Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:27 AM

24,466 posts, read 27,340,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't know about you, but i am seeing small businesses fail all around me.

lots of businesses for sale or rent.

that might have something to do with the rising unemployment rate and astronomical food stamp and social service usage.

the government regulatory environment is not conducive to small business growth.

the big government-connected seem to be doing fine, however.
Most small businesses have a high failure rate, it's always been like that. During down economic times, it weeds out the weak. However, tax increases aren't any concern for them because they'd have to be making $251k net profit to notice any tax increase and if they are in the top bracket, there is no need to worry. I also trade on the stock market. We have been in an upward trend for awhile now and I believe it's just the beginning. The unemployment rate will take awhile until it goes back to 4-5%. Businesses small and large have become more efficient and effective. That also means cutting payroll, having employees do more than one role, so until demand increases, most of those lost jobs won't come back because they have learned to cross-train their employees. The unemployment rate will be the last thing to recover. I know in our business we feel a recovery from contracts with major corporations to the average local customer. Public corporations have consistently been reporting great earnings. Many have record cash on hand. I wouldn't be worried about a double dip recession, I see signs of recovery all around, but it isn't going to be a fast recovery. All I can say is the worst is behind us...at least for the next 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,923,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the government regulatory environment is not conducive to small business growth.
the OP is not claiming that the regulations are conducive to growth... they are saying that smart businesses hire based on demand, not on current taxes or the fear of future tax increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies