Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "what about the Democrats" a valid argument in a debate
1. Yes 1 11.11%
2. No 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,324,778 times

Advertisements

I notice in many threads and posts the only response many conservatives have is to bring up an example of a Democrat. It seems like that's the only argument many conservatives on this board have, regardless of the subject.

I guess it's a good way to derail, hijack, and deflect a thread, but it doesn't really disprove a point.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,142,636 times
Huh?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,855,075 times
No. It's always a typical right wing "dodge, twist, and blame" tactic.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:59 AM

5,418 posts, read 9,228,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I notice in many threads and posts the only response many conservatives have is to bring up an example of a Democrat. It seems like that's the only argument many conservatives on this board have, regardless of the subject.

I guess it's a good way to derail, hijack, and deflect a thread, but it doesn't really disprove a point.

Thoughts?
I notice that in many threads and posts the only response many Dems/liberals have is to bring up an example of a Republican. It seems like that's the only argument many liberals on this board have, regardless of the subject.

I guess it's a good way to derail, hijack, and deflect a thread, but it doesn't disprove a point.

What are your thoughts on THAT?

It goes both ways--I see many offenders of both ideologies doing this. For those of us who have our own opinions instead of whatever party tells us to think which way, it gets annoying- I hardly feel like giving any decent, thoughtful input to a thread when all it is is "silly liberals" or "silly Repugs" or whatever. It's frustrating.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,186,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I notice that in many threads and posts the only response many Dems/liberals have is to bring up an example of a Republican. It seems like that's the only argument many liberals on this board have, regardless of the subject.

I guess it's a good way to derail, hijack, and deflect a thread, but it doesn't disprove a point.

What are your thoughts on THAT?

It goes both ways--I see many offenders of both ideologies doing this. For those of us who have our own opinions instead of whatever party tells us to think which way, it gets annoying- I hardly feel like giving any decent, thoughtful input to a thread when all it is is "silly liberals" or "silly Repugs" or whatever. It's frustrating.
Within five minutes of Obama's inauguration, the RW jumped anyone's case who made any comparison with Bush. Over and over and over again.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,384,390 times
Quote:
Good post

Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,728,765 times
In a true debate, no, it is not an acceptable argument. However, it is done all over this forum because, frankly, no one here really knows how to debate a point without getting extremely personal about it.

The problem is there is a huge amount of hypocrisy going on here, on both sides, so when you get a republican (just for an example) high and mighty on a pedestal regarding Obama's golf habits it can be very hard not to point out the habits of previous presidents. I only use this as an example as it is done in the other direction also.

I think if people stopped posting hypocritical rants and true debate topics, you might see less of that.

One post caught my attention last week. A "liberal" had posted a topic about a "Republican" state senator and driving drunk and then made it all about "only from the GOP." Well the thread was wrong on so many levels but, why did it have to be partisan in the first place? Couldn't it just have been about a politician driving drunk and we could have discussed the shamefulness of that? Nope, not on C-D!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,324,778 times
Quote:
So "the Democrats do it also"

Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,945,468 times
No, it is not a valid tactic, but I think you already know this. It isn't a valid tactic when used by anyone.

What happens on this forum rarely resembles "debate". There are a few posters who are capable of having a normal discussion, and then there are dozens of people who will deflect everything which offends their sensibilities by posting off-topic rants, discrediting the source, or strawmanning their opponents. Too many people here are so emotionally invested in a particular political party that they are unable to think rationally or factually back up their assertions.

For instance, see all of the people who constantly post that [opposing ideology] is a mental disorder," or that "[people of the opposing ideology] always do [bad thing]", even as people who they agree with do the exact same thing, often in the same thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies