Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,088,968 times

Advertisements

I was one who was all for David Vitter being dumped from the Senate because I thought that lying with a prostitute was unbecoming of a US Senator. Now ppl (incl me) want Weiner to be dumped from the House due to his tweets. But for those who defended Vitter, is there some kind of double standard where a Democrat is forced to resign while a Repub is not?

Or is it because of the sensationalism produced by the constant barrage of pictures splattered all over the news and internet that was lacking in Vitter's case? The same with that other hot Repub rep. But I think that he resigned before resignation was forced on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,465,718 times
Did Vitter stage a series of press conferences for the intent of lying to the public? Maybe that is the difference?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM

38,779 posts, read 26,586,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Did Vitter stage a series of press conferences for the intent of lying to the public? Maybe that is the difference?

Vitter also didn't help facilitate a slanderous smear campaign against the people who exposed him.

For days on end, as the false Breitbart hacking story played out in the Media, Weiner, knowing Breitbart was being falsely accused of a very serious federal crime, did nothing to set the record straight. To be sure, it Weiner could have ended the controversy by allowing Breitbart to be falsely accused, and perhaps even charged, this is what he would have done. That is far worse than any on-line sexual improprieties.

Having said that, Vitter should go as well.

Last edited by momonkey; 06-08-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,088,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Vitter also didn't help facilitate a slanderous smear campaign against the people who exposed him.

For days on end, as the false Breitbart hacking story played out in the Media, Weiner, knowing Breitbart was being falsely accused of a very serious federal crime, did nothing to set the record straight. To be sure, it Weiner could have ended the controversy by allowing Breitbart to be falsely accused, and perhaps even charged, this is what he would have done. That is far worse than any on-line sexual improprieties.

Having said that, Vitter should go as well.
Good points! I think that the crotch shot went very viral in a short and prolonged amount of time. It was something very easy that the public could focus on. I first started suspecting something when he said, "Well that could be me"- hmm. Weiner could have handled this a lot better.

I don;t see why Vitter was spared either.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 PM

33,058 posts, read 19,702,844 times
did he lie about it??like weiner did

did he make false accusations about a congressmans account being 'hacked'???like weiner did

the problem with weiner is not his personal actions or his private matters in and out of his marriage....its the FACT that he is a LIAR, has made FALSE ACCUSATIONS (pertaining to a FEDERAL CRIME(its a federal crime to hack a congressmans account)), and he has ZERO INTERGITY

no body cares if weiner or any other politician has affairs,gay, phone, sexting, call girls, kids fro affairs.....but when you lie to the public, and DISGRACE your spouse and your office..that is the problem

it was the same with clinton...many would have respected him more if he just said..."hey, the old hag doesnt give me any, so I go get some young tang"...but no he had to lie, and make a mockery of his office

it was the same with elloit spitzer the former governopr of new york...he's stealing form the state , using state funds to buy his 'callgirl' meanwhile had been ,prior to becoming governor, the states DA , ging after big organized crime bosses..then he does a dumb thing that could very easily cause him to be blackmailed...but then when caught..he lies about it

at least with foley, and lee they resigned quickly....the real question with foley, is why did the now mayor of chicago( Rahm Emanuel ) hold onto the info for a year, before they let the info out...why did he ENDANGER those young pages

why cant liberals figure out.""".the truth shall set you free"""

Last edited by workingclasshero; 06-08-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 AM

9,180 posts, read 5,864,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Yeah, he didn't lie about it and it was also not a "fresh" scandal.
His prostitution fling ended in 2001 and the scandal broke in 2007.
If he was caught "in the act," he probably would have had to resign.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 AM

26,210 posts, read 19,648,278 times
I don't think a party so corrupted with sex scandals like Republicans should EVER even suggest how Democrats treat their own who go astray.

The GOP acting sanctimonious about this is comical, but they know their base is too clueless to know their track record because it's not mentioned on FOX.

I'm hoping someone in the GOP is not afraid to answer this question, unlike the guy on Greta Van Sustern who refused to answer this question. Preibus, Priebus, however you spell his name, waved off the question. Said he didnt want to "re litigate" the case.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 AM

22,278 posts, read 19,620,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yeah, he didn't lie about it and it was also not a "fresh" scandal.
His prostitution fling ended in 2001 and the scandal broke in 2007.
If he was caught "in the act," he probably would have had to resign.
It was actually 04 I believe and he did lie about it. He admitted to the basic details, but lied about the stuff with the N.O Prostitute, the diaper thing and all of that. The woman making the claim about what went on between her and Vitter took and passed a lie detector test on the whole thing as well

Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,940,783 times
Democrats are much less hypocritical and the Republicans feel their guys never make mistakes.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 AM

23,832 posts, read 17,498,655 times
The bar has been lowered significantly in an affirmative action sort of way to accomodate the low moral standards and poor judgement politics selects for.

The Charlie Wrangell situation has set the bar for the high tolerance electorate created from corkscrew designed voting districts that will re-elect people like Marion Barry, Ted Kennedy, Byrrd and even overlook Hillary's 'sniper fire' story. A hero is a hero forever in thes districts.

Afraid moral standards only use today is as a political weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies