Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this example of "price gouging" illegal?
Yes 11 57.89%
No 5 26.32%
Pie 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM

5,418 posts, read 9,233,578 times

Advertisements

That's ridiculous. While I'm sure it probably isn't illegal, I would definitely say it's something only an ******* would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,350,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I could walk into WalMart, Best Buy, and/or most retailers, change their price label (or make a hand-written paper one), take a picture with the new price label, then start circulating it around. Doesn't make the picture legit.
It's a conspiracy!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,216,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
That's ridiculous. While I'm sure it probably isn't illegal, I would definitely say it's something only an ******* would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Obvious price gouging but I don't know about illegal since a stadium can charge 4 bucks for water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
When the looting hits they won't get anything for it. If they can get that now, so be it. People should be prepared well enough that they don't have to go buy water the day before a hurricane hits.
In the state of New Jersey, it is illegal to purposely hike up the price of commodities (like water) when there is a declared State of Emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's a conspiracy!
Nah. I am more inclined to think it was a joke than a conspiracy.

If it is proven to be real, that store will face some pretty serious repercussions.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Ahem...my friend is now famous.

PHOTO: Hurricane Irene inspires Best Buy in Howell NJ to sell 24-pack Dasani Water for $40.56 - Democratic Underground

http://iwitness.7online.com/MediaIte...spx?id=1433276

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
In the state of New Jersey, it is illegal to purposely hike up the price of commodities (like water) when there is a declared State of Emergency.
How do you know it's purposeful? What if it is the supply/demand curve shifting due to scarcity?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,186,964 times
Default I think -

Quote:
In some places, it's illegal to do this when the area has declared a state of emergency.

Just checked: New Jersey is one of those states.

I personally find it disgusting for a business to take advantage of people - if this picture is even legit.
I think we need more information.

!. What is the NORMAL cost of these bottled water products in new Jersey?

2. Does best Buy normally carry this product, and if so, at what cost?

3. If not, and they bought and had it express shipped, it's cost may not be so out of line, as overnight shipping of product such as this from another state, may be fairly costly.

Quote:
What this means is that a retailer is allowed to raise their prices by up to 10 percent during a time of emergency, without it being considered price gouging. However, once those price increases are more than 10 percent higher than the prices before the State of Emergency, that retailer is breaking the law!

If the retailer had to increase their prices more than 10% due to the prices of their supplies increasing, or due to other “logistical concerns” because of the State of Emergency, they will also take into account.

Basically, if it now costs 50% more to ship food to that area, then the grocery stores most likely won’t be punished for raising their prices by more than 10%.

Last edited by Darkatt; 08-30-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM

If "gouging" (doesn't exist IMO) is illegal, Best Buy should just hide the water to avoid any fights or riots for the remaining inventory.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,034 times
Quote:
How do you know it's purposeful? What if it is the supply/demand curve shifting due to scarcity?
If clean water became a scarcity... I wouldn't care what the price was I would just take it.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,216,077 times
Quote:
Scarcity is not a valid reason to raise prices during a State of Emergency:

As Darkatt posted:
Quote:
What this means is that a retailer is allowed to raise their prices by up to 10 percent during a time of emergency, without it being considered price gouging. However, once those price increases are more than 10 percent higher than the prices before the State of Emergency, that retailer is breaking the law!

If the retailer had to increase their prices more than 10% due to the prices of their supplies increasing, or due to other “logistical concerns” because of the State of Emergency, they will also take into account.

Basically, if it now costs 50% more to ship food to that area, then the grocery stores most likely won’t be punished for raising their prices by more than 10%.
Increase due to:
Transportation costs? Yes.
Scarcity because people need it? No.

Price Gouging laws exist to prevent companies from taking advantage of short-term demand increases of things like bottled water, house repair items, etc.

Edit to add:
They're not price gouging.

They are ringing up each bottle individually at the cost of $1.69/bottle for the Dasani and $1.99/bottle for the Smart Water.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 08-30-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Scarcity is not a valid reason to raise prices during a State of Emergency:

As Darkatt posted:

Increase due to:
Transportation costs? Yes.
Scarcity because people need it? No.

Price Gouging laws exist to prevent companies from taking advantage of short-term demand increases of things like bottled water, house repair items, etc.
The argument would make sense if BB was in the water profit making business. These remaining items would contribute very little to its bottom line.

Fortunately, LEO are too busy saving lives to enforce this fictional "price gouging" nonsense. Unenforceable laws are my favorite kind of laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies