Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

My thought is that we should create an infrastructure program nationwide. Anyone on unemployment would become a part of the rebuilding, in one way or another, in order to cash a check. Instant shovel ready jobs.

What's your idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
My idea is that none of that is going to happen since the government isn't going to spend money for a while unless it's a tax cut for the rich.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Take away the exercise equipment of prisoners and hand them a shovel and putl them all on a chain gang cleaning up the Gulf Coast or New Orleans.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
My thought is that we should create an infrastructure program nationwide. Anyone on unemployment would become a part of the rebuilding, in one way or another, in order to cash a check. Instant shovel ready jobs.

What's your idea?
The problem is not the work, or even finding the people to do the work. The problem is getting the people in MANAGEMENT to shut up long enough to actually DO something instead of talking about it endlessly.

Part of the problem in this country is that in COLLEGE nobody learns how to do anything except THEORIZE. When it comes to implementing programs, nobody knows how to do anything except talk.

And then, of course, there are the rules, and regulations and laws governing ecology that have to be "considered". You can't just build a road anymore without doing a 6 month study how it will affect the surrounding flora and fauna, and weather it will cause acid rain, or global warming.

It's so frustrating.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Its pretty easy to do... not hard at all... the problem is the government doesn't like to do things smart and easy... they rather have it expensive and last for a long time... otherwise, how else are they going to waste your money? I like to see some personal responsibility... if the Government overspends X% then the politicians paychecks are reduce X%... that simple...

Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

What's your idea?
We're too busy working interstructure with the Globalists.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
1) Stimulus program funds were aimed at "shovel ready" projects, yet a significant portion remained unused. Not many people are aware of that.
2) Unlike in other countries, where the government is actively involved in many large infrastructure projects (Europe, Japan, China), the US government is not ready for such tasks.
3) US citizens expect private companies to start building new highways and bridges, modernize airports, dig tunnels, develop high speed trains. Its not going to happen.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
It depends on the funding and how efficiently the funding is used. The governing authority granted the funds can either create a bunch of little projects that would employ many people in the short term or create a couple of big projects that employ fewer people for the long term. Of course, many states will probably use the funds as a budget balancing strategy, and not for infrastructure.

Bringing a project to the shovel ready status doesn't take long at all when a fast-track policy is put in place. Especially for projects "on the shelf", i.e., completed up to a point already.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Stimulus program funds were aimed at "shovel ready" projects, yet a significant portion remained unused. Not many people are aware of that.
2) Unlike in other countries, where the government is actively involved in many large infrastructure projects (Europe, Japan, China), the US government is not ready for such tasks.
3) US citizens expect private companies to start building new highways and bridges, modernize airports, dig tunnels, develop high speed trains. Its not going to happen.
#1) I'm sorry, but I live in Los Angeles where $62M of stimulus paid for 48 jobs. Please give me a break on that money left over thing. It's falling on deaf ears, I hope.

#2) See #3

#3) It's the government that has perpetuated these good'ole boy networks of private contractors whom they allow to bid (UP), taking kickbacks along the way. I was a private contractor, I know the routine. IT IS and always has been private companies that grease the political wheels on public projects -- at the state and fed levels. The city level projects are the guys you see in the streets filling holes, trimming trees, repairing sidewalks. You know, four to manage and one to dig.

Note: I must say that city workers have recently been stellar on my streets. Something made them change... Gee, I wonder why? Grin!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Take away the exercise equipment of prisoners and hand them a shovel and putl them all on a chain gang cleaning up the Gulf Coast or New Orleans.
Sure, but how is this going to help employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies