Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times

Advertisements

NATO strike 'kills Saif al-Arab Gaddafi', Libya says

I was sincerely pinning my hopes on Saif being the one to help negotiate a cease fire and convince his father to step down. He came out recently with very vehement words in support of his father, but I believe he was working "behind the scenes" to find a way out of this for everyone involved.
"They are looking for a way out," said the source. "It makes sense for Libya if there is a good exit [for Gaddafi]. What I understand they are saying is that the sons want to continue playing a political role [after the regime has fallen] by having their own party.

"They would accept an interim government and a transition period. What they will not accept is being forced to leave the country. It is what Saif has been working [on]. It is about getting the sides to sit down together and talk and also about having an exit strategy that is not insulting to Gaddafi: that leaves him but without power. That's what Saif is fighting for."

It is precisely this plan, the source confirmed, that Muhammad Ismail, Saif's senior aide and fixer, is said to have presented during a confidential visit to London last month where he met British officials.

The proposal, however, has been rejected emphatically not only by Libya's rebels but by western governments – the UK prominent among them – which insist on the departure of Gaddafi and his sons.

But questions remain. Is Saif the bellicose son of a tyrant, the would-be reformer educated at the London School of Economics, or something in-between?

Houni believes Saif was in earnest about his desire to reform the regime, before he made the decision to adopt his father's hard line.

"It is complicated. Saif was serious. Now [after that speech] no one in Libya takes what he has to say seriously any more. No one will accept what he has to offer. He spent five years trying to bring about change but his father would not have it. He might want to talk about negotiations but it isn't possible."

Saif Gaddafi: his father's son, or the would-be face of Libyan reform? | World news | The Guardian
Victory or Tragedy?

I'm leaning towards tragedy, myself. Feh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Libya is the epi-center of the globalists' plans for Africa. So, I guess it depends if you are cheering for the globalist agenda how you view it.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Qaddafi had two Saifs.
Saif al-Arab was the younger one.
Saif al-Islam is the one who went
to the London School of Economics.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,349 times
This is absolutely ridiculous. We are not supposed to be targetting Gadhafi's family, let alone Saif al-Arab, who had literally nothing to do with the military operations of his father. As a matter of fact, the whole point of this operation wasn't to even kill Muammar Gadhafi, just to spare the Libyan civilians of his wrath and terrorism.

NATO should issue an apology. Three children are killed, as well as a civilian man.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Not only his son but 3 of his grandchildren were killed as well.

How is bombing homes "protecting the air space" ?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Way to embolden Gaddafi and deepen his resolve

I wonder how Obama would feel if his daughters were targeted?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM

760 posts, read 685,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

What does this have to do with Obama?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:

I thought we weren't targeting him.
Saif al-Arab is now the second of his sons killed in this conflict.
(Not to mention three grandchildren.)
At this point, there is no doubt that Qaddafi will retaliate
with another terrorist attack if given a chance. We had
better not give him that chance. No going back now.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
I don't care if you are a conservative or a liberal this is a heinous action, period. I don't understand how murdering this man's family is making America, the West or even Libya better.

You can't say you want to enter a civil war to end senseless slaughter and commit sensless slaughter yourself. Watch for the Arab League to distance itself even further from this action.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:36 PM

334 posts, read 528,771 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
What does this have to do with Obama?
EVERYTHING has something to do with Obama. Didn't you know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies