

thanks

Don't get arrested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,181,723 times
Quote:
i didn't see a sub-forum for a post such as this, so feel free to move it to its necessary location.
That's probably because there are significant ethical and liability issues in doling out free legal advice on online message boards. Not that this has ever stopped me before.

Quote:
my question is this, three days ago i was arrested and the handcuffs were placed very very very tight. I was no resisting or being a threat by any means. I asked for them to be removed but officer literally laughed in my face. I had cuts around my wrist. My thumb and the base of the front and back are numb, i have a friend thats in the medical field and he suggested that it could be "radial neuropathy" which apparently is *common* with hand cuffs being too tight.
It is, and you'll likely get over it before long. Oh crap I just gave out medical advice.

Quote:
i looked up youtube videos
That wasn't the best idea.

Quote:
and found a man having the EXACT same symptoms as me in a result to tight handcuffs. I will be seeing a doctor tomorrow and possibly an attorney.
I recommend seeing the doctor.

Quote:
I was course to see if i stood a chance?
No, you were curious. Probably not, it seems a good way to **** off the cops, which even if your are right, is not a good thing to do.

Your injuries are pretty minor. If everything you say is true, then it was wrong for the cops to put those cuffs on so tight. The question is, is it really worth it to make a stink about it? What you were arrested for might also be a factor you may want to consider - I don't know what it was, but I do know that it could affect your credibility with a judge or jury.

It's probably not worth it.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,889,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
First off, don't do things that get you arrested and handcuffed because bad stuff can happen. I doubt very much you have a case since everything you do has a potential to hurt you and nobody is guaranteed a damage free life. You can minimize your exposure to harm though, you have the power..
That strikes me as rather an odd statement.
Do people, other than protesters exercising civil disobedience go out and do things to get themselves arrested? And as for civil disobedience, isn't it sometimes necessary to reject unjust laws?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 AM

32 posts, read 35,689 times
thanks guys, i posted on here to see if anyone had a similar experience. I know nothing i have said was set in stone, i plan on at-least going to a doctor today.

I was arrested on pub intox and disorderly conduct. I was not being very disorderly, i was trying to wait 5 minutes for my friend to come out so we could leave. I guess they assumed i wouldnt remember anything because i was saying nothing but respectful stuff to them.

im not complaining about being arrested, it was how. I left several comments that they made to me out. The whole ride they were making fun of me, while i was just responding with "Yes Sir, or No Sir".
The whole time i was complaining the cuffs were too tight, they continued laughing.

edit- this was the first time i have ever been arrested, not even a speeding ticket... and they knew this... they were not dealing with a hardened criminal.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,194,857 times
Photos of your wrists right after the arrest would have been a good start.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
thanks guys, i posted on here to see if anyone had a similar experience. I know nothing i have said was set in stone, i plan on at-least going to a doctor today.

I was arrested on pub intox and disorderly conduct. I was not being very disorderly, i was trying to wait 5 minutes for my friend to come out so we could leave. I guess they assumed i wouldnt remember anything because i was saying nothing but respectful stuff to them.

im not complaining about being arrested, it was how. I left several comments that they made to me out. The whole ride they were making fun of me, while i was just responding with "Yes Sir, or No Sir".
The whole time i was complaining the cuffs were too tight, they continued laughing.

edit- this was the first time i have ever been arrested, not even a speeding ticket... and they knew this... they were not dealing with a hardened criminal.
Put your anger aside and ask yourself whether it is worth the money and time you will spend to do something about this.

Clearly you are in the right, but that doesn't win you a case. Since they got you on a drunk and disorderly charge (I had a feeling it was something like that), it will be very easy for them to:

1) Convince a jury you are making too big a deal out of it (as untrue as that may be)

2) Convince a jury that it is at least reasonable for them to conclude that you did it to yourself chafing against the cuffs because you were drunk and couldn't feel the injury you were inflicting on yourself.

So, is it worth it? If you are doing this just because you are angry, then the answer is no.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Put your anger aside and ask yourself whether it is worth the money and time you will spend to do something about this.

Clearly you are in the right, but that doesn't win you a case. Since they got you on a drunk and disorderly charge (I had a feeling it was something like that), it will be very easy for them to:

1) Convince a jury you are making too big a deal out of it (as untrue as that may be)

2) Convince a jury that it is at least reasonable for them to conclude that you did it to yourself chafing against the cuffs because you were drunk and couldn't feel the injury you were inflicting on yourself.

So, is it worth it? If you are doing this just because you are angry, then the answer is no.

The problem is that this is effecting my everyday life. *My Friend* and *the internet* said symptoms could last from couple of days to permanent. Im on a basketball team that i havent been able to play on, i can barely right, and at work can not lift things or type on a computer comfortably.

IF its just for a few days ill just call the supervisior, if this keeps affecting me and not allowing me to do my school work, or work.... i will seek a lawyer.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The problem is that this is effecting my everyday life. *My Friend* and *the internet* said symptoms could last from couple of days to permanent.
I've had what you describe, and it's not likely to be permanent. Again, you need to consult a licensed physician and not get your information from the Internet.

Quote:
Im on a basketball team that i havent been able to play on, i can barely right, and at work can not lift things or type on a computer comfortably.
Then file a civil law suit for damages. It's possible they'll just give you a little money to make the case go away. Again, is it worth it? There is almost nothing more expensive than litigation. You may well win your case just to see the bulk of your award go to your attorney to pay his or her fees.

Depending on how much you want to ask for, you could go to small claims court and represent yourself. You'll get less of course (there's a maximum cap on what you can claim) but at least you wouldn't have to pay an attorney. Document everything. Bring your medical records.

Quote:
IF its just for a few days ill just call the supervisior, if this keeps affecting me and not allowing me to do my school work, or work.... i will seek a lawyer.
Get ready for sticker shock! Who knows, maybe you'll get something out of it, enough to be worth it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks strel, hopefully it will go away.... right now i have to keep my hand pretty much in a pledge of allegiance stance, because if i straighten it out, its twitches and goes numb, like falls asleep.

youre right its probably not worth it... but of course before i do anything i will seek professional medical advice and possible law advice...

thanks again.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM

i also have taken pictures two days after, should have done it right away. The cuts are still there, youd think there shouldnt be swollen wrist and cuts all over wrist.

ive also read somewhere that an officer must loosen cuffs if its a solid complaint. to answer another poster i also remember in law class that once a cop puts you in handcuffs that he is responsible for your actions, and to make sure you dont hurt yourself or the cuffs arent too tight.

i may be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies