Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support converting welfare, food stamps and unemployment checks to a direct jobs program?
Yes 22 81.48%
No 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Hello Stan,

I think my idea is more geared towards those who still want a safety net.

If one is completely against a safety net, that's fine, but it doesn't really leave any room to debate this type of policy.

Like I said, if you want to get paid, then you have to put in your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
While I think there are many who would benefit from this, and welcome the opportunity, there is still the problem of what to do with the children of the recipients and the fact that many wouldn't even have the skill or intelligence to perform said work. Not on my body or my car anyway.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While I think there are many who would benefit from this, and welcome the opportunity, there is still the problem of what to do with the children of the recipients and the fact that many wouldn't even have the skill or intelligence to perform said work. Not on my body or my car anyway.
The right does not care about such unimportant details, never have.
Casper

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

But this is why this program could be of great benefit, because it could give people the skills necessary, and therefore become a contributor to society instead of living off of it.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
How is this any different than the argument against prisoners doing work...they undercut private sector prices.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
I am not against the idea in theory; however, daycare and transportation would have be issues. Solve those two problems and then I am on board.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
In another thread, I posted the idea of eliminating existing unemployment AND welfare programs (cash, food and public housing) to a direct jobs program using existing funding. Here's how it works:

1. The goal is to give a temporary job in the public/healthcare/nonprofit sector to anyone who wants one.
2. While in the program, employees can train for a permanent career within in-demand fields like nursing, etc.
3. Certain hours off to interview for permanent positions.
4. Child care assistance for non-school age children, but the employee would pay a portion to help prevent abuse.
5. Program would cost $152 billion/yr to give the 7.6 million families in poverty a $20,000 per year job. (We currently spend $456 billion/yr on all combined welfare programs)
6. There would no longer be food stamps or public housing for anyone who isn't disabled or elderly. People could buy their own food and housing with their salary.

Since people must work to receive assistance, and have programs to help them permanently, this seems to cover liberals concerns about helping the poor, and conservatives concerns about giving handouts. Plus, it uses funds already spent in the existing welfare system and will actually cost much less.

For the libertarians out there, we can do this on the state level if you're worried about the feds controlling jobs nationally.

Do you agree with this type of system? Why or why not?

My original post from the other thread is below:
I think the main problem with this is that not all unemployed workers are alike. Some comments here assume that 1) being unemployed means that you don't have currently have skills to compete in the workforce, and 2) that being unemployed means you have messed up somehow. Neither of those are necessarily true; it's just that the employer who the person was working for no longer needs those skills. I think sometimes people forget that the "unemployed" aren't just the "other" people who struggled to get a GED - they are also teachers, police officers, engineers, businesspeople, and yes - sometimes even health care workers.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
But this is why this program could be of great benefit, because it could give people the skills necessary, and therefore become a contributor to society instead of living off of it.
Maybe...or maybe some are just hopeless.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Bring back the CCC.

It was good enough for Grandpa, it's good enough for me.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Maybe...or maybe some are just hopeless.

This is true. We can't save everybody, but I'd rather do something that just may actually help people, and not just enable them like the current system does, and make us stronger as a society and a nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies