Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,980,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm obviously not, because I have very little reach to the public. You're declaring white people that pretty much no one pays attention to to be the spokesmen for white people. You might as well declare all white people as such.
For future reference, the definition of a spokesman:

spokes·man (spksmn)
n.
A man who speaks on behalf of another or others. See Usage Note at man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Probably spoke, past participle of speak + man.]
spokesman - definition of spokesman by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

spokes·per·son
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. spokesperson - an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose; "the meeting was attended by spokespersons for all the major organs of government"
representative, interpreter, voice
advocate, advocator, exponent, proponent - a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
ambassador - an informal representative; "an ambassador of good will"
flack, flack catcher, flak, flak catcher - a slick spokesperson who can turn any criticism to the advantage of their employer
mouthpiece, mouth - a spokesperson (as a lawyer)
spokesman - a male spokesperson
spokeswoman - a female spokesperson
bagman, commercial traveler, commercial traveller, roadman, traveling salesman, travelling salesman - a salesman who travels to call on customers

So exactly where does the given "Definition" of spokesman state that you need X number of supporters, media access, or any other means of reching X number of people, obviously it dosen't.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,887,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
For future reference, the definition of a spokesman:

spokes·man (spksmn)
n.
A man who speaks on behalf of another or others. See Usage Note at man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Probably spoke, past participle of speak + man.]
spokesman - definition of spokesman by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

spokes·per·son
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. spokesperson - an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose; "the meeting was attended by spokespersons for all the major organs of government"
representative, interpreter, voice
advocate, advocator, exponent, proponent - a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
ambassador - an informal representative; "an ambassador of good will"
flack, flack catcher, flak, flak catcher - a slick spokesperson who can turn any criticism to the advantage of their employer
mouthpiece, mouth - a spokesperson (as a lawyer)
spokesman - a male spokesperson
spokeswoman - a female spokesperson
bagman, commercial traveler, commercial traveller, roadman, traveling salesman, travelling salesman - a salesman who travels to call on customers

So exactly where does the given "Definition" of spokesman state that you need X number of supporters, media access, or any other means of reching X number of people, obviously it dosen't.
Okay. So every white person is a spokesperson for white people? I will also assume that the new black panthers speak for black people. Cool.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Okay. So every white person is a spokesperson for white people? I will also assume that the new black panthers speak for black people. Cool.
For a certain segment of black people they do, so again what's your point??

Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 PM

reconmark, you know damn well that when someone says spokesperson in this context, they're not referring to the literal definition. They are referring to reputable individuals.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,335,539 times
Quote:
reconmark, you know damn well that when someone says spokesperson in this context, they're not referring to the literal definition. They are referring to reputable individuals.
I guess it depends on your version of reputable.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
For a segment. They don't have 1% of the reach that guys like Sharpton do. If you want to get technical with me, fine, but I'm pretty sure you could grasp my point if you'd give up your desire to "win" this argument.

The white spokespeople you presented earlier are much less relevant than Sharpton, Jackson, etc.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I guess it depends on your version of reputable.
Everyone is reputable to a certain extent. I'm "reputable" to a certain extent. But to imply that David Duke is as reputable as Al Sharpton is insane and intellectually dishonest.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I also notice that you didn't make the "segment" distinction when you mentioned David Duke.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So you want to change the official, accepted definition in order to try to say that Al and Jessie are the official voice of black people.

Again, why are these the only names some white people want to throw out as mouth pieces for the entire black culture??

Why are they even mentioned in the context of this post.

I made the statement earlier and say it again, it was only a matter of time before some white person got on the board and insinuated that black people in general would lend support, excuses, or otherwise try to mitigate and/or protect these criminals simply because they were black.

We don't need Jessie to tell us some hoodlums need to be put in jail, why do you??

Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I also notice that you didn't make the "segment" distinction when you mentioned David Duke.
Because David Duke plainly and loudly says he speaks for ALL white people.

As if you didn't know that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies