Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times

Advertisements

He's got his campaign folks working on a new batch of promises and plenty of feel-good fuzzy words to address the "old" promises which I'm sure he couldn't keep because it was "Bush's fault".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,011,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
I think it's good to hold our leaders accountable, but it's also important to realize that Congress, and not the President, is why Gitmo hasn't closed and we don't have a Public Option.
What more does a president need to get his agenda passed if not 60 votes in the Senate and a huge majority in the House?

He had that, couldn't get it done.

The lady in the video wonders if his "change", "yes we can" were just slogans.

Can you imagine being that duped and bamboozled you can't even recognize a con-man when you see one?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,001,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Obama campaigned on closing Gitmo, whether that's
something Congress does or not.
Obama never fought for the public option
at all - I don't think he even campaigned on it.

And Obama campaigned against an insurance mandate.

He's following a play by play Clinton foreign policy
in Libya. I'm wondering who really is running the
show.... certainly not Obama.
The Public Option never stood a chance. Obama could have given a speech everyday, but it still wouldn't get enough votes to pass the Senate.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,445,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have little respect for folks who start off a thread with a video. How about at least trying to express your own opinion so we can see if it has merit.
I've expressed my opinion on Obama and his broken promises in the past. However, here it is again quickly.....Obama is nothing but a lying Republican lite, I'm sick and tired of his BS excuses...and I'm very sorry I ever supported him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
But...you will vote for him, won't you?
Absolutely NO WAY..

Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I've expressed my opinion on Obama and his broken promises in the past. However, here it is again quickly.....Obama is nothing but a lying Republican lite, I'm sick and tired of his BS excuses...and I'm very sorry I ever supported him.

Absolutely NO WAY..
Well, I would no longer include you as one of the faithful that shuts their eyes and ears to what he is doing. Of course, you look at his actions from the Left side of the spectrum, to you he hasn't done enough. I'm on the polar opoosite of that.

But it IS refreshing to hear some honesty from a former obama supporter.

You do realize he will try to convince you of his successes, try to convince you he has done all he said he would do in order to get you out to vote for him once again.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM

And for those who argue that having a 60 vote majority in the Senate means that everything should have passed really don't understand the fundamentals of Washington D.C.

Guys like Liebermann, Ben Nelson, and other Blue Dogs receive a boatload of cash from the insurance industry. Most of them live in states that are home to the insurance corporations. It's not in their best interests to pass a Public Option. Their best bet was to pass the Romney style plan that gives the insurance industry more customers while lowering the deficit long term.

The mandate became the only option when Karen Ignagni, the leader of the trade group that represents the health insurance lobby, almost killed the whole thing when the Public Option was making progress on the Hill.

Before the Public Option, Ignagni said "You have our commitment to play, to contribute and to pass health care reform this year.†She wanted a mandate from the beginning, not a Public Option. That's why the airwaves were littered with anti-health reform ads during this time.

I'm amazed how little some of you know about D.C., yet you waste all day everyday on a politics forum.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times
Sanrene, I personally know of a black promoter who worked with Obama, and he is not going to work or vote for him again. He is more angery than I am. He feels betrayed.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Sanrene, I personally know of a black promoter who worked with Obama, and he is not going to work or vote for him again. He is more angery than I am. He feels betrayed.
Sounds familar. You wouldn't be...nah.

Hmm. Prominent Conservative Radio Hosts Planted Scripted Actors Among Callers | Crooks and Liars

Old 04-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
He is losing support across the board - blacks, hispanics, whites, young, old, rich, poor.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
The Public Option never stood a chance. Obama could have given a speech everyday, but it still wouldn't get enough votes to pass the Senate.
I'm saying Obama never voiced a support of a public option,
when he was running for President. I think folks might have assumed it, because he was a democrat.

But at a time when over 70 percent of all Americans wanted a public option, that means: because of lobbying,
corruption, and payoffs, Obama is not the only one not
listening to his constituents - neither is our Congress
members.

Obama said the public option "has become a source of ideological contention between the left and right." But, he added, "I didn't campaign on the public option."

Now, some are calling him a liar on this - I'm not one
of them

Last edited by pollyrobin; 04-15-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies