Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 PM

22,733 posts, read 24,852,292 times

Advertisements

Moral hazard..........they will look for this same type of "help" again when needed. Hey, more reason to take stupid risks..........Big Brother will bail you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:30 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,394,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well it's not working out too well for the investment banks, who were the largest recipients of TARP money. They do not lend to borrowers like traditional banks. Banks are no longer allowed to trade their own positions. So your source is a heaping pile of misinformation.

By the way, AIG is not a bank, and Fannie and Freddie quasi governmental agencies.
You know how it went, the tax payer bailed out AIG and the money went to Goldman Sachs,Merril Lynch and others. And what role does Fannie/Freddie play :
Quote:
Banks can be assured that Fannie and Freddie have funds to purchase conforming loans, so they can increase such lending. This improves liquidity in the mortgage market, lowering interest rates.
In 2006, Fannie and Freddie insured 24 percent of all subprime loans so they needed to keep these loans viable.[48]
Lower borrowing costs for banks typically increase the "spread" between the rate at which they borrow and which they lend. This increases bank profitability, shoring up bank liquidity and balance sheets further.
Federal takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there is some kind of connection, right?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,041,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Thanks for the reference. I read a new book on history, politics, and social issues every couple weeks. I try to keep informed on all points of view. Did you read this week's Economist? Center-right corporate-friendly weekly from England? The editors have some very harsh words for the GOP this week. Basically, they tell them to quit acting like spoiled children.

I'll check out Ritzholtz, soon as I get through Madick's "Age of Greed", which charts the nearly complete 50 year campaign by the Corporate Right and the anti-tax radicals to roll back the social and economic gains made by the middle class during the Progressive Era (which I recommend you read! )
Thanks, just ordered "Age of Greed". Looks like another good book. It's amazing how many good books have come out the past few years about the nightmare we are in right now. I am a very optimistic person but I truly don't see many positive things as far as the worlds economic picture is concerned. So many countries in deep deep debt all at one time. Don't think it will play out to well in the future and do believe it will start in the EU as far as defaults. Hope i am wrong.

That is why I get so disgusted when I am on sites like this and watch people fighting back and forth about the Republicans this and Democrats that. They are both one in the same and don't have the American peoples best interest in mind. People may like Obama as a person and there is nothing wrong with that but when it comes to his politics he is the same as the last man we had. The banks and corporations own him. I hope America wakes up but I rather doubt it.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,836,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
You know how it went, the tax payer bailed out AIG and the money went to Goldman Sachs,Merril Lynch and others. And what role does Fannie/Freddie play :

Federal takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there is some kind of connection, right?
Of course there is a connection Fannie and Freddie (government agencies) promoted liar loans, no doc loans, etc. In a misguided attempt to promote home ownership which really pumped up the bubble.

AIG insured those loans. If there was no insurance there would have been no mortgages. If AIG went belly up, no bank would write any mortgages to any but the most qualified buyers. The government had to cover for it's own stupidity.

There is another thread on this forum which proves the government doesn't learn real fast. They are intimidating banks into lowering standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies