Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
All on the republican's hands. They promised "Jobs are the #1 priority" coming in at the beginning of the year, they needed their oh-so-precious tax cuts for the rich extended though it continues to crush the economy, and in the end no jobs have been created,.....Well, only in china,..
I guess you are going to ignore Obama's numerous speeches about how he is laser focused on creating jobs??? Senate is still DEM, white house is still DEM, house is REP. We just finished 2 years of all 3 firmly controlled by DEMS, where are the jobs??? They NEVER gave a rats ass about creating jobs, only expanding government. They still don't give a rats ass about creating jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Put them to work!!!!!!! Fix roads pick up trash whatever

Sorry, the unions insist on having any work done by dues-paying members.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
How about hiring teens to clean up the broken glass after the riots during the long, hot summer?

Give em White Mule gloves and iPod shuffles. If they get out of line, load the iPods with Lawrence Welk music.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Ah yes... Those pesky "African american teens" will be at it again. Gotta love how the media race baits the public into pointing their finger at the blacks again. Nevermind that those kids are from economically depressed areas and instead of pointing that out they pick the easiest thing to claim - watch out for the black kids they're going to be violent because they can't get a job.

The "Mail Online" - Imagine that... the English playing the race card on us.

The whole article sounds like we should put the black kids to work building jails for their future.

This kinda crap makes me sick.
Whatever. Read the news for the next few months then get back to us.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:32 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Put them to work!!!!!!! Fix roads pick up trash whatever
Local farms, especially the one I help out at seasonally, are always advertising for harvesters in the summer. They had a hard time getting teens to do the work and/or stay on the job. The work wasn't all that bad, either, but it was physical. I'm over 50, and I had no problem doing it... Maybe kids nowadays are just too soft and selective about the work they want to do?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
They were discussing this on Black radio station I listen to in DC. The consensus is that the kids lack the drive earlier generations of blacks had. Callers called in about catching snakes for money. I'm 33 and my friends and I had all kinds of schemes to get money or food. We would go to the grocery store and help the ladies with their bags, we would go to Dominos and fold their boxes. We just got a pizza to share which to an 11 and 12 year old can be big deals.

Finally at 14 I got my first legit job. I walked into various places and asked if they needed help. I was too ignorant to know one had to fill out applications. Anyway I stumbled into a new bagel place and this Jewish man said he had no job but if I wore this bagel suit and head to the median and pass out bagels and fliers he'd give me 10 bucks. Did that for two or three days and was offered a minimum wage job that I loved.

I suspect stories like mine would not be possible today because we've become even more of a nanny state

Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect some folks In Alabama and Missippi could use some help cleaning up from the storms. If one cannot get paid, volunteerism can keep them out of trouble. However, those teens that will have a tendancy to get into trouble usually don't have parents to guide them towards such productivity.
Seriously...teenagers with an ounce of gumption will go find their own work to do. Washing cars? Doing yard work? Washing windows? Walking dogs? Babysitting? Delivering groceries? Cleaning houses?

Then there is also a slew of volunteer activities out there...animal shelter, road pick-up, food bank, etc, etc, etc...

Why is it we have to namby pamby everybody in this country?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Seriously...teenagers with an ounce of gumption will go find their own work to do. Washing cars? Doing yard work? Washing windows? Walking dogs? Babysitting? Delivering groceries? Cleaning houses?

Then there is also a slew of volunteer activities out there...animal shelter, road pick-up, food bank, etc, etc, etc...

Why is it we have to namby pamby everybody in this country?
I know I did by the age of 13. Of course today liberals would scream about "child labor". I don't feel deprived that I didn't play video games and sit inside all day.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
All on the republican's hands. They promised "Jobs are the #1 priority" coming in at the beginning of the year, they needed their oh-so-precious tax cuts for the rich extended though it continues to crush the economy, and in the end no jobs have been created,.....Well, only in china,..
This is Obama's show, especially in taking care of minorities for the last 3 years.
That aside, if you have a lousy kid, you have a real lousy parent. It is 99.8% of the time the parents.
Many parents these days should NOT have had kids.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Tax cuts and lower taxes benefit everyone since the more wealthy are also employers.
You don't motivate the better capable people in our society that make something and hire people to do so if you take overwhelming money away.

Even after tax cuts the more affluent (who earned their money) pay 55% in NY and a bit less than that in CA.
People need to be realistic, screw the wealthy and the poverty will get far worse, for no homeless people pay wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies