Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times

Advertisements

The general mindset of Americans has been to go after their own best interests. So, why are many people haggling about the fiscal state of the country? It would only be natural for today's baby-boomers and middle-aged people to want deficit spending to continue, no? Federal programs are extremely beneficial to them. By the time the fiscal house is totally in order, these people would essentially be dead, and not have to worry about the country.

This is similar to taking out a huge loan, blowing all the cash, and then dying. You really don't have to foot any of the bill because you're dead. Not a classy thing to do, but possible nonetheless. Basically, what is stopping you from maxing the credit card and going down the pay-off-all-my-debts-before-I-die path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,895,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
The general mindset of Americans has been to go after their own best interests. So, why are many people haggling about the fiscal state of the country? It would only be natural for today's baby-boomers and middle-aged people to want deficit spending to continue, no? Federal programs are extremely beneficial to them. By the time the fiscal house is totally in order, these people would essentially be dead, and not have to worry about the country.

This is similar to taking out a huge loan, blowing all the cash, and then dying. You really don't have to foot any of the bill because you're dead. Not a classy thing to do, but possible nonetheless. Basically, what is stopping you from maxing the credit card and going down the pay-off-all-my-debts-before-I-die path?
You may know the "Theory of Relativity", but you're no Einstein...!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
Most people have relatives decades younger than them. So when they are buried and not accountable for the debt, their relatives would be living in huts, put into permanent destitution due to their ancestors.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM

59,225 posts, read 27,416,604 times
Quote:

Some of us us actually care what happens to our Country!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
I wish the preoccupation with growing government and spending money that other people have earned would pass.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,388,480 times
Your debts must be discharged upon your death. It comes out of your estate. Even the Feds get you with a death tax which is a second taxation on assests and money you have already been taxed upon. When your estate runs out of money, they pay the most important debts first.

Guess who is first? Yep the Fed's death tax. What is left over is divided amoung the creditors and then if there is anything left over, it will pass to the heirs, who will be taxed on an inheritance. It all a systematic scheme for the government to steal your money.

In the case of the now 14 trillion dollar debt, it passess to the next generation of tax payers, on top of the entitlements already in place. This is a roadmap toward bankruptcy. The Chinese will be able to conquer this country without ever firing one shot. The deficit must be paid off, the size of government must be downsized dramatically, and the government must be made to balance the budget every year.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
I've repped every comment so far because whether folks are on the left of right of this issue, I think that everyone involved in this conversation is concerned about the country even when we vociferously disagree about what course of action is best.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've repped every comment so far because whether folks are on the left of right of this issue, I think that everyone involved in this conversation is concerned about the country even when we vociferously disagree about what course of action is best.
Yep. That's basically all I am questioning.

People have always been selfish and about themselves, but we are finally working towards a common goal of fiscal responsibility. I like that.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM

30,087 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:

Something about hyperinflation, currency devalution and civil anarachy just bugs people. I don't know why.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Yep. That's basically all I am questioning.

People have always been selfish and about themselves, but we are finally working towards a common goal of fiscal responsibility.
Call me an eternal optimist, but I believe that human selfishness also recognizes that the health of the whole is not only important but absolutely vital to the health of oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies