Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times

Advertisements

This is an article about eating animals.
Bruce Friedrich: Resolved: Eating Animals Is Indefensible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
If you would not personally slice a chicken's beak off, or castrate a pig without pain relief or slice open an animal's throat, why pay someone else to do it for you? Where is the basic integrity in entering into this mercenary relationship? [. . .] Eating meat involves paying people to do things for us that most of us would not do ourselves.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
if it's slow enough or dumb enough... it's dinner.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I would debate him on one simple argument.

With no natural predators for massive numbers of deer, hogs, and other wild animals, how soon before our crops were overrun by waves of hungry animals, cars hitting them and people dying, and then disease could break out that could then effect us in horrid ways.

I hunt, and I eat what I hunt. Truth be told, I'd probably still hunt even if there were natural predators for these animals, but they are mostly dead. No one wants bears, wolves, mountain lions, and coyotes running in their back yard.

Since most of the natural predators are there, the killing, and therefore eating of animals is a must to sustain the proper population size.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Raising and slaughtering animals for food (in a humane fashion) is a more ethically defensible than clear-cutting forest or destroying prairie to mono-crop soybeans which destroys the entire ecosystem and makes sure the animals never come back.

Animals have a part in a diverse ecosystem. Most food crops do not.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
He argues that meat wastes and pollutes.

Except in the case of feedlots, it really doesn't hold water anyway. The only native prairie left in my part of the world is stewarded (quite well in most cases) by ranchers. Most of the cattle operations work closely with orgs like Ducks Unlimited (wetland conservation), Cows and Fish (water quality and riparian health), the Nature Conservancy of Canada and others.

As well, the prairie here needs to be grazed by large ruminants in order to maintain a healthy state. With the demise of the bison in most areas, this has been left to cattle.

I also eat a lot of wild meat, and in that instance his argument falls laughably flat.
---------------------------

He also argues that eating meat drives up the price of grain. Again, this is an appropriate argument for feedlot cattle operations, and hog and chicken operations. However, it again falls flat when free range cattle or wild meat are considered.

As most non feedlot operations here rely on native range from spring through fall, and on hay crops in the winter (generally more native range that was cut rather than grazed), there is very little, if any grain used. And, since most rangeland exists on soils that are, at best, marginal, there isn't really an opportunity to utilize them for cropland.

As for wild meat - it actually drives down the price of grain. Geese in particular are notorious for feeding on farmer's crops. By removing some of the geese, the farmer is able to get better yields. Better yields all around means more grain, which means lower prices.

-----------------------------

As for his cruelty argument, it again falls relatively flat when put against free range or wild animals.

It's also funny that he should use pigs in his argument. It's quite evident that he's never spent much time around pigs before. If he had, he'd know that, apart from being highly intelligent and somewhat charming animals, they're also vicious and omnivorous to the point of ridiculousness. If you enter a pen full of pigs, they will attempt to push you over and eat you. They will eat anything you drop on the ground (even tools), they will eat each others tails. And if an animal becomes sick or weak, they will devour it (alive, no less). Pigs have no ethical dilemmas when eating. If they can get it in their mouths, then it will be eaten.

So, he argue Dawkin's point of not raising ourselves above the level of our cousins, while simultaneously demanding that we do just that.

---------------------

And finally, he comes to the point. Vegetarianism and veganism is an ethical or moral choice. And that's fine, so long as that's all it is. Frankly, it's not all that different from kosher or halal diets, when put in perspective.

----------------------

So, to add it all up. I'm glad I eat meat because I get to support the conservation of native prairie, wetlands and other habitats (and the wildlife they support), rather than see them turned to cropland. It gives me a chance to help local farmers bring in greater yields by removing pest animals.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
I'll wager the yutz who wrote this article is uncritically pro-choice.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
What about the corn used to produce ethanol to replace gasoline, which is not in short supply; and only possible with tax subsidies. PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Vegetarian = Bad Hunter!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Mmmmm..bacon..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies