Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,962,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I find it funny that the OP is ONLY NOW complaining about hypocrisy and partisan politics when this as been going on, on both sides for decades. Case in point, HC plan taken directly from the repubs, Ryans budget plan will add to the deficit and require the need for the debt ceiling to be raised....but only the dems are hypocrits and playing partisan politics. Guess she hasn't shaken hands with the kettle yet
Five years ago I thought unprotected sex was okay, today a complete 365 degree turn around.

I guess changing your mind due to changing circumstances is now prima facie evidence of hypocrisy.

Who woulda thought....only Conservatives..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,113,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We kicked out 15 of the 20, give us more time so we can get rid of the last 5.
Um, I don't think most were "kicked out." Here's a list of the initial cosponsors of the Individual Mandate (all Republicans):

(No Longer in the Senate - "Kicked Out" as you put it)
Jesse Helms
Bob Dole
Strom Thurmond
Trent Lott
Larry Craig
Ted Stevens
Frank Murkowski
Alan Simpson
Bob Bennett
Hank Brown
Lauch Faircloth
Paul Coverdell
Conrad Burns
Judd Gregg
Dirk Kempthorne
Connie Mack
Bob Smith
Malcolm Wallop

(Still In the Senate)
Orrin Hatch
Charles Grassley
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Daniel Coats
Thad Cochran
Richard Lugar

Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,120 times
sanrene,

The Republicans passing that bill KNEW it was not going to make it through the Senate. They're just playing politics to appeal to simpletons. Passing something you know is DOA is not trying to get things done. It's passing the buck to try to appeal to your base.

Instead of being mad at Democrats, you might want to ask yourself why people would pass bills that they know won't work or even why Republicans didn't do any of this themselves when they had full control of the House, Senate and Presidency during the last decade.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,141 times
So did Elizabeth Warren, as recently as 2007, as the WSJ editorial page pointed out.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
sanrene,

The Republicans passing that bill KNEW it was not going to make it through the Senate. They're just playing politics to appeal to simpletons. Passing something you know is DOA is not trying to get things done. It's passing the buck to try to appeal to your base.

Instead of being mad at Democrats, you might want to ask yourself why people would pass bills that they know won't work or even why Republicans didn't do any of this themselves when they had full control of the House, Senate and Presidency during the last decade.
Excuse me, but it was defeated 51-46, NOT a landslide defeat at all.

Since it is THE ONLY plan, since obama and the dems HAVE NO PLAN, nothing on paper, it was the right thing to do.

Oh, the public seems to agree with the plan too.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,148,393 times
The same old tired dog and pony show. The GOP pandering to the extreme right as they continue to do nothing to create jobs and put all their efforts into further enriching the rich.

Remember when we would criticize House Republicans for having no plan for the deficit? Well, they’ve managed to come up with a plan that’s worse than nothing. Last night they passed their “cut, cap, and balance” deficit reduction plan. The plan is utterly unworkable, and it will never become law. That’s the best you can say for Congressional Republican ideas—they’re terrible, but at least they have no chance of becoming reality.
Randi Rhodes

Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
So did Elizabeth Warren, as recently as 2007, as the WSJ editorial page pointed out.
Is she a senator/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Excuse me, but it was defeated 51-46, NOT a landslide defeat at all.

Since it is THE ONLY plan, since obama and the dems HAVE NO PLAN, nothing on paper, it was the right thing to do.

Oh, the public seems to agree with the plan too.
Is there a difference between a landslide defeat and some other kind of defeat? Is one less defeated by a non-landslide defeat.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:39 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is she a senator/

Is there a difference between a landslide defeat and some other kind of defeat? Is one less defeated by a non-landslide defeat.
Considering Reid couldn't get the votes to filibuster and the vote was close, it certainly deserved a vote.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
Okay Democrats on here. Tell me why this was a bad bill. So far all I've seen is your defense of the Democrats because the Republicans have been hypocritical in the past (not gonna argue that one because it's true). I don't care if a Democrat or Republican proposed this bill, it was a good idea. So give me some concrete reasons.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Considering Reid couldn't get the votes to filibuster and the vote was close, it certainly deserved a vote.
That's not an answer to the questions in my post.

My senator favors a balanced budget, but no one that is so inflexible.

Sen. Mark Udall pushes for balanced budget amendment - The Denver Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies