Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:15 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,866,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
In English the noun comes after the adjective
Quote:
In the normal version of English. I don't know what version you speak
What makes you think that black or black and conservative describe the term American?

He's an American, he's black and he's conservative. 3 different terms, all of which stand up just fine on their own without the need for the other 2. Why can't you admit that you were wrong and were just trolling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:18 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,436,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You read from left to right; not right to left and you think he is stupid.
Exactly, reading left to right puts both "black" and "conservative" after "American" and since in English the noun comes last that put's "American" third

What Cain is saying is that he's a conservative who's also black and he's a black conservative who's also an American

Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,270,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what he said.
Neither do i.

In fact, why does anyone care what Herman Cain calls himself? Why is that an issue?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Oh give me a break.
I'm not a Cain fan but your really stretching to find something to criticize and as for calling him dumb, thats just plain mean spirited.
Well he did say "deal with it" and that's exactly what I'm doing. Did he think we were going to be cowed or intimidated by his gaffes?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Well he did say "deal with it" and that's exactly what I'm doing. Did he think we were going to be cowed or intimidated by his gaffes?
This isn't a gaffe, this is you irrationally ranting about ideas that you have about something simple that was said.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Actually OP is grammatically correct but the point is absurd.

Grammatically, black modifies conservative, American modifies conservative. The shiny red car describes foremost a car, not a red thing or a shiny thing.

But to extract that out of his statement and suggest it shows Cain thinking what OP is suggesting is silly.
I'm not the one who started the absurdity. I'm just the one who started this thread. Conservatives have been whining for years about the term "African American" claiming that it puts America second. (for some strange reason I never heard them complain about "Irish American" or "German American" et al

Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,970,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You say he says American black conservative. In English that says he is an American first and a conservative third. What is your native language and when will you learn English?
Exactly! He will tell you he's ABC. American 1st Black 2nd and Conservative 3rd. You should pay attention before you criticize.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What makes you think that black or black and conservative describe the term American?

He's an American, he's black and he's conservative. 3 different terms, all of which stand up just fine on their own without the need for the other 2. Why can't you admit that you were wrong and were just trolling?
You mean in his statement? They don't. In his statement American and black are describing conservative

Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one who started the absurdity. I'm just the one who started this thread. Conservatives have been whining for years about the term "African American" claiming that it puts America second. (for some strange reason I never heard them complain about "Irish American" or "German American" et al
Conservatives aren't concerned with the order, conservatives are concerned with hyphenated people who are African and American. He didn't say he was African then American did he? No of course not.

He said he was American first, he didn't list another nation/country/continent as second or third did he? Of course he didn't.

Why can't you come up with a better trolling thread than this? Leave this intelligent black man alone.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
You mean in his statement? They don't. In his statement American and black are describing conservative
And that has NOTHING in common with claiming that you're African American does it? No of course it doesn't. Why are you attacking this intelligent black American? Herman Cain should be seen as a role model for kids in this country instead people like you attack him because he says what needs to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies