Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:36 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I was one of the few kids who loved Boston Baked beans candy.

Boston Baked Beans - Candy you ate as a kid®

Oh, woah sorry. Racism thread. Gotcha.

I didn't know black people called up to rent apartments and usually state, "Hi, I want to rent an apartment and I am Black." I gotta start trying that. "Hi, I wanna rent and apartment and I am White."
No, it just doesn't sound like anything a sane person would do. Nevermind.
It saves you a trip and the humiliation when you show up and the landlord suddenly doesn't have a place available anymore..............

Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't know how to quantify what city is the most racist, but there are reasons to believe that racism is prevalent in Boston.

For instance, there was never any "curse of the Bambino". The best explanation for the long World Series drought is the fact that Boston was the last major league team to sign any black players.

In addition, Boston, and South Boston in particular, was a hotbed of racist opposition to school segregation in the 1970's, and I suspect some of that continues to exist.

From my limited exposure (less than you would think for someone who only lives a few hours away) Boston is a small city with pretensions to big city values and advanages. Among other things it seems to be dominated by its white ethinc groups, including WASP's, Irish, and Italians. This insularity may make it harder for outsiders who aren't members to break in.
I really love the iconic photo of a black man getting stabbed in the abdomen by an American flag. How quintessentially American and patriotic that was.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It's hard to quantify a concept as arbitrary or subjective as racism, but if there is ever a list ranking the most racist cities in America, then Boston, Massachusetts must either be at the top or somewhere near the top. This is surprising since Boston is considered to be a liberal town in one of the bluest states in America. This doesn't seem to mitigate the fact that it is widely viewed as racist by many of its inhabitants and people who have visited there.

Now I'm not one of those people who go around crying racism at the drop of a hat. I have to see real evidence before I start making this type of allegation. I hate when people in my community (the black community) misuse the word to cover up a bad action on their part such as crying racism when a white cop pulls them over for driving too fast or something of the sort. For me racism is when a member of a particular ethnic group displays signs of prejudice or hate against someone of another ethnic group for no apparent reason than the person's ethnicity. Let me also note that racism can also be displayed by people in the same ethnic group towards one another.

Now back to the original topic. So I live in New York City and I got this great job opportunity in Boston. My employer wasn't hiring people for their New York location at the time so I decided to take up their offer in Boston. I didn't think much of it at the time, I said ugh, another liberal northeastern city it should be similar to living in New York. I quickly realized that wasn't gonna be the case before I even moved there. My first indication was when I placed a craigslist ad for an apartment to rent and I received tons of responses but when I responded to their offers and mentioned that I was black not one of them answered back. I didn't place too much weight on it initially since I've heard things like that happening in cities all across America even in New York. However when I started working in Boston was when I saw the real signs of racism.

My line of work is customer service and I have deal with many people in an average day. I have never seen a more racist set of people than the customers who I have to deal with in Boston. The racism they display is subtle but very strong nonetheless and it cuts me as deeply as any form of overt red-neck racism would. There is an inherent attitude of superiority and the "I'm better than you" elitist complex among whites towards blacks in Boston. I have to deal with people not only from Boston but also from the rest of Massachusetts state and surrounding areas in New England. I must say the culture of covert racism seems to run deep among people from all of these areas.

On several occasions, I've had white customers flatly refuse for me to serve them. Often times I am working next to a white co-worker. I notice that when my white co-worker is busy and I am available, some customers would hesitate in line as if I don't exist and wait for my white co-worker to become available to serve them. This happens on an almost daily basis and each time it happens it crushes my self-esteem.

I see this type of subtle racism in all age demographics from young to middle aged to old. There are times when it is so bad that I feel like quitting my job but the economy is not so good right now; if I do that I'll have nothing to fall back on. My best hope for now is to get a transfer to my employer's New York location but that's gonna take a couple months before they allow me to do that. Until then I'll have to endure a lot of subtle racism from the customers on the job.

My experience is in no way isolated. I've heard many people in the African American community complain of the widespread racism in Boston. I know that racism exists in other cities across America - especially ones that are heavily segregated. Perhaps you can share some information on the nature of race relations in your town. I live in New York which is somewhat segregated as people tend to stay among their own but it is hardly racist by any standards. One important thing I've learned is that racism tends to exist in two forms in America as in overt a.k.a. southern style red-neck racism where they call you the N word and tell you to your face that they hate you for who you are and then there is covert a.k.a northern style elitist racism where they won't say it in public but their body language and attitudes reveal it all (hint Boston).

p.s. Besides the widespread covert racism Boston also sucks in general as a town. Everywhere closes down before midnight. The downtown area is absolutely vacant on Sundays. Boston also constantly tries to compete and compare itself to New York City which is supremely better than it in almost everything.

Ha..your kidding right? I live in Boston and moved from Memphis last yr. Boston is wonderful comapred to Memphis. A few rude people and tree hugger types, but not racist for sure. I would consider Boston proper, and observent of traditions. I don't have trouble on Sundays finding things to do. I do wish Boston was more Business like NY, but that would take away some of its charm. Just gott ignore people, thats what I do...

Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As I found out when I lived in Boston: There are only three regions in America. Down South, Up South and Out South.
Quote:
I really love the iconic photo of a black man getting stabbed in the abdomen by an American flag. How quintessentially American and patriotic that was.
Do you even care about America? What is America anyway? Why would you possibly care about it? Because its home? Anything else?

I think you are intelligent enough to understand the vast problems in America, I think you are smart enough to realize that these problems aren't going away anytime soon. I believe that overt racism is actually on an upswing in America, it is definitely not going away in any of our lifetimes, and it might possibly get worse. So what is it that you want exactly? What is an actual feasible solution to this problem?

Supposedly anti-white bias is the largest racial problem in America(according to some recent polls). It has sharply gotten worse in the last 15 years or so, and looks to be getting worse at an ever-increasing clip. What is the solution?

Why do you care about America? What do you actually want America to be? What can America actually realistically be?

I understand what you want, but your vision of the world would take hundreds of years to realize, and would cause the destruction of basically all race, religion, and culture. I could fix the world in 5-years tops, while leaving things largely as they are now, though most people wouldn't like my solution in the short-term, it would have the best results in the long-term.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
It's hard to quantify a concept as arbitrary or subjective as racism, but if there is ever a list ranking the most racist cities in America, then Boston, Massachusetts must either be at the top or somewhere near the top. This is surprising since Boston is considered to be a liberal town in one of the bluest states in America. This doesn't seem to mitigate the fact that it is widely viewed as racist by many of its inhabitants and people who have visited there.

Now I'm not one of those people who go around crying racism at the drop of a hat. I have to see real evidence before I start making this type of allegation. I hate when people in my community (the black community) misuse the word to cover up a bad action on their part such as crying racism when a white cop pulls them over for driving too fast or something of the sort. For me racism is when a member of a particular ethnic group displays signs of prejudice or hate against someone of another ethnic group for no apparent reason than the person's ethnicity. Let me also note that racism can also be displayed by people in the same ethnic group towards one another.

Now back to the original topic. So I live in New York City and I got this great job opportunity in Boston. My employer wasn't hiring people for their New York location at the time so I decided to take up their offer in Boston. I didn't think much of it at the time, I said ugh, another liberal northeastern city it should be similar to living in New York. I quickly realized that wasn't gonna be the case before I even moved there. My first indication was when I placed a craigslist ad for an apartment to rent and I received tons of responses but when I responded to their offers and mentioned that I was black not one of them answered back. I didn't place too much weight on it initially since I've heard things like that happening in cities all across America even in New York. However when I started working in Boston was when I saw the real signs of racism.

My line of work is customer service and I have deal with many people in an average day. I have never seen a more racist set of people than the customers who I have to deal with in Boston. The racism they display is subtle but very strong nonetheless and it cuts me as deeply as any form of overt red-neck racism would. There is an inherent attitude of superiority and the "I'm better than you" elitist complex among whites towards blacks in Boston. I have to deal with people not only from Boston but also from the rest of Massachusetts state and surrounding areas in New England. I must say the culture of covert racism seems to run deep among people from all of these areas.

On several occasions, I've had white customers flatly refuse for me to serve them. Often times I am working next to a white co-worker. I notice that when my white co-worker is busy and I am available, some customers would hesitate in line as if I don't exist and wait for my white co-worker to become available to serve them. This happens on an almost daily basis and each time it happens it crushes my self-esteem.

I see this type of subtle racism in all age demographics from young to middle aged to old. There are times when it is so bad that I feel like quitting my job but the economy is not so good right now; if I do that I'll have nothing to fall back on. My best hope for now is to get a transfer to my employer's New York location but that's gonna take a couple months before they allow me to do that. Until then I'll have to endure a lot of subtle racism from the customers on the job.

My experience is in no way isolated. I've heard many people in the African American community complain of the widespread racism in Boston. I know that racism exists in other cities across America - especially ones that are heavily segregated. Perhaps you can share some information on the nature of race relations in your town. I live in New York which is somewhat segregated as people tend to stay among their own but it is hardly racist by any standards. One important thing I've learned is that racism tends to exist in two forms in America as in overt a.k.a. southern style red-neck racism where they call you the N word and tell you to your face that they hate you for who you are and then there is covert a.k.a northern style elitist racism where they won't say it in public but their body language and attitudes reveal it all (hint Boston).

p.s. Besides the widespread covert racism Boston also sucks in general as a town. Everywhere closes down before midnight. The downtown area is absolutely vacant on Sundays. Boston also constantly tries to compete and compare itself to New York City which is supremely better than it in almost everything.

As a native New Yorker who has spent some in Boston, I agree totally with you.

Keep in mind that Boston has quite a few ethnic enclaves that have families that have lived there for generations. The social and racial attitudes of a lot of these families hasn't changed a hell of lot.

You also have some of the most elitist people you'd ever want to meet in terms of the Harvard, MIT and blue-blood crowd that if you went back in their history you'd find their families made their initiial fortunes in slave trading, slave ship ownership or the insurance and financialing of the slave trade or slave ship ownership.

When you take all that in combination Boston is one of the cities I like the least in the United States. Throw in the Celtics, Bruins, and Red Sox and it cinches the deal.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,559,136 times
it's because their liberal (only 3 districts in Boston voted for McCain) many liberals are racist (also anti semetic)

Quote:
"Friends of mine, when I was drafted, were saying, 'Uh-oh, you're going Up South to play," Boston Celtics guard Dee Brown says. "That's what they said. 'Up South.' They were joking about it, telling me to watch myself."
Many blacks are concerned that Boston and its teams are - 08.19.91 - SI Vault

Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As a native New Yorker who has spent some in Boston, I agree totally with you.

Keep in mind that Boston has quite a few ethnic enclaves that have families that have lived there for generations. The social and racial attitudes of a lot of these families hasn't changed a hell of lot.

You also have some of the most elitist people you'd ever want to meet in terms of the Harvard, MIT and blue-blood crowd that if you went back in their history you'd find their families made their initiial fortunes in slave trading, slave ship ownership or the insurance and financialing of the slave trade or slave ship ownership.

When you take all that in combination Boston is one of the cities I like the least in the United States. Throw in the Celtics, Bruins, and Red Sox and it cinches the deal.

Isn't this interesting? JTG, who has proven he is a racist by advocating discriminatory and racist treatment of whites, is objecting to perceived racism.

Go figure.....

At least you have no objection about the Patriots though.....

Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,817,653 times
I was born and raised to adulthood in NYC but I lived in Boson for years. I liked the city a lot. But then again, I technically worked in Cambridge and lived in West Medford.

Boston is insular and as has been said, full of white ethnic neighborhoods who are not fond of outsiders. Yes there is a strong highly liberal contingent (not the Berkeley crunchy tree-hugging kind of liberal, but the highly educated New York Times reading lattle drinking "save those sad little poor people" kind of liberal LOL), but that is by no means the only large group of folks there. I can see how the OP could have that experience if they are working a customer service job where it is about the general public coming in the place looking for help.

I have a friend who is a 600lb black sumo wrestler. Travels all over the world. He said Boston was the only place he's ever been where anyone had the nerve to call him N*gger to his face. LOL. And that is all you need to know about race relations in Boston.

Still, it is not so bad. Don't be afraid to move there. Just pick your neighborhood wisely. It is a cool little city if you can carve out your niche.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM

597 posts, read 1,299,189 times
Quote:

I've been to the US many time, but, I visited Boston never.
By what you wrote about Boston and the Bostonians, I do not want even "to fly over" this city.
Here, in the CD forum, I had the "privilege" to discuss with a Bostonian/Italian and I realized so much he is racist and prejudiced. Poor man.
I think all racist person is an unhappy person.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,900 times
Quote:
It saves you a trip and the humiliation when you show up and the landlord suddenly doesn't have a place available anymore..............
Now we're talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.