Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times

Advertisements

It's cheaper in the South. I know the temptation to score political points is high, but don't read too much into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I would argue that blacks fled the South to get away from overt bigotry and are now fleeing the North to get away from covert bigotry--the soft bigotry of low expectations.

You can argue all you want, but that don't make it true.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,859,880 times
Blacks fled the South for jobs; blacks are fleeing Blue States for jobs.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
It's just sad and pathetic how many people think this had to do with political affiliation or policy instead of just plain economics.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Yeah, I don't think it's "those blacks who could finally think for themselves" and left because of liberal social policies, like the conservatives here are making it out. Southern cities have a lot more space to go around and land to build cheap housing on. They're also not cold. Lots of whites have moved for this reason, and I doubt they're all born again conservatives. Look at NC and Virginia.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
OK fine, but you ignore one big factor--the failure of liberal economics.

I would argue that blacks fled the South to get away from overt bigotry and are now fleeing the North to get away from covert bigotry--the soft bigotry of low expectations.
"Liberal economics" did a very good job of building the white middle class - and it's the only thing sustaining it. The problem black people had is that they were purposefully left out of it, sometimes due to white southerners (this one is particularly true at the national level), sometimes due to ethnic whites in the north.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
They were poor, they couldn't leave..Now more of them middle-class or upper middle class so they can leave.
And black immigrants prefer the South (Nigerians in Texas, Haitians in Florida..)
Talk about "naive"! Black immigrants go to where all other "immigrants" go to when they first come to the US. They go to a city where their own people are.
A Nigerian goes to Texas because their is a "Nigerian" community there!
A Haitian goes to Florida or basically Miami because their is a large population of Haitians there.
As for "black Americans" fleeing blue states? They are returning to their roots in the South but that doesn't mean all of sudden they will start voting for "cracker white" good ole' boys & start voting in Conservatives!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,454 times
Perhaps, young and educated African-Americans from the blue states think it's going to be easier competing for jobs against folks from Texas, Florida and Georgia.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Blacks fled the South for jobs; blacks are fleeing Blue States for jobs.
Pretty much.

And that's all there is to it.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's just sad and pathetic how many people think this had to do with political affiliation or policy instead of just plain economics.
I agree with this. It is also hilarious to me that one would think that just because someone moves it means their political affiliations will magically change. I live in GA and I have not changed my view on republicans since living here. I came for college and stayed because I could find good jobs mostly because of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Perhaps, young and educated African-Americans from the blue states think it's going to be easier competing for jobs against folks from Texas, Florida and Georgia.
ITA with this. I have found that the educational system here in GA is severely lacking. Even areas where whites live are just average when the white people think they are great school systems or great schools. I have never been without good employment unless it was by choice (I was a stay at home mom for a time after the birth of each of my children). I find that most people my age here in Atlanta who are from Atlanta cannot read and write effectively or do simple computer applications, like know how to use Microsoft Office Systems. It is sad actually. They also cannot speak well in a business setting unless they are from a small elite group and honestly even the ones who went to the "good schools" who are black are not all that difficult for me to compete against for positions. I hire a lot of people now at my job and we usually will hire a transplant over a native because they know how to use a computer and write a complete sentence.

FWIW, my husband and I are looking to move back north to the midwest. Chicago specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies