Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 05:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

ANNVILLE, Pa. - Brittany Vojta survived boot camp. It was high school she couldn't make it through. Now, however, she has benefited from a program the National Guard started this year in Pennsylvania for privates who drop out of high school after signing up.

In an old barracks at Fort Indiantown Gap, the 18-year-old Cleveland woman and other dropouts spent three intensive weeks in class this summer to help them pass their GEDs — so they would meet the minimal educational requirement for staying in the Guard.

Military opens door to more dropouts - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
I don't see the problem here. Not many people I know of would readily drop out of high school for boot camp. The only thing I see out of it is that the National Guard is taking people who currently can't get a decent paying job, helping them get a GED, and giving them the opportunity to learn a skill to push them ahead in life.

That's great. I know somebody who did this in the Navy. His mom pulled him out of high school to make him get a job to assist with bills. Navy recruiter enticed him into coming in. During boot camp, he worked extra hard and got a GED, and he's now an OS (helps navigate the ship). So now he's got a decent paying job to help his mother, he's got a GED, and he has a career.

At least he's TRYING to make his life better.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I don't see the problem here. Not many people I know of would readily drop out of high school for boot camp. The only thing I see out of it is that the National Guard is taking people who currently can't get a decent paying job, helping them get a GED, and giving them the opportunity to learn a skill to push them ahead in life.

That's great. I know somebody who did this in the Navy. His mom pulled him out of high school to make him get a job to assist with bills. Navy recruiter enticed him into coming in. During boot camp, he worked extra hard and got a GED, and he's now an OS (helps navigate the ship). So now he's got a decent paying job to help his mother, he's got a GED, and he has a career.

At least he's TRYING to make his life better.
Couldn't agree more, seems like a smart approach for both the individual and the military. Closest thing I have seen to a win/win situation in a long time.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 PM

141 posts, read 686,208 times
I have to agree, these kids needed help and they got it. My hope is they don't wind up in Iraq.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Maybe boot camp is something a lot of young people need who are having a hard time staying in school or dropping out. They need motivation or a feeling of accomplishment they are not getting in a traditional school setting. Not everyone was meant to learn calculus, english literature, art history or the pressure of performing on the playing field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies