Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times

Advertisements

Last month, China made news over creating cows that produced human breast milk. If you missed that story, watch it here:

‪Breast Is Best: Chinese Cows Produce Human Milk‬‏ - YouTube

Many Americans were shocked and horrified at this news, seeing this as some kind of Frankenstein creation by the Chinese, as if Chinese scientists made a human/cow hybrid. First of all, they just took one gene from humans, the gene for breast milk, and implanted it into cow embryos. It's just one gene. Human beings are the sum of their genes, not one. Secondly, this will benefit China in huge ways. Many people don't realize that close to 100 percent of East Asians are lactose intolerant. East Asians don't posses the gene that Europeans do for breaking down cow's milk. Human breast milk is far more nutritious than cow's milk and humans can digest it much easier. This new breed of cows (after there are enough of them) will be able to produce milk that will help millions of malnourished people, mainly the Chinese.

So what does this have to do with America? The Chinese are pushing forward with genetic studies that America is afraid to pursue. China has the largest genetics lab in the world, Beijing Genomics Institute, working on sequencing the human genes for intelligence. Once they've cracked that code, the Chinese will eventually learn to manipulate human genes and create smarter and stronger people. The story with the cows is just the precursor. If we're worrying about falling behind China now, we'll never be able to catch up to China once they start pumping out super geniuses by the thousands.

If you think that human cloning and genetic manipulation is immoral, because we shouldn't be playing God, ask yourself this: How did we justify creating thousands of nuclear missiles that could destroy the world during the Cold War with the USSR? Because we knew if we didn't we'd lose. Simple as that.

Last edited by Supachai; 07-16-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I don't believe in anything that is a GMO is consumable. Ever

Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
..... i bet a half hour later they're all thirsty again....lol!!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's plenty of GMO foods already sold in America, many of which aren't even labelled as such. Many are just used as ingredients in other foods. You probably consume GMO foods all the time unless you specifically go out of your way to eat organic foods.

I think the genetically modified cows in China will be a huge boon for that nation. China has already seen a dramatic rise, but there are still hundreds of millions living in poverty and malnourished. The availability of a nutritious milk that can be given to Chinese children will only increase the rate of that rise. For comparison, in 1970 the average IQ of South Koreans was 90 due to malnutrition. 20 years later it was at 104. Will the US be able to compete with a billion high IQ Chinese? It's doubtful. We can either sit back and fret over ethics or try to keep up.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
If I want human breast milk, I'm going directly to the original source.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There's plenty of GMO foods already sold in America, many of which aren't even labelled as such. Many are just used as ingredients in other foods. You probably consume GMO foods all the time unless you specifically go out of your way to eat organic foods.

I think the genetically modified cows in China will be a huge boon for that nation. China has already seen a dramatic rise, but there are still hundreds of millions living in poverty and malnourished. The availability of a nutritious milk that can be given to Chinese children will only increase the rate of that rise. For comparison, in 1970 the average IQ of South Koreans was 90 due to malnutrition. 20 years later it was at 104. Will the US be able to compete with a billion high IQ Chinese? It's doubtful. We can either sit back and fret over ethics or try to keep up.
I don't eat anything GMO. I avoid corn, soybeans, and farm-raised salmon. There's a reason why so many GMO products in the US are banned in Europe

Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
you must grow you own food

Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
If I want human breast milk, I'm going directly to the original source.
lol! If you can find a woman to let you suckle, then congratulations on that feat.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
you must grow you own food
What are you implying?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
The Chinese are playing God. Sooner or later, messing with genetics will create devastating consequences. Just wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies