Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,519,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"" The reason why the poor and low income earner play lottery is because they lack of basic math skill.""

How condescending and erroneous of you.

The poor buy tickets because they really don't want to be poor anymore and to work your way out of poverty in America is a superhuman feat that is daunting to face.

I honestly don't know WHY poor people buy lottery tickets. Perhaps someone should ASK them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,519,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
SC lottery funds went to paying for college educations supposedly....

Oh. My. God.

If that is true, that is just about the most regressive government policy I can imagine.

In USA, college students overwhelmingly come from higher income families.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,902,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh. My. God.

If that is true, that is just about the most regressive government policy I can imagine.

In USA, college students overwhelmingly come from higher income families.
South Carolina Education Lottery

South Carolina Education Lottery - Education Wins

Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,355,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Naw, income taxes require income and most of the people I encounter at the mini mart don't appear to be employed. Hard to maintain a job when you're buying a six pack at 10:00 am.
Do you work at "the mini-mart"?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:48 PM

201 posts, read 236,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm pretty sure you have that backward. The people who pay no taxes are also the ones leaching off society...the ones getting welfare, the ones who end up incarcerated, the ones the police are being used against....

No you have it backwards.

The wealthy benefit most from our taxes, and as a percent of their earnings, they pay the least.

If you can't understand that, I expect you to be a republican booster for life while being figuratively raped by their policies.

To other folks who are talking about liberals in government, there are so few true leftists elected that they really don't matter in national government. I can think of about a dozen of the top of my head.

Any "democrat" who is a capitalist is center right at best.

FORGET for one minute the partisan and social issues that divide us. We must help the poor, elderly, unemployed and poorly educated. We need more revenue to do that or we are done, over, finished.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,126,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post

You guys have taxes all wrong - you have think about society as a whole. In the last decade the top 5% of Americans have increased their wealth by 18% but the bottom 50% have seen their's lower by 12%. The ONLY fair system is a progressive one.
LOL

No.

Flat tax or FairTax are the only ways to get it done with the most fairness to everyone.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,126,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post

If you look at the situation as it is, the last decade has seen middle and lower class people lose jobs, take cuts in pay and benefits etc whilst the top 10% have seen their salary's and bonuses increase at record rates - how is that even moral? The top 1% are now worth more than the federal budget.

PLEASE tell me you are kidding. What do you mean, how is it moral? Probably b/c the rich actually work harder and smarter than the poor people, who half the time don't work but a part time job so they can keep their bennies flowing? Morality has nothing to do with it, except maybe when you talk about who is willing to work for what they have versus who just wants a handout.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:07 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
LOL

No.

Flat tax or FairTax are the only ways to get it done with the most fairness to everyone.

flat taxes are inefficient by almost all economic theory. I guess what you and I define as 'fair' are entirely different.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,355,954 times
"fair tax" = national sales tax...just call it what it is

Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,434,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I'm fascinated by this and I'm anxious to hear what others have to say. I live in North Carolina where we never had a state lottery until just a couple of years ago. The thing is, the overwhelming majority of the people that I see purchasing lottery tickets are obviously lower middle class and poor people. It isn't unusual to see a customer in line at the local mini mart buying a six pack, some smokes and $10 worth of lottery tickets. Personally, I love the fact that the very class of people that supposedly can't afford to pay taxes will line up and volunteer their money in exchange for a shot at getting rich.

Anyway what a brilliant idea the lottery was! No need for forced taxation of the poor. Just mad that I didn't think of it.
Raising taxes on the poor only to increase, or leave their government assistance the same is asinine and stupid.

Either cut their assistance, or don't raise their taxes.

Giving someone 5 dollars, while taking 2 out of their back pockets creates the need for more and more tax collectors and auditors, creating government bureaucracy and adds middle men to a process.

If you want the poor to pay more of their own way, lower their benefits. It doesn't create the need for more tax collectors and people to oversea how much they are paying, while lowering the need for social workers.

Win win.

Raising taxes on the poor while they receive government benefits is stupid, robbing Peter to pay Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies