Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,053,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
A woman, with no man interested in the child, at 9 months can decide to place her child up for adoption

Therefore, the child is still taken care of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
That would be best.
Obviously, neither one of you has a clue about how many children do not get adopted, ever.
Have fun spewing your delusions, I am gonna go watch a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,822,425 times
Quote:
A woman, with no man interested in the child, at 9 months can decide to place her child up for adoption

Nope. Children who can't get adopted will still become the state's problem.

They are not going for it.

Plus, you are advocating that a woman who WANTS to raise her own child could have the child forceably taken away if the man says no.

Try selling that in America. Ain't gonna happen. And once again, your solution has nothing to do with what is in the best interest of the child. What the law will always do is look at the situation from the vantage point of the child, who is seen as defenseless. Being raised by a fit biological parent who wants them is always going to win. The law will not protect you over the child.

Last edited by Tinawina; 02-19-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Obviously, neither one of you has a clue about how many children do not get adopted, ever.
Have fun spewing your delusions, I am gonna go watch a movie.
There aren't foster homes?

There is not a child in the United States that, if given to the state, is not take care of.

Look, I don't like abortion, or the thought that a man would walk away from a child he doesn't want. But its an equal rights issue. If the woman can walk away from it, then the man should be able to do so also. And asking him to pay for 18 or more years of child support without his consent, is no less heinous then asking a woman to carry a child to term that she does not want.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Nope. Children who can't get adopted will still become the state's problem.

They are not going for it.

Plus, you are advocating that a woman who WANTS to raise her own child could have the child forceably taken away if the man says no.

Try selling that in America. Ain't gonna happen. And once again, your solution has nothing to do with what is in the best interest of the child. What the law will always do is look at the situation from the vantage point of the child, who is seen as defenseless. Being raised by a biological parent who wants them is always going to win. The law will not protect you over the child.
No, thats not what I'm saying at all.

If a woman wants the child, she should know up front if the man wants the child or not. If he doesn't, and he isn't going to be forced to supply her with child support, then she has decisions to make on her own. Thats just life, we all have to make sucky decisions that we all don't like every day of our lives, some bigger then others.

As I said, if the mother doesn't want the child, she can abort it. If she wants it, but can't support it without a mans support, then she has the option of giving the child to the state. The child is still taken care of, so this whole "its for the baby" thing is a false argument.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,399,449 times
Quote:
There aren't foster homes?

There is not a child in the United States that, if given to the state, is not take care of.

Look, I don't like abortion, or the thought that a man would walk away from a child he doesn't want. But its an equal rights issue. If the woman can walk away from it, then the man should be able to do so also. And asking him to pay for 18 or more years of child support without his consent, is no less heinous then asking a woman to carry a child to term that she does not want.
Well said. If a woman can just up and decide after conceiving a child "I don't want to be a mom" and have an abortion whenever she wants (regardless of what the father wants), a man should be able to opt out of parenthood as well. Neither is ideal. But at least it would be fair.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,822,425 times
Quote:
No, thats not what I'm saying at all.

If a woman wants the child, she should know up front if the man wants the child or not. If he doesn't, and he isn't going to be forced to supply her with child support, then she has decisions to make on her own. Thats just life, we all have to make sucky decisions that we all don't like every day of our lives, some bigger then others.

As I said, if the mother doesn't want the child, she can abort it. If she wants it, but can't support it without a mans support, then she has the option of giving the child to the state. The child is still taken care of, so this whole "its for the baby" thing is a false argument.
It's not a false argument.

You are arguing that this is an equal rights issue. You keep looking at it from a framework of what is "best" or "fair" for the man vs the woman.

What I am telling you is that the state is not giving a F. All they see is a baby that didn't ask to be born and needs to be taken care of. They are not interested in the way you are seeing it. They are looking at it from the baby's point of view, and from society's.

Society doesn't want to have to pay, directly or indirectly, for babies when it is possible for the people who made the baby to take care of it. Period. In the law's view, your "rights" don't trump the baby's rights. You don't get to live a comfortable life while possibly having a kid who is starving or otherwise living a lesser existence. They don't care about you once the baby is born. They care about the baby.

It sucks but it's true, and all the whining in the world won't change it.

You are caught up in the man vs woman POV. Take this statement:

Quote:
If he doesn't, and he isn't going to be forced to supply her with child support, then she has decisions to make on her own.
The child support is for THE BABY, not her. And that is the crux of the issue. I suggest you take this statement...
Quote:
Thats just life, we all have to make sucky decisions that we all don't like every day of our lives, some bigger then others.
...a little more to heart. LOL

Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,779,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Men have a say in having sex, using protection, and deciding to be with a woman who wants to get pregnant or not.
Oh, I get it. Women don't have any say in having sex, using protection, or deciding who to be with. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Obviously you people are missing the point, so why don't I explain:

I am not trying to control what a female does.

The thought of parenthood devastates me so I'm thinking from this point of view:

If a female wants to get an abortion, she should. I support abortion. I can see why someone wouldn't want a baby.

But if the male doesn't want to pay, why should he?

Why can a female have all the sex she wants and get off scot free, but the male takes a risk every time he has sex?

If a female wants a baby, she can go ahead and have the baby. But the male shouldn't need to pay. The female can make the choice of whether or not she wants to pay, so the male should be able to make the same choice.
I don't agree with abortion. I see it as murder. But I have understood your point from the onset. And I also feel that fair is fair: What's good for the gander should be good for the goose.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,067,090 times
In actuality, child support money goes to the government, not the child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It's not a false argument.

You are arguing that this is an equal rights issue. You keep looking at it from a framework of what is "best" or "fair" for the man vs the woman.

What I am telling you is that the state is not giving a F. All they see is a baby that didn't ask to be born and needs to be taken care of. They are not interested in the way you are seeing it. They are looking at it from the baby's point of view, and from society's.

Society doesn't want to have to pay, directly or indirectly, for babies when it is possible for the people who made the baby to take care of it. Period. In the law's view, your "rights" don't trump the baby's rights. You don't get to live a comfortable life while possibly having a kid who is starving or otherwise living a lesser existence. They don't care about you once the baby is born. They care about the baby.

It sucks but it's true, and all the whining in the world won't change it.

You are caught up in the man vs woman POV. Take this statement:

The child support is for THE BABY, not her. And that is the crux of the issue. I suggest you take this statement...

...a little more to heart. LOL

Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,347,760 times
Quote:

If that's what the woman chooses to do, fine. But the reluctant biological father cannot force her to make that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies