Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM

3,326 posts, read 3,184,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
The same goes for us in the south. We abhor so much of your culture from the north, your ideas and many of the people, but you are Americans. Just please stay up north.
If only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Just what I was thinking. It seems that this country does just that all of the time. we go to war with (pick your country), then we rebuild it for them. The south would not have needed so much rebuilding if Sherman would not have ravaged the south he did, especially since he knew the war was over.
In what way did the north rebuild the south? All I'm aware of are carpetbaggers that continued to loot the south, at least until the occupation was over.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,052,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Why is repeatably being there for your compatriots "negative"?
Because you pitted it as one beleaguered region of the country having to assist another region of the country which evidently is unable to help itself.

Your title was patronizing and demeaning to the South. And you know this.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,846,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I was all ready to get pissed until I read your post. Bad title, dude. The rest of the country will have to rebuild parts of the the midwest, too. That's what America does.
Oh I don't know about that- when California is getting abused by Texas corporation, is Texas standing up for California? When a northern state is having budgetary woes, you hear glee from the south? They install politicians to hobble recovery efforts?

The republican party is not loyal to the United States but they expect all others to be loyal to them. You know, like the very welfare queens they claim northerners to be. Only it is they who are what they accuse. I have no intrinsic hatred of any region of America, but spitting in the face of those helping when it is they who requested the help is a legitimate grievance 'blue states' have.

When Katrina turns into a debacle, I hear outrage from california and NC dems. Nary a peep out of R's, save for the talk claiming it was God's retribution. Same story about WTC attacks. Conservative media points a camera at sick muslims dancing in the street with glee, but those very same characters in conservative camp have a grin on their face. They just go about their celebration differently.

It's a good thing I know first hand not all southerners are 'like minded' about that, but it's no coincidence their voice is regularly drowned out for years. Culturally speaking, southern hospitality gets drowned out by southern retribution. Bony finger of denial comes out quick to claim I'm disrespecting the south, but I'm only pointing out how they're disrespecting themselves. I'm out something honorable and truly worthy of defense that's been neglected. BUT, what does a 'damned yankee' know?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,779,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The title is not meant to be bad. It is a statement of fact.

I don't think that northerners mind helping fellow Americans; its called patriotism.
Who "paid" for bailing out all those northern car factories and banks the past two years????

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,077,103 times
They sure took a hard hit. I feel bad about that, and maybe can step in for labor, if I can find out more.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,077,103 times
Quote:
The same goes for us in the south. We abhor so much of your culture from the north, your ideas and many of the people, but you are Americans. Just please stay up north.
Really ?.. No one minded my roofing and const in Katrina. Not a word was said about my NH tags either. I had a great time meeting other people and bustin my tail for fixing buildings then, Stay up here huh?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh I don't know about that- when California is getting abused by Texas corporation, is Texas standing up for California? When a northern state is having budgetary woes, you hear glee from the south? They install politicians to hobble recovery efforts?
Just what "texas corporation would that be?

Quote:
The republican party is not loyal to the United States but they expect all others to be loyal to them. You know, like the very welfare queens they claim northerners to be. Only it is they who are what they accuse. I have no intrinsic hatred of any region of America, but spitting in the face of those helping when it is they who requested the help is a legitimate grievance 'blue states' have.
I find this assertion ludacris.

Quote:
When Katrina turns into a debacle, I hear outrage from california and NC dems. Nary a peep out of R's, save for the talk claiming it was God's retribution. Same story about WTC attacks. Conservative media points a camera at sick muslims dancing in the street with glee, but those very same characters in conservative camp have a grin on their face. They just go about their celebration differently.
Strangely, I've been paying attention and I have yet to hear the republican party to claim it was gods work. I did, however, find this administration's reaction to the gulf oil spill to be wholly inadequate.

Quote:
It's a good thing I know first hand not all southerners are 'like minded' about that, but it's no coincidence their voice is regularly drowned out for years. Culturally speaking, southern hospitality gets drowned out by southern retribution. Bony finger of denial comes out quick to claim I'm disrespecting the south, but I'm only pointing out how they're disrespecting themselves. I'm out something honorable and truly worthy of defense that's been neglected. BUT, what does a 'damned yankee' know?
My personal experience has been northerners seem to know little of the south, our culture, our people, our history, or our aspirations.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,908,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Terrible title thread - playing politics with the loss of lives of fellow Americans? Shame on you.

Last night was a historic night for tornadoes. 160 tornadoes reported. April 2011 is now the month with the most tornadoes ever. The radar signature of those storms were classic. But the most amazing one was that one storm that started in Philadelphia, MS and ripped through Tuscaloosa & Birmingham, AL, then hit the Rome, GA area and even spun a tornado in NE GA in the mountains. Talk about a long path of destruction - wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Before I add my 2 cents. I wanted to say that I am fascinated by weather! I am hoping to enroll in classes for meteorology here in the Fall. If not this Fall (a few other things have to play out to determine when I enroll) then it has to be next year for sure!

NOW that I have that out of the way, I want rant a bit! My wife and I last night watched on the Weather Channel, a significant weather event unfold, which rivals the 1974 Super Outbreak! I started flipping through the major news networks, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, HLN, and CNN only had a small blurb about it! Maybe it was timing on my part, but I remember Katrina, and the 1999 Oklahoma City tornado and most recently the Japan earthquake, and tsunami, andthe non-stop coverage for days! I mean, really! A significant weather event like this, and barely any mention by the news networks last night?! WTF??? Instead, it was the same old BS, the royal wedding, Obama's birth certificate, Donald Trump, Libya, Syria, ect. ect. ect! I guess our fellow Americans who are suffering, play second fiddle when it comes to the other BS! God bless those in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia who lost everything yesterday! This American hasn't forgotten about you! I wish you all a speedy recovery, and my condolences to those families that lost their loved ones to yesterday's storms.

ITA with both of these. If you want to have a north/south debate you can do so without bringing up this storm and the plight of people who have lost so much, some even their lives. Very bad taste in terms of a title.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,764,188 times
What a horrible thread title. No surprise this is getting very little play in the media, and as far as I have heard, no statement from Obama so far either. Nashville was almost completely ignored when we flooded last year. I'm still waiting for Obama to make a statement about that. But luckily we had enough "rednecks" here that we rebuilt ourselves. I loved the comments from the national media who were so blown away by the Nashville's community spirit. Anderson Cooper said in all the disasters he ever covered, he had never been to a place that took care of their own like Tennessee did. That was after he apologized for rhe media ignoring our flood until almost a week after it happened. Strangers got together in crews and went up and down streets seeing who they could help.
I feel confident the good people of Alabama and MS will do the same. And our great Tennesseans will go down there to give them a hand as well. Just as we went to NYC after 9-11 and will go back after after the next major disaster. And we won't post obnoxious thread titles about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies