Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM

4,942 posts, read 3,411,285 times

Advertisements

<shrugs>...

Let's face it, from the way many on the extreme right post their opinions and the views on these boards, people can be forgiven for thinking that alot of conservatives to come across as fairly heartless and Darwinian when to comes to the situation of the unemployed and the poor....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,069,853 times
you people do realize that"unemployment",is unemployment INSURANCE.Any one who runs a business pays an unemployment tax to the government.This is where unemployment money comes from. I figure if that business is so inept that they have to lay off people... they deserve to pay that insurance.......

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM

6,175 posts, read 13,007,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
you people do realize that"unemployment",is unemployment INSURANCE.Any one who runs a business pays an unemployment tax to the government.This is where unemployment money comes from. I figure if that business is so inept that they have to lay off people... they deserve to pay that insurance.......
Until you get to "extended benefits" and "emergency benefits" which apparently can last as long as 99 weeks. The insurance was never intented to pay somone for 2 years. Where's THAT money coming from? hint; it ain't an insurance fund, as those were pretty much exhausted long ago.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,931,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I could not care less if you were unemployed or not. It isn't really any of my business. You don't have a god-given unalienable right to a job, you only have a right seek employment, unfettered by government rules and regulations.

I disagree. A society cannot demand that you pay costs of living and refuse to give you the means to do just that. Do you even hear what you are saying ???

It is the hallmark of a cruel and heartless society when we start demanding the impossible of people.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet, because I had to respond with your extremely cold-hearted statement. You are probably one who has no problem with the impossible numbers of illegals and other cheap immigrant labor that is slipping away like thieves in the night with OUR jobs.

If we want the economy to recover, we need to get rid of the illegals and their anchor babies, plain and simple. Employers who continue to be cheap and hire them need to be hung, drawn and quartered for treason. Then we wouldn't have these numbers on unenjoyment. But TPTB won't do anything about the problem because it doesn't effect THEM in the slightest.

Pitchforks and torches are starting to look mighty appealing.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,931,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I conservative think massive unemployment is required to threaten the employed so they do not ask for better wages, working conditions or benefits. Business love it when thay can replace anyone for any reason.
I totally agree. Anybody with a working brain could see this dynamic at work if they cared to look. problem is, they don't. It's the same-old "I have a job, so me and mine are comfortable, so back goes my head up my ass" syndrome.

You nailed it perfectly. I believe that employers are fully loving this economic situation, not only for the reasons you listed, but also because they get to be even bigger *******s to their employees, stripping their self-dignity, making them fearful of these GREAT jobs *cough/sarcasm/cough* and keeping them even more tightly under their thumbs.

As for UE, mine ended SUDDENLY the minute I graduated from college, even though I still had balance remaining that I had hoped to survive on until I could hopefully get a job, but alas I guess I'm supposed to pull money out of my ******* to live on. A much different situation then someone who stays at home popping out babies, driving escalades, sporting the latest in fashion and cell phones and lives their entire lives on the public tit.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,386,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Lately, many conservatives have been posting about unemployment figures.
Do the conservatives have any empathy for the unemployed? I think not. It's just another stone they can throw at the current administration.
Mostly, conservatives don't give a damn about the unemployed, unless they, themselves, are unemployed.
So, their 'concern' is just a phony front.
Yeah yeah, we already know the liberals claim exclusive rights to compassion and tolerance.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,313,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm a conservative. I know two people that have committed suicide due to long-term unemployment. In both cases, their spouses left them also. I know a third person whose depression was so bad that she is now suffering serious health issue and is in long-term convalescent care. My husband was out of work for two years also. I watched his emotional health take a nosedive. These were all people who previously had worked hard their entire adult lives.

I want to say to the unemployed, "Don't give up. It will get better. Think about the people who love you." It's so difficult to see so many people suffering right now. To the spouses of th unemployed, I want to say, "You are their lifeline. Don't leave them, now is when they need you most."

I think we have different ideas about how to solve our economic problems, but to accuse people of not caring doesn't help anyone.
See, when I read something like this, I think "fair enough" (and my heart goes out to people in such circumstances; I know I battle every day to stay sane in my own unemployment).

But then people will casually make disparaging comments, including some people in this thread who said "they don't want to work."* Which leaves me wondering: do you not see the connection?

*One reason why that sentiment is terribly myopic is that a lot of people, like me, never even qualified for benefits. In my case it was a boss who had CYA down to a science and carefully documented letting me go "with cause." So let's just say that I have not lacked for motivation to get a job! But has that motivation done me any good?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,950,701 times
Quote:
It's just another stone they can throw at the current administration.
More like another stone I can throw at Keynesianism.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,621,338 times
Cool of course there's empathy.....

Quote:
Do the conservatives have any empathy for the unemployed?
Visvaldis, of course there is empathy for the unemployed. ya think in today's economy every single conservative is gainfully employed? this economy's affecting everybody honey. even some people who've held a job for decades with no blips of unemployment are experiencing hard times. for them, unemployment is a new reality, an abberation marring their employment history. i'll call them Group A for this post.... then there's another set of folks, Group B: the chronically unemployed, no matter what the economy looks like. totally different horse there my friend. and then there are those adults who've maybe had one or zero jobs in their entire lives: Group C or Group W (for "welfare"). but that's for another thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,267,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Visvaldis, of course there is empathy for the unemployed. ya think in today's economy every single conservative is gainfully employed? this economy's affecting everybody honey. even some people who've held a job for decades with no blips of unemployment are experiencing hard times. for them, unemployment is a new reality, an abberation marring their employment history. i'll call them Group A for this post.... then there's another set of folks, Group B: the chronically unemployed, no matter what the economy looks like. totally different horse there my friend. and then there are those adults who've maybe had one or zero jobs in their entire lives: Group C or Group W (for "welfare"). but that's for another thread
I don't doubt that some conservatives are unemployed. This I covered in line 3 of the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies