Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,511,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
By the way, I get to vote too, via my representatives and Senators since they will also decide if Arizona is allowed to split in 2 So at the end of the day, yes I do get a vote

Actually it wouldn't, because of your politicians' love affair with illegals, they'll just continue what they are doing, unabated and cross into Phoenix anyway, where most of the jobs are. So, the only solution is that Baja Arizona becomes the 32nd state of Mexico so that way a fence can be built all along the North Arizona and South Arizona border.

But hey we can dream right? Puerto Rico is far more likely to become the 51st state than South Arizona being formed.
I think that the Puerto Rican citizens realize they have a better deal the way it is since they don't have to pay income taxes. I don't think they will ever want to be a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,530,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What would they do without US money coming in? Since the US doesn't enforce border law now they may need the rest of the state to enforce any of that.

Do you really think that 38 states will go along with that secession? It won't happen and the Congress won't be going along with it, either. The citizens of the region have been taking US money since Arizona was admitted to the Union and you want to see them break away? I just don't understand you.

When do you intend to push for amendment of that part of the Constitution? Surely you understand that the part you think is silly is part of the document and can be changed only through amendment. Surely you don't think that just a few people can change all that.
They aren't talking abou seceeding from the Union...they mean seceeding from the rest of Arizona.

Personally, i'm against it. I don't want to leave the most beautiful place in the whole world. I want THEM (the wacko's) to GTFOH and move their asses to another western state where they'd be more comfortable. Like Wyoming, Utah, or Idaho. Places where wackadoodlery is celebrated.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I don't know why fear mongers sit around spewing a bunch of lies every day of the week and pretend that they are right. Lets think about this situation in southern Arizona really quickly by doing this exercise.

Ask yourself, if Pima county became its own state tomorrow(call it Baja Arizona or whatever)... What is the likelihood that it would later want to rejoin Arizona again? What is the likelihood it would want to turn over its sovereignty and self-determination to be ruled again by Phoenix?

ZERO. ZILCH. NADA. NEVER. etc etc

Just ask West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Maine. The same can be said for even actual countries around the world. How many people in say, Slovenia or Croatia are wanting to start back up Yugoslavia and be ruled by Serbia? How many people in Poland or the Ukraine are looking forward to losing their sovereignty to Russia again?

Once secession happens, it is basically forever, people want to be free and have more control over their lives. It is called "self-determination". The best government is local government. I hope the rest of Arizona is unselfish enough to let Pima county leave, because Pima county would be happier separated. But I highly doubt Arizona will let it go. People never want to give up territory they control if they are already in power. The United States should have let the southern states leave 150 years ago, but they wouldn't.
You keep on with that question about separated state and don't seem to know that Colorado, or most of it, was one time a part of Kanas Territory. It was the eastern half of the territory that had to fight the slave people to keep from being a slave state as was called for by the Kansas-Nebraska Act. Today Colorado is much more liberal than Kansas is and it would never have worked under the previous rules.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why is it then that Maricopa County (Phoenix) deported less than half as many illegals as Pima County, with less than half the population. Because unlike Phoenix they use the existing laws rather than sit whinig about needing more laws. Cochise County, where I live in the Baja, actually jailed employers for employing illegals. Maricopa does nothing but whine and pass laws that are meant to provide kickbacks for politicians like SB1070 and the "Fence".
While you are at it go over to your nearest meat packing plant or chicken processing plant and watch change of shift. Then go to YOUR Politicians and ask why so many illegals are employed there. When they have arrested the employer come back and tell me about my illegals
What happens if you libs have to join Mexico when you secede? If the US doesn't allow it I see that having to happen. Have you considered that at all?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Words of WISDOM to be sure.
Couldn't REP you either, I'm sad to say.

Alan Colmes is right - Conservatives always seem to think in "black and white" - if you don't agree with them 100% on their views on immigration then somehow you are an "illegal immigrant lover". They just don't seem to realize that there is MORE than ONE WAY to deal with illegal immigration - and we certainly don't have to choose the MOST INSANE WAY of dealing with it.

Ken
Watching that shift change at the two large meat packing plants in Dodge City, Ks. is kind of fun also. I would love to go into either of them yelling ICE at the top of my lungs and see how many people get cut with knives while all of them run for cover.

I guess all those home grown Latinos who hate the illegals are just a bunch of conservatives although that sure isn't really the case. I wonder what yelling ICE at the polls on election day would do to the voting public there, also. Oh yeah, there are several more packing plants in southwest Kansas that employ as many illegals as residents, too and none of us really like having them around. I am glad they have to come here through Texas and Oklahoma although if they are caught in Oklahoma they get deported.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They aren't talking abou seceeding from the Union...they mean seceeding from the rest of Arizona.

Personally, i'm against it. I don't want to leave the most beautiful place in the whole world. I want THEM (the wacko's) to GTFOH and move their asses to another western state where they'd be more comfortable. Like Wyoming, Utah, or Idaho. Places where wackadoodlery is celebrated.
I understand you but don't think the DC people will allow something like you suggest and keep them in the Union. I think that talk of all this is just kind of a waste of time.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,485,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I see you have gotten out your crystal ball....
No crystal ball needed. El Paso is a liberal town but immigration law is enforced here and supported by the majority of El Pasoans. The cartels will never bring that violence into El Paso because they know that the military troops from Ft. Bliss will be deployed to the border with the first incident. It is believed that some cartel members are citizens who have nice homes and families here. They don't want to bring that into their own backyards. The cartels would not hesitate to infiltrate an area that is is more worried about the civil rights of illegal immigrants than they are about enforcing immigration law. That would seem like an ideal drug corridor. I can see it now......"Don't stop that car. They are hispanic and that would be racial profiling."

Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,152,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why is it then that Maricopa County (Phoenix) deported less than half as many illegals as Pima County, with less than half the population. Because unlike Phoenix they use the existing laws rather than sit whinig about needing more laws. Cochise County, where I live in the Baja, actually jailed employers for employing illegals. Maricopa does nothing but whine and pass laws that are meant to provide kickbacks for politicians like SB1070 and the "Fence".
While you are at it go over to your nearest meat packing plant or chicken processing plant and watch change of shift. Then go to YOUR Politicians and ask why so many illegals are employed there. When they have arrested the employer come back and tell me about my illegals
I addressed that in my topic located here https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...xplain-me.html

You'll find that I say there was never a need for SB1070 if the fascist (as in the real definition, not the made-up Hitler one) politicians in your state just passed a law giving a $1M penalty per worker found at a jobsite and force all police departments in the state to participate in 287(g). Problem solved, the root of the problem would have been tackled. But I realize that SB1070 was made to make it look like Brewer and the GOP are doing something, without really penalizing their business friends (same could be said about Democrats in Phoenix who refuse to even acknowledge there's a problem but instead throw around accusations of racism)

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,530,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I understand you but don't think the DC people will allow something like you suggest and keep them in the Union. I think that talk of all this is just kind of a waste of time.
Of course it is. But then most of this stuff on C-D is a complete waste of time. It's not like any of us are going to change the world.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,508,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
No crystal ball needed. El Paso is a liberal town but immigration law is enforced here and supported by the majority of El Pasoans. The cartels will never bring that violence into El Paso because they know that the military troops from Ft. Bliss will be deployed to the border with the first incident. It is believed that some cartel members are citizens who have nice homes and families here. They don't want to bring that into their own backyards. The cartels would not hesitate to infiltrate an area that is is more worried about the civil rights of illegal immigrants than they are about enforcing immigration law. That would seem like an ideal drug corridor. I can see it now......"Don't stop that car. They are hispanic and that would be racial profiling."
You mean the SAME Texas that is considering a law that punishes those who hire illegasl UNLESS they've hired that illegal as a maid or a gardener?

Is THAT the Texas you're talking about?

"As proposed, House Bill 1202 would create tough state punishments for those who "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly" hire an unauthorized immigrant. Violators could face up to two years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.

But it is an exception included in the bill that is drawing attention. Those who hire unauthorized immigrants would be in violation of the law -- unless they are hiring a maid, a lawn caretaker or another houseworker."

Texas immigration bill has big exception - CNN.com

Sounds pretty looney to me. Can't have them rich folks doing without their "help". I guess in Texas if you got money enough to hire "help" you're above the law eh?
With laws like that being considered do you REALLY want to put forth TEXAS as place to emulate in regards to immigration laws?
REALLY?

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies