Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times

Advertisements

Nice way to do business with both your customers and your employees (in California):

A friend of mine was just at Marie Callender’s and mid lunch. the restaurant shut down. Didn’t even let them finish eating or pay. Apparently they got a fax from HQ that said they had to close immediately.

UPDATE: Just got an email from a former waitress. She tells us the restaurant didn’t give them any warning at all, and they were shocked when they learned they no longer had a job. She says there are now signs on the doors announcing the closure.

According to the anonymous waitress, other locations that closed are in Napa, Capitola, Elk Grove, San Ramon, Daly City, Salinas, Simi Valley, Los Angeles, Merced & Hayward.

CLOSED FOREVER: Marie Callender’s in Concord & Walnut Creek

And, in Arizona, the same thing:

Marie Callender's closes all Arizona locations

I won't be patronizing them again if they successfully come out of their planned Chapter 11, no matter HOW good their pies are.

How could a business be this cruel and engender this much ill will in these harsh economic times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Wow..is this the way business is run today.

Here today, gone tomorrow doesn't even apply.
Here today..gone today.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Huh, not very nice. The one MC in Tucson (around the corner from me, at the Tucson Mall) is closed, too. We ate there once; were not impressed, and never went back.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Nice way to do business with both your customers and your employees (in California):

A friend of mine was just at Marie Callender’s and mid lunch. the restaurant shut down. Didn’t even let them finish eating or pay. Apparently they got a fax from HQ that said they had to close immediately.

UPDATE: Just got an email from a former waitress. She tells us the restaurant didn’t give them any warning at all, and they were shocked when they learned they no longer had a job. She says there are now signs on the doors announcing the closure.

According to the anonymous waitress, other locations that closed are in Napa, Capitola, Elk Grove, San Ramon, Daly City, Salinas, Simi Valley, Los Angeles, Merced & Hayward.

I won't be patronizing them again if they successfully come out of their planned Chapter 11, no matter HOW good their pies are.

How could a business be this cruel and engender this much ill will in these harsh economic times?
That's how it is in the restaurant business although some states have laws that if you layoff more than a certain number of people warning has to be given.

Restaurants fear giving notice because their staff will quit before they close for good. During freshman year in undergrad I stayed at school during break to work at a restauarant. There were rumors they were in trouble but when confronted the owners they denied it. Then about two days before Xmas I report to my shift and see the doors locked.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Most restaurants don't tell their employees they are closing,the employers just show up one day and the doors are locked.

As to the customers,well that might have been confusion on the parts of the managers....or just poor form.

This is one of the reasons I do not consider it necessary to give notice if quitting,they certainly do not care to give notice when letting you go.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Damn, missed out on some cheap pies...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
The cheapest pies are the ones you bake yourself, and better for you

Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

How crazy is that?

I wonder if other chain restaurants have an abort procedure. Will the conveyor belt at Burger King stop immediately leaving whoppers stranded in the middle?

Will sandwich artists at subway leave their creations half completed?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
The cheapest pies are the ones you bake yourself, and better for you
Cheaper yes, better...not necessarily.

Behold the Cherpumple

Bottom: Pumpkin pie inside a spice cake
Middle: Apple pie inside a yellow cake
Top: Cherry pie inside a white cake, all surrounded by cream cheese frosting

Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Better for you,no chemicals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies